getting mud (isn't so bad after all)

bursts of imagination

Title: Getting Mud (isn't so bad after all)
Pairing: Kai/D.O
Length: 843w
Summary: Jongin doesn't like going to the farm - he especially doesn't like being submerged in mud but Kyungsoo says otherwise.

 


"Come on." Kyungsoo whined, tugging on the other kid's hand quite furiously. "It'll be fun!"

"Mud isn't fun and it's dirty and disgusting. Why do you even want to cover yourself in mud?" The other counters back, trying to pull his hand away from Kyungsoo.

"It is fun and it's not disguting," Kyungsoo rebuts quickly though he scrunches his nose as he contemplates his next words. "although it is dirty."

Jongin just rolls his eyes, pulling his hand back with force and huffing in success when Kyungsoo accidentally let goes. "My mom would have a hysterical fit if he knew I went out and got myself covered in filth out there."

"For a fourteen year old, you sure are a baby." Kyungsoo complains, adjusting the hat on his head and folding the edge of his pants up to his knees. "I'll just ask Chanyeol then."

Jongin could feel his eye twitch at the mention of the other boy. It's not that he doesn't like Chanyeol, he just doesn't like Chanyeol with Kyungsoo.

"Why are you inviting that giant?" he asks, trying to be nonchalant as he could. "He's a messy tangle of limbs. He'll probably trip and cover you both in mud."

"At least he's not such a princess." Kyungsoo teased, poking his tongue out at Jongin. He actually really wants the other boy to come with him because this is the first time he's got someone to play with other than Chanyeol (and the chickens and pigs and goats) but if Jongin doesn't want to come then he'll just have to deal with it.

Jongin hates it when he's quick to notice Kyungsoo's face droop in an unmistakable dissapointment, lips tugging downward in the slightest. It's been two days since his dad had forced him to stay with his friend so he could apparently learn the ways of being a man but it's his first time to actually go out and dirty himself in the field. It doesn't help that he hates how Kyungsoo could make him feel so guilty.

"Fine!" he huffs, crossing his arms and avoiding looking at the older because he's sure that he'll see the smugness clear as day on Kyungsoo's face.

He doesn't hear Kyungsoo reply but he does see the older terribly close to him; close enough that he could hear Kyungsoo's breathing.

"There!" Kyungsoo nods happily and Jongin realized that the older male had folded his long sleeves past his elbow. "Good thing you're wearing shorts. Let's go?"

Jongin only nods, cheeks unmistakably flushed. Kyungsoo snickers and holds his hand, leading him farther. He doesn't even register that they're already crossing the river and that his feet is covered in water and weeds.

"Why are we doing this again?" he asks, face contorting bitterly when he sees the vast expanse of land in front of him. There was mud - everywhere.

"Because dad and the others are going to plow the land soon to prepare for rice planting. We're here to collect these little guys so they don't eat the grass." Kyungsoo informs him while raising his hand, something brown held between his fingers.

Jongin stares at it blankly before wailing and Kyungsoo rolls his eyes, dragging Jongin towards the land and laughing when Jongin screams even louder, mud almost at his knee.

Jongin watch with tearful eyes as the mud swallows his feet then to Kyungsoo who's already bowing down, hands submerge in mad. He whimpers again before daring to touch and Kyungsoo could only snort when he hears another pitiful cry.

The crickets are loud when it's near nighttime.

"I am never going back in there. Ever." Jongin shrieked, rubbing furiously on his knees and then on his arms. They had spent almost two hours submerged in mud before Kyungsoo called it a day.

The sunset was already glaring red when they got back and Jongin cringed when he felt the mud already hardening on his skin. He can't believe Kyungsoo had forced him to gather snails - at least it looked like snails to Jongin.

"But it was fun, right?" Kyungsoo asked and Jongin turns to glare at him with a big NO. But it doesn't happen because he sees Kyungsoo's hopeful face, probably waiting for Jongin to agree and he just couldn't say anything negative anymore.

"Yeah." he mumbles, looking down at his hand and blushing again.

"When you go back home, don't forget me okay?" Kyungsoo blurts out suddenly and Jongin looks up again, eyes wide and then he's shaking his head furiously.

"Of course I won't!" he yells defensively and then Kyungsoo's laughing that beautiful laugh again. "I'll ask your dad to let you go with us!"

Kyungsoo stops his laughter and stares at him for a few seconds and then a soft smile crosses his face as he nods once. He knows he can't stay with Jongin but he's not going to bring that up. "You better have fresh milk there everyday."

Jongin just grins and nods enthusiastically, looking down again as he blushes for the nth time that day.