Protecting Me....To a Certain Extent

Tales of the Red Lion

I stared at them in shock. The words bubbled up out of my mouth before I even considered the offer.

"No."

They looked taken aback. "What?"

"No." I rolled my eyes at them. "Didn't you just hear a word I said? I told you. I'm done with fighting. I'm sick of that life, and I want no part in it anymore. Sorry, but find someone else."

Junhyung looked outraged. "But.........but...........but you are one of the best female fighters in all of South Korea! You're a living legend!"

"Well, this legend is dead...........for good!" I snapped, my temper bubbling up again. "I'm not joining your group, get it through your thick skulls! I HATE gangsters!"

My last words echoed in the ringing silence that came after it.

"You say you're not a street fighter anymore." Doojoon said quietly. "You say you hate gangsters. You say you want to be normal. It's impossible."

"What do you mean it's.........." I started to say angrily.

"If you wanted to have a normal life, then you should never have started fighting in the first place!" Doojoon burst out loudly.

I fell silent, shocked.

"You need to reap what you sow. If word goes out that the Red Lion has appeared, we won't be the only ones trying to sign you up, you get that? All you're doing is hiding and running away! You're acting like a coward!"

I stared at him, speechless. I was amazed at his perceptiveness. I never thought a gangster of all people could observe so much in such a short while.

"You'll see us tomorrow." Doojoon said, turning around. "Come on, guys. Let's go."

They slowly slipped back into shadows, and disappeared as quickly as they had come, leaving me standing there alone.

What was I going to do now?

*******************************************************************************************************

I woke up to see Baejun snooping around in my room again. "GOD DAMMIT, BAEJUN!!! GET OUT!!!!!" I yelled, throwing my pillow with lightning accuracy at his head. He burst into tears and ran out, screaming for umma.

"Ummmaaaa!!! Ringo-noona hit me!"

"Oh, did she now?" Umma's voice came out cheerfully. "Well, that's a shame. Do you want pancakes, Baejun?"

Rolling my eyes, I jumped out of bed and pulled on my uniform. I glanced at my red lion's mane hair and attempted to make it neat. Shrugging, I grabbed my backpack and went downstairs to make my lunch.

"Do you and your friends want pancakes too, Ringo?" Umma called.

"Yeah, sure." I said. Wait...................friends?

I walked down the last few steps and screamed.

Beast was sitting clustered around the kitchen table, looking lean and handsome as they chatted easily with umma and appa. Even Baejun was frolicking around them and laughing as Doojoon made to run after him.

"WHAT THE #%*@ ARE YOU GUYS DOING HERE??!!!!!" I yelled in panic. "Umma, get away from them! They're-------"

"Your friends, I know." Umma said, smiling good-naturedly. "They came here and said they wanted to walk to school together with you. I didn't know you made friends already, they're such sweethearts! And they're cute, too!"

"Oh, please, Mrs. Saja, you're embarassing us." Kikwang pretended to blush.

"I hope you're taking good care of my daugher at school." Appa said sternly, but smiling good-humouredly.

"Of course, Mr. Saja!" Yoseob piped up, grinning broadly. "In fact, we plan on taking extra-extra-extra-good care of your daughter from this day forward." Beast leered at me evilly. "In fact, I doubt we'll leave her alone."

I shivered and groaned, then turned to the counter to find my lunch already made.

"Your friends decided to make you your lunch, dear." Umma said, beaming so fondly at Beast it was like they were her own children. "Aren't they sweet?"

"Yeah, sweet." I muttered, shoving the lunch into my backpack. "Can I go to school early, umma? I don't need breakfast."

"But you must eat breakfast!" Umma gasped. "You can't concentrate on your schoolwork that way! And you simply MUST wait for your darling friends!"

Scowling, I plopped down in my kitchen chair. Appa brought out several more folding chairs from the storage closet so Beast could sit as well. "Breakfast time!" He said heartily.

It was extremely hard to eat breakfast. Not because umma's cooking wasn't delicious, it was. When she makes pancakes, she does the thing good, with raspberries and blueberries and bananas and maple syrup. The whole nine yards.

For one thing, I was confused and suspicious as to why Beast showed up at my doorway so early in the morning. How did they even know where I live anyhow?

For another, Junhyung and Hyunseung sat on either side of me, and the table was packed. So whenever they moved, their elbow or knee would hit me, and a jolt of electricity would run up my spine. I'm not used to being this close to a guy besides when I crack their skulls.

Before I could escape, umma made me wait for Beast until they were finished eating. She wished me a good day, something I responded to with an "I bet".

I stomped down the street, Beast accompanying me languidly.

"Your umma is an excellent cook!" Dongwoon grinned. "I think I'm going to invite myself to dinner next time!"

I spun around to face them. "You guys are stalking me now, too?" I demanded. "Get lost! If this has something to do with recruiting me for your gang..........."

"It has EVERYTHING to do with it." Kikwang said seriously.

"Before you swear at us and scream at us, listen to our reasons." Hyunseung interrupted before I opened my mouth. "It's not just to try and convince you to join us. It's because we need to keep an eye on you. If your secret identity was discovered by others and other gangs get wind of it, they'll come flocking here by the dozens to snag you. And trust me, they won't be as nice as us. They wouldn't think twice about resorting to blackmail or threats. Even bodily force would do."

"And yes, we were stalking you." Yoseob said. "But for a good reason. Knowing where you live is good. That way, we can keep an eye on your family, too. You do realize they'll be in danger as well if you're discovered, right?"

I gasped. My family? My annoying little brother and my loving, erratic, hairbrained parents? In danger?

"Then that means.........." I whispered, struggling to understand. "You're doing all this................to protect me? And my family?"

"Of course." They said in unison.

I felt a strange feeling-----as though inside of me, a door was slowly opening. "But..........why would you........do that?" I blushed.

"Isn't it obvious?" Junhyung grinned. "Cuz we gotta take care of our new gang member!"

The door slammed shut. "So this is still about me joining your gang?"

"This is what it's ALL about."

"YOU GUYS ARE SO FRICKING RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!!!!" I yelled furiously, stomping away.

"Wait, where are you going?" Kikwang called out. "What happened to that touching moment we just had together??!!!"

" YOU!!!!!!!"

"Hey, ladies shouldn't swear." Dongwoon said seriously.

"I'M SERIOUS, I'VE HAD ENOUGH!!!!!!! GET LOST!!!!!!!"

They just laughed and chased me down the street.

Maybe that door will open again someday. Maybe.