bench chances

bursts of imagination

Title: Bench Chances
Pairing: Kai/D.O
Length: 871w

Summary: What to do when you're stuck with four persons on your first date?

 

First dates are supposed to be romantic, breath-taking and sweet. The two of you holding hands and basking in the moment of being alone. Yes, alone together and in love. And in this we find Kim Jongin and Do Kyungsoo sitting side by side on one of the benches at the nearby park. Perfect. If you didn't actually count the other persons sitting next to them.

"I think Sehun's looking for you, hyung. You should go find him." Jongin kindly informed Luhan who was comfortably sitting next to him, legs crossed and playing something on his phone. The older looked up to see Jongin smiling at him, though it actually looks like more of a grimace than anything.

"I don't think he does. He has classes until late this evening." and with that, the older returned to fiddling with his phone, Jongin being left smiling at nothing while his eyebrow twitch in his attempt to stay pleasant

Swallowing inaudibly, Jongin turned to face his left where Kyungsoo was sitting beside him, only to find his date engrossed in something that Baekhyun and Chanyeol were telling him. Chanyeol caught his eye and the other gave a grin before nodding on whatever Baekhyun was saying. Jongin, with his forever plastered smile on, told himself it was okay. Smooth, Jongin.

Tapping his foot to an invisible rhythm, stealing a glance at his watch once in a while and humming whatever music comes up on the radio nearby, Jongin could actually feel his patience dwindling  as seconds ticked by. The sun was almost setting and he just spent the whole afternoon listening to Luhan's fingers tapping on his phone , Baekhyun and Chanyeol's voice and absolutely nothing from Kyungsoo.

"Guys."

"Not now Jongin, Baek's in the middle of telling something exciting."

He abruptly shut his mouth close, puckering his lips to avoid pouting. He doesn't want Kyungsoo to see him pouting, that would definitely ruin the image he had built for him. Though some of it might have slipped because he was just too annoyed to keep pleasant anymore.

"Hyung, we really-"

Luhan waved a hand in dismissal, telling him to not disturb him as the Chinese pummeled some alien on his phone. He made a sound of indignation at the back of this throat. So everyone decided to crash on his first date with Kyungsoo and now they're all ignoring him in favor of his date and a phone. Kyungsoo stole a glance at him and offered a small smile but Jongin was already too disappointed to actually smile back. He saw Kyungsoo's hand resting just beside his own and he inched his hand slowly to take it, a smile on his lips as something, finally, decided to go along his way. A cry of success was ready when Baekhyun decided to interfere and grasp Kyungsoo's hand to sway it around.

"Baek-"

"What?"

"Chanyeol, can you please-"

"Baekhyunnie's so cute, right Kyunggie?"

"Guys, seriou-"

"Shut up, Chanyeol."

"Luhan-hyung, can you-

"Be quiet."

"CAN YOU JUST PLEASE ALL ING SHUT UP AND LET ME HOLD KYUNGSOO'S HAND?!"

More than four set of eyes looked at Jongin, as parents ushered their children away, telling them that the park wasn't a safe place after the sun sets. He bit his lip in annoyance, both at himself and at the persons beside him, excluding Kyungsoo of course. He saw Baekhyun and Chanyeol saying goodbye to them and walking off, followed by Luhan who simply told him Sehun's class was almost finished and that he needed to be there before the younger decides to go home by himself.

"I'm sorry." Jongin whispered, running a hand through his messy hair and letting out a frustrated sigh. "I never imagined they would show up like that. It's-" he took a deep breath, disappointment oozing wave after wave from him. "It's okay if you go home now. It's late already and-

Words stopped coming out from Jongin's mouth when he felt something warm cover his hand. He turned to see Kyungsoo smiling at him, his hand covering Jongin's before lacing his fingers with them. No words were exchanged, even as Kyungsoo tugged him to stand up from the bench, even as Kyungsoo's face turned different shades of red when he faced Jongin, or even when Kyungsoo tiptoed to meet Jongin's lips in a soft kiss.

"Thank you."

Kyungsoo's breath against his lips was enough to make Jongin's body go into something akin to spasm and his forehead to involuntarily bump against Kyungsoo's. His face contorted into different emotions before settling for panic.

"I-I'm sorry. Are you hurt. Oh God, I didn't meant it. I just- You were so near and I-"

Kyungsoo burst out laughing, a hand on his forehead and the other still holding Jongin's hand. He stood there gaping as the shorter's laughter died down into soft sniffling before his body slouched into a relax position, which only lasted for a few seconds before he tensed up again as Kyungsoo's breath ghosted his cheeks.

"You're perfect, Kim Jongin."

And for the second time that night, Jongin's body went into overdrive, sending them toppling onto the nearest fountain and getting horribly wet, Kyungsoo laughing manically and Jongin blinking furiously before joining him