Jungle.

Make My Heart Race
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

for Ive666;; (2531 words)

Going to the jungle was everything Sungyeol could have asked for. Sometimes he still can't believe that he was the one casted - he blushingly remembers the way his voice had squeaked in front of the CEO when he asked are you sure they want me? - but it wasn't a mistake and the staff were more than welcoming, inviting him on to the show with open arms.

 

The other guys were great about it, encouraging him all the way up until it was time to leave for the airport. Some of the advice was practical - Sunggyu's stern voice reminding him to take care of his image, that his actions reflected on Infinite as a whole - and some of it was silly - like when Dongwoo made him promise to try every kind of food they offered him, even if it was bugs.

 

But the words that stuck out the most to him were from Myungsoo, his best friend looking halfway nervous and mostly relieved when he finally spoke what was on his mind - don't forget about us... about me.

 

And at the time Sungyeol thought the words were borderline ridiculous; how could he ever forget about Infinite, let alone Myungsoo? They were like his family, he was closer to s than he was to his own brother, which might have been messed up but it was the truth. Infinite had been there for him before the popularity, and they would be there for him after.

 

He thought about Myungsoo's words the whole flight over, crossing the Pacific Ocean with only thoughts of the visual filling his head. He wondered offhandedly what could have made his best friend so insecure. Sure he had been excited about the opportunity to go to the jungle - more like happy, optimistic, ecstatic - but he was sure that any of the members would have reacted the same way if they were given the chance to be on the show. One of the most rewarding aspects of being an idol - a successful idol, his mind corrected him - was having the ability to travel the world.

 

Infinite's world tour was just around the corner, and soon enough he would be going to far away places he had only read about in books; he couldn't wait to visit the temples of Dubai, to look at art in the museums of Paris, to see the bright lights of New York City. There were just so many possibilities, so many experiences that he knew would open his eyes to the world at large. Sometimes he got so stuck in his own little bubble; of the idol world and comebacks, photoshoots and superficial interviews, dance practices and recording studios, that he forgot that he was a 23 year old who was supposed to be having fun, being young and feeling free.

 

That's why he was so enthusiastic about visiting the jungle; not only would he get to travel to a brand new continent, but he would get to 'rough' it so to speak, live off the land and see up close all the bright colors of the plants, to take pictures with exotic animals, and taste - admittedly maybe questionable - foreign foods. And in a strange sort of way he felt more comfortable approaching something like this than performing in a concert; he felt confident that he would be an active participant, a team player for the staff. He could easily see himself being a leader in the jungle; whether it be something as mundane as what they would eat for lunch or as important as building stronger shelter to rest in during the night.

 

But that was what the company wanted him to do; they wanted him to represent Infinite well and to be hardworking. Standing on his own, without his other members to fall back on, would force him to grow in a positive way.

 

So when Myungsoo asked him not to forget him Sungyeol laughed it off; chalking it up to his best friend being his usual, clingy self.

 

But then he got to the jungle, and he felt like everything changed. He chopped off his hair, forgoing long locks and styling products for the practicality of a short cut. He did away with makeup all together, choosing to indulge in the wildlife all around him instead of sitting under a tent getting pampered by stylists. He let his natural skin show, not bothering to cover up any blemishes or marks that he acquired from being out in nature. His previously light skin grew tan and dark; the strong, unrelenting sun turning him a nice shade of bronze.

 

In an essence, even though he was filming as Infinite's Sungyeol, with every change, with every moment away from Korea he felt like Lee Sungyeol was emerging. He was shedding his idol skin, exposing a personality that was more carefree and independent, more like the real him. He was young at heart, curious and innocent, a side of himself that he rarely got to show in the idol world. He always felt like he had to be careful in interviews; all it took was one misconstrued statement to turn public opinion against him, or worse, s.

 

But in the jungle they didn't ask him silly things like what was his ideal type or who he wished to collaborate with someday. Here they asked him about his interests; what was he learning from living in nature, what survival skills could he take home with him. Sungyeol felt like he was being treated like an adult, like a real person, not a fabrication of a man that was created and decided in the boardroom of the company.

 

With each day and with every new experience, he pushed himself to grow, challenged himself to go all in, no matter what the task.

 

And the most shocking part of all was that he was successful.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter