maybe this time

bursts of imagination

It took a whole year for Kyungsoo and Jongin to meet again. A whole year of absolute nothing. So when they cross paths at Baekhyun's party, everything comes crashing down. It fills up the void of last year and threatens emotions to come spilling.

Jongin throws him a soft smile and Kyungsoo reciprocates with a hesitant one. It's always Kyungsoo that's hesitant. Not Jongin. Never Jongin.

"Baekhyun didn't tell me you were coming." Kyungsoo says first, sitting down two chairs away from Jongin. He pretends not to see the flicker on Jongin's gaze because the Jongin he knows never second guesses. Or doubts.

Doubting is Kyungsoo's job.

"I told him not to tell you." Jongin says, eyes staring down at his glass of vodka and seemingly contemplating. "We both knew you wouldn't come if you knew I would be here."

Kyungsoo doesn't say anything back, letting the silence confirm what Jongin said. Because Kyungsoo's a coward and he's long accepted that. Of course Jongin would know.

"Now you're just being harsh." he lets his eyes travel back to Jongin's features for the second time that night. He stares and stares, trying to tattoo the image of the younger inside his head - and heart.

"How have you been?" Jongin startles him and he looks away, embarrassed at being caught staring. He fakes interest over his own glass of juice and sighs fondly.

"I'm great. I visited Luhan two weeks ago and he says he'll be coming back soon." Then he hesitates once more. "How about you?"

He sees Jongin sit up straighter and he ducks his head to hide the smile on his face.

He shoud have stayed that way.

Toning down his smile, he lifts his head to look at Jongin once again. But all he sees is a girl sitting on Jongin's lap, kissing him and he doesn't waste a second to stand up.

He sees Jongin's gaze tear itself away from the girl to Kyungsoo. All Kyungsoo sees is Jongin's hand on the girl's hips.

He flashes a pained smile at him and shakes his head when Jongin makes a move to stand up.

And then he walks away.

 

 

 

 

It's another six months before they meet again.

It's unexpected this time when Kyungsoo drops by the ice cream shop to buy a treat for his niece. He tries to ignore the fact that it's beside Jongin's apartment.

It's too late when he sees Jongin, the younger already looking at him and Kyungsoo could feel everything disappear.

Jongin's wearing a plain white shirt and gray sweatpants. Kyungsoo snorts because Jongin's eyes are puffy and his hair is disheveled. He just woke up.

"Ice cream for breakfast?" Kyungsoo breaks the silence, looking down at the tubs behind the glass. When he doesn't hear anything, he looks up and finds Jongin still staring at him, a small smile on his lips.

"What?" he asks but Jongin just shakes his head, still staring at Kyungsoo like he's trying to memorize everything from the man in front of him right now. Kyungsoo ignores the pounding inside his chest.

Someone's phone goes off and Kyungsoo sees Jongin wince, fishing his phone from his pocket and turning around to answer it. Kyungsoo doesn't know why he's still watching. It's none of his business.

"I'll be back soon." he hears Jongin whisper and he feels the first stab of pain on his chest. "Don't move too much, okay?"

Kyungsoo could still hear Jongin's mumbling when he turns around and walks out of the store.

Jongin hears the bell chime when the door closes and he only manages to catch a glimpe of Kyungsoo's back before he's gone again.

For how long he doesn't know.

 

 

 

 

It's a year and a half later when Jongin seeks Kyungsoo out.

The older male stares wide-eyed at a drenched Jongin. It's storming outside and Kyungsoo foregoes the hesitation when he ushers Jongin inside.

He hears the younger male mumble something but he make it out, too busy pushing Jongin inside the bathroom so he could shower.

Left alone, Kyungsoo paces inside his room, worrying his lip because Jongin is here. He hears the whistle of the wind outside and the pounding of the rain against his window. He imagines Jongin walking outside in this weather and his heart clenches.

He's too lost in thought he doesn't hear the door open or the soft footsteps padding over carpet.

"Hyung."

Kyungsoo turns around in an instant and Jongin embraces him like he's been meaning to all along. Kyungsoo stiffens. But he feels Jongin's skin cold against his, the shivers racking up his frame and he wraps his arms around him as well, hesitation disappearing.

"There's no one else, hyung."

Kyungsoo shuts his eyes close, hugs Jongin just a little bit tighter.

"There's only ever been you. Just you."

Kyungsoo nods repeatedly, stiffling a gasp when he feels something warm seep into the fabric of his shirt. It contrasts so greatly against Jongin's cold skin and Kyungsoo frowns.

"Only you Kyungsoo."

He nods once again, cradling Jongin's head against his as they fall down the floor, Jongin's weight too much for Kyungsoo.

They're sitting down on the floor in an awkward angle, limbs tangling against each other but Kyungsoo doesn't move. Jongin only hugs him tighter.

"Don't leave me again."

Kyungsoo breathes deeply and the sound of the storm dies down on his heart as he nods one final time.

"I won't."