The Aftermath

Tales of the Red Lion

I gritted my teeth and ignored the fierce pain, struggling to my feet and limping my way towards the VIP room, using the walls as support.

SHINee and Beast were still fighting. Beast were strong, as usual, but SHINee began to slowly gain advantage over them, due to the fact that they were cold and merciless and weren't afraid of actually KILLING someone. As they moved faster and got stronger, attempting to attack all the fatal points, Beast slowly began to fall back.

I needed to help them. But I could barely hold myself up. And Baejun, in all honesty, was my top priority right now.

Dongwoon turned his head and saw me. Go, he mouthed, before turning back to attack again.

I was torn. I needed to see if Baejun was okay. But I also couldn't just leave Beast when they were about to lose. What could I do? Every second I wasted was a choice between winning or losing, life or death.

Fortunately for me, I didn't have to hesitate for long.

"GET 'EM, GUYS!!!"

SHINee paused and stared in shock at the smoking ruins of the wall. More figures were emerging from the smoke.

My eyes widened, and Beast gasped. "DBSK? What are you doing here?" Doojoon exclaimed.

"When we heard our adorable little cheesecake friend was in trouble, we came here to help," Jaejoong smirked. "Looks like we arrived just in time, too."

"SHINee, we've been dreaming of this day for a very long time," Yunho added, pointing at the gangsters. "It's about time you filthy underground sewer rats got what you deserved for all the you've pulled under our feet."

Key scowled. "So, the Upper and Middle Kings think they can take us on? Even if it's eleven-on-five, you'll still get killed. Don't forget who brought the weapons here." Onew held up the baseball bat, and Minho flipped out his switchblade. It was starting to get serious.

"Don't think you'll be alone on that one!" Another new voice shouted. L. Joe appeared, looking beat-up and bloodied but moving with energy and fury, quickly followed by the rest of Teen Top.

"YOU guys?" Taemin snorted. "I thought we were finished with you."

"You made a very big mistake of being hated by three of the four Kings of Seoul," CAP growled, cracking his knuckles. "Even if we constantly fight with each other, we will band together to take you down." He turned to Beast. "How about it? Put our old flames aside, just this once?"

"Yeah, us too," Junsu piped up. "We've never gotten along, but this is a special occassion."

Kikwang looked at the others, then grinned. "I'll admit we need some help, yeah."

"Don't take too long," Jonghyun snarled, as he went right back into the fray. DBSK and Teen Top rushed over to help.

SHINee were monsters. I had a feeling they were holding back on both me and Beast. They were still proving to be formidable opponents despite the overwhelming odds of seventeen-on-five, most likely because they had weapons such as knives and baseball bats and brass knuckles, and that kept any of them from getting too close. Also, Teen Top was still shaky from their last attack.

They were giving me all the answers I need. I rushed to the door as fast as I could and threw it open.

"Baejun?" I called out shakily. "Baejun!"

The room was dark, and as I d around the walls for a light switch, I heard a voice whisper, "Noona?"

"Baejun! Oh, god! Where are you?" I finally found the switch and turned it on. Light flooded the room, and I saw a figure lying on the ground, tied up.

I ran towards him, forgetting my pain. I knelt beside my baby brother and untied him with shaking, weak fingers. "Baejun, it's gonna be okay. We're gonna kill those guys. Umma and appa are alright. We'll be okay, don't worry."

"Noona, you said you weren't doing anything dangerous...." Baejun said as he sat up, rubbing the angry red welts all over his tiny little wrists. He was bruised, scared, and weak, and there was one hell of a vicious black eye on his face.

I gathered him into a tight hug. "I know, Baejun. I lied. I'm sorry, I'm so so sorry. I didn't want anyone to worry, but in the end I just made things worse. I'm so sorry, Baejun."

"They destroyed my room," Baejun said with a small sob. "They came in and, and broke all my video games. And they killed Leone!" He started to cry.

I his hair and rocked him gently. "It's going to be okay, Baejun. I'm so sorry about Leone, Baejun. I knew how much you loved him."

"And -- and they hurt umma and appa -- and they hurt you, noona --" he gulped and sobbed. "Just like Jiyeon dongsaeng!"

I felt a huge wave of guilt and rage well inside of me when he mentioned my dead baby sister. "Well, they're not going to hurt anyone again, Baejun. Beast, Teen Top, and DBSK are out there, and they're going to beat SHINee's guts out. So don't you worry. Everything will be alright, I promise."

"I t-trust you, noona," he said, wiping away his tears. "The gangster hyungs will be alright, right? They're strong, right?"

"They're very strong. And once this is all over, your Beast hyungs and your noona will take you to Lotte World, okay?"

He gave me a small smile. "Okay!"

I took his hand and led him back out. I had to get him safely outside, then do all I can to help the others beat SHINee.

I stared at the scene in front of me. Beast, Teen Top, and DBSK may have hated each other for years, but they sure knew how to work together in tough times. Taemin, Key, and Onew were all knocked out cold on the ground.

I could see some of Teen Top had succumbed to their wounds and had sunk to the floor, two DBSK members were sporting some really heavy injuries, and it looked like Yoseob could barely see from the amount of blood gushing from his forehead, but the others looked ready to beat down Jonghyun and Minho.

Jonghyun turned to Minho and nodded. Minho sighed, looking irritated and in pain. "I really didn't want to do this, but I suppose in the situation we're in right now......"

"It doesn't matter, Minho," Jonghyun growled, reaching for something in his pocket. "We've gone to jail before. We'll just serve our time and get back out. Even better -- we can kill all the witnesses, so no one knows what happened in here."

Dongwoon narrowed his eyes. "What are you ers planning to --"

Suddenly, something black and shiny was whipped out of Jonghyun's pocket and pointe directly at me. I froze, my eyes wide with shock and fear.

A gun.

Jonghyun was pointing a gun at me.

"We're going to get rid of the nusiance who started all of this," he snarled, a venemous gleam in his eyes.

"Baejun, get behind me!" I placed myself in front of Baejun.

"Don't you DARE!!" Hyunseung snarled. I've never seen him look so angry before. His eyes flashed and his fists trembled.

"You're bluffing," L. Joe scoffed, but there was genuine fear in his eyes.

"Wanna bet?" Jonghyun smirked, placing his finger against the trigger. "Let's see if the infamous Red Lion's blood is as red as her hair, huh?"

"Don't!" Doojoon shouted, his eyes flickering back and forth between the gun and me.

"Looks like the situation has been reversed," Minho said, starting to laugh. "Look at you all -- you're too afraid to even move a finger! All for this little fire-haired girl, huh?"

"Don't you dare pull that trigger, you evil bastard," Jaejoong said through gritted teeth.

"If you hurt Ringo in any way, I will ing kill you," Junhyung said, his voice shaking with anger. "WE will kill you."

"You don't hurt our friends, period," Niel added, looking menacing.

I couldn't help but feel my heart soar, despite the situation I was in. I had friends -- gangster friends, for sure -- who actually cared about me. All this time, I thought they were just jerks who wanted to ruin my life. But in the end......they were my friends. All of them.

"Sorry, lady and gentlemen, but it's too late now," Minho said with a smirk. "The Red Lion can't live if she's not working for us. No matter what happens, dead or alive, I guarantee that the redhead isn't leaving this place. And none of you will too."

I stared at the gun, doing quick calculations in my head. Jonghyun wasn't that far away from me. What were the chances that I could rush forward and grab the gun before he could shoot?

I had no idea. I always at math.

My eyes flickered to Hyunseung, who appeared to be doing the same calculations as me. He gave me the barest hint of a nod, and slowly made his way forwards to Jonghyun.

Jonghyun immediately whirled the gun around to face Hyunseung. "What are you doing?"

"Hey, hey, hey, just calm down," Hyunseung said, holding up his hands. "What say we talk about this, alright?"

Minho glared at the boy and moved to stand beside Jonghyun, holding out his knife as an extra precaution. "What talk, head?"

"Well, think about it. Do you really want to face prison for killing somebody?"

"We've gone to jail before, it's not all that," Jonghyun scoffed.

As they focused their attention wholly on Hyunseung, I was slowly making my way towards them. One step, two steps.....pause. Three steps......

"And besides, there's too many of us. There's no telling you can kill us all before we can escape. Do you even have enough bullets in there?" Hyunseung kept talking. If he was nervous that a gun and a switchblade was directed at him, he didn't show it.

"Shut up," Jonghyun hissed dangerously. "All that matters is that the Red Lion doesn't fall into another gang's hands. If she does, that'll be the end of us!"

"And you really think Ringo is going to go with you -ing, sadistic, twisted-minded losers, do you?" Hyunseung said calmly.

"WHY YOU ING LITTLE --" Jonghyun pointed the gun right against his head.

Baejun gave a loud squeak in fright.

Jonghyun whipped around.

With a loud battle cry, I grabbed the pistol and jerked it upwards, out of harm's way. At the same time, I kicked Jonghyun in the stomach.

"C'MON!!!" Doojoon yelled. The battle immediately recommenced.

The rest of Teen Top and DBSK were against Minho, who grabbed another switchblade that was lying beside Key and kept them from getting too close to him. Meanwhile, Beast and I were struggling against Jonghyun.

I grabbed his wrist and attempted to loosen his grip on the gun, but he shoved me away and held tight. Beast tried to pin him down, but he wriggled out of their grasps. It was a fierce and deadly battle, but one that I found very personal. That head pointed a gun at both me and my boyfriend!

I pressed my foot against his wrist and began to pry his fingers off of the gun one by one. He managed to strike me and push me away again.

"BAEJUN! GET OUT OF HERE!!!" I yelled. Baejun was frozen to the spot, trembling.

"Noona....." He started to say shakily.

"BAEJUN!!! TRUST ME!!! LEAVE!!! JUST GET OUTSIDE AND STAY THERE UNTIL THIS IS OVER!!!" I screamed at him. "GO!!!"

He trembled, still unable to move. Finally, he began to take a few shaking steps, before turning around and running to the exit.

I heard a yell of triumph, and realized that Teen Top and DBSK had just managed to beat Minho.

But thanks to that moment of distraction, it was all Jonghyun needed to shove everyone off of him and push himself to his feet.

"You think you've won?" He snarled, his eyes glittering wickedly at me, a crazy little smile on his face. "Think again, fire-hair."

"Why, you --" Hyunseung jumped up to knock him down, but not before Jonghyun raised the pistol again.

But not at me. At the running little figure of my little brother.

"NO!!!" I screamed, but it was too late. A gunshot echoed through the room just as Hyunseung had collided his fist against Jonghyun's head. Jonghyun crumpled to the ground, at the same time as the tiny little boy halfway across the room.

"BAEJUN!!!" I screamed, dashing towards him, quickly followed by the rest of the gangsters. "BAEJUN!!!"

I knelt to his side and gasped, tears filling up my eyes. There was a dark, blood-red stain on the back of his shirt, and it was getting bigger and bigger.

"S-someone, call a doctor! An ambulance! Please!" I gasped. Ricky, Changjo, Yoochun, and Junsu all whipped out their cell phones.

I turned Baejun over. His face was pale white, and he was breathing heavily.

"No, no, no! Baejun, oh god, no please.....Baejun, no....." I sobbed and his perfect little face. "No, Baejun, come on, don't do this, no......"

"Come on, kid," Doojoon muttered, his face tightened with grief as he knelt beside the boy. "Don't do this to us."

DBSK and Teen Top backed away slightly, to give us room. They were all quiet and solemn, besides the four boys who were all calling ambulances as quick as they could.

Beast crowded around Baejun, some standing, some kneeling, all of them somber.

"B-Baejun, come on....." I sobbed, my breathing coming out in quick little gulps. "Think of umma and a-appa, they already lost one child....come on, I'll buy you new COD games, I'll get you more lion toys....come on, Baejun, didn't you want to go to Lotte World? You wanted to go to Lotte World right?"

"Ringo....." Hyunseung said quietly, placing a hand on my shoulder. I shook my head and clutched Baejun tighter to me. "No! He'll pull through! He will!"

"Ringo......the wound was too fatal, especially for a small boy," Kikwang whispered.

"He's not going to make it, Ringo-ah," Yoseob mumbled sadly.

"He will! He'll make it!" I said desperately. "Baejun, open your eyes! Come on! Talk to me! Please!"

But I knew he wasn't going to survive. I wasn't an idiot. I could feel the life slipping away from me with every second as his breathing grew slower and slower. 

To my shock, Baejun's eyes slowly opened and flickered towards me. A ghost of a smile appeared on his face.

"N-noona....." He whispered. "I....just had.....the nicest dream....."

"W-what was it, Baejun?" I whispered.

Staring right at me, he mumbled out softly, "We......moved to a new place......in Seoul......and we met.....so many people.....and noona.....made so many friends......and those hyungs.....they were really nice. They.....they promised......to take me to......Lotte World....."

He looked up at me, and even though a trickle of blood was leaking from the corner of his mouth, he still managed to give me the sweetest smile ever. "Noona.......we're.....going to.....Lotte World.......right? That dream............was so nice........I really.......liked those hyungs.......because they made........noona.......happy......"

His eyes started to close, although it seemed like he was fighting to keep them open. "I......liked that dream........"

I kissed his cheek and smiled at him, even though tears were streaming down my cheeks. "Close your eyes, Baejun. Maybe you'll dream about it again."

He gave me one last smile, before closing his eyes.

And he never opened them again.