philophobia

bursts of imagination

 

 

Kyungsoo doesn't like a lot of things, Baekhyun knows. He knows because he's been there though it all. He's lucky Kyungsoo kept him around. Him and Jongdae.

Baekhyun sees so many people pass by Kyungsoo's life and he's thankful the smaller male still kept him around. It's not that Kyungsoo is difficult to love. On the contrary, a lot of people like him but Kyungsoo's the one who leaves them behind.

He always leaves them behind.

"Why do you do that?" Baekhyun asks one time, voice calm and controlled but the exasperation can still be heared. Albeit miniscule and almost indicipherable, it is still there.

Kyungsoo's in the middle of drinking but he pauses, throwing Baekhyun a look the other doesn't understand. "I just feel like it."

Baekhyun frowns, not saying anything else and hoping that someday, Kyungsoo would tell him everything. He should, right? What was his purpose of keeping Baekhyun around if not for being his best friend.

He watches Kyungsoo closely every time they're together, Jongdae occasionally butting in whenever he has time off work. He always does, eyes never straying far enough from Kyungsoo to miss anything remotely important to notice.

"I thought you were a fan?" he asks during dinner, looking at the tickets in front of him in confusion.

"Not anymore." Kyungsoo says shortly, forcing Baekhyun to take the tickets of a band's concert. Baekhyun remembers Kyungsoo gushing about it when the news came out. He's confused.

When Jongin came to the picture, Baekhyun was almost sure Kyungsoo would be settling down soon. He's witnessed a lot of people try to catch Kyungsoo's attention, but never one that came as far as Jongin did.

So when Jongin messaged him to take care of Kyungsoo one night, he's confused again.

"Why?" is all he asks this time when he goes to Kyungsoo's house. Kyungsoo looks like he hasn't sleep and Baekhyun frowns deeper, pushing the strands of hair sticking on Kyungsoo's forehead.

"I was falling." Kyungsoo says and Baekhyun's fingers stop.

He gets it now.

So he keeps watching, but he never questions anymore. Weeks, months and years passed by and Baekhyun's glad he's still here by Kyungsoo's side.

"You should just date." Jongdae comments nonchalantly one night and Baekhyun laughs, finding the idea ridiculous even if it sounded very appealing on his ears (and heart). He turns to look at Kyungsoo, expecting the disgusted look on his friend's face but he finds none.

The next day, he finds out from Jongdae that Kyungsoo's on an indefinite leave. He looks at his own phone and sees nothing.

Baekhyun always knows so he never questions.

But it still hurts.