Help Requested, Help Gained

Tales of the Red Lion

I couldn't stop thinking about that Taemin guy. Was he a gangster? Did he recognize me or something? Which gang did he belong to?

I slowly walked home, just in time for dinner. Everyone was already seated at the table and eating. See how weird my parents are? They don't even care if their daughter is home for dinner on time. I remember asking my mom about it once when I was in junior high and in prime gangster mode.

"Don't parents usually want their daughter's home before five?"

Mom, who was folding laundry, just smiled and said, "You're big enough to do what you want. If you did something wrong, you'll learn from your mistakes over time. Besides, you can always just reheat the food when you get back, you know I always make lots of leftovers."

I don't know if I should be happy having parents like these or sad.

Baejun jumped around in his seat. "Noona, you're finally home!" He yelped. "Can we play COD after dinner? Please please please?"

I forced a smile onto my face. "Sorry, Baejun, not today. I...er....have a lot of things on my mind. Later, okay?"

Baejun nodded, pouting sadly.

"Just in time for dinner, sweetheart," Dad said, smiling. "Sit down. Do you want kimchi soup or rice?"

"Rice, please." I sat down in my usual seat and we began to eat.

"So, Ringo-ah, how's school lately?" Mom asked me, smiling her usual carefree, beautiful smile. "We haven't had any time to ask you these days."

I swallowed down my huge mouthful of rice, choked a bit, then said, "Okay."

I probably shouldn't tell her that I kept on skipping classes because of stupid Beast. She won't be happy to hear I was hanging out with gangsters again. Not when the LAST thing happened.......

I shook my head, my eyes clouding over. I took a deep breath and continued talking. "I hang out with Gaesuh, Jinae, and Heemin a lot. Unless the others drag me around."

"Oh, your boyfriends," Mom nodded wisely.

I blushed and scowled. "I told you, umma, they're not my BOYFRIENDS!!!"

"Why not choose one?" Mom suggested. "They are all such sweethearts, I wouldn't mind if you married any of them. Ooh, like that Hyunseung boy. He's so quiet and calm, a perfect contrast to your personality, dear....."

I thought my face was going to get heat or something. "Umma! SERIOUSLY!!!"

Nope. Definitely shouldn't tell her that I might actually LIKE Hyunseung or something. I think the excitement would be too much for her.

"Ew, noona has a boyfriend?" Baejun made a face.

"Baejun, don't listen to umma or appa. Your noona is single, okay? And it will stay that way for a long, long time!"

Mom and Dad just laughed at my obvious discomfort. After a while, I couldn't help but smile a little back.

***********************************************************************************************************

The next morning, I was anxious to find Beast and ask them about it. The war was still going strong, so they couldn't walk with me still.

When I finally found them, I ran up to them. "YAH!!! BEAST!!"

"Oh, Ringo-ah!" Yoseob smiled happily, although he was sporting a bruise under one eye. "What's up? You look energetic today."

"Shut up," I responded. "Listen......can you tell me more about this fourth gang? SHINee or whatever?"

Junhyung's expression darkened. "Do you want to join them?"

"What? What the hell? Where did that come from?"

"No! I won't allow it!" Kikwang shrieked, grabbing me in a vice-like hug and effectively crushing my ribcage. "I WON'T LET THOSE BASTARDS TAKE AWAY MY RINGO-AH!!!"

"You are only allowed to join our gang, and our gang only." Hyunseung said in a dark voice.

"DON'T LEAVE US, RINGO-AH!!!" Dongwoon yelled.

"We won't let you!" Doojoon insisted.

"NOOOOOOO!!!!! DON'T LEAVE ME, RINGO-AH!!!! I'M BEGGING YOU!!!" Yoseob screamed. "PLEASE DON'T LEAVE ME!!!! WE CAN WORK THIS OUT, I KNOW IT!!!! JUST GIVE ME ANOTHER CHANCE!!!"

I was starting to get some pretty strange glances/glares my way from students, and I couldn't break from Kikwang's hug (I was too embarrassed. Dammit, why is something so lame my weakness?), so I quickly hissed, "I'm NOT joining their gang, alright? Kikwang, get OFF!!!"

Kikwang let go of me, but everyone was still wailing like babies, especially Yoseob, who was making such a big deal out of it it was attracting a small crowd.

"GIVE ME ANOTHER CHANCE, RINGO-AH!!!"

"STOP MAKING IT SOUND LIKE I'M BREAKING UP WITH YOU OR SOMETHING!!!"

"YOU ARE!!! YOU'RE BREAKING UP WITH ME!!!! AFTER ALL THIS TIME WE'VE BEEN THROUGH TOGETHER? HOW? HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO ME? WHYYYYYYYYYYYY~~~~!!!!"

I turned desperately to Hyunseung, the only calm/normal/sane one. "Hyunseung, please do something!"

Hyunseung seemed to be enjoying the show. He shook his head, smiling slightly.

"AAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!" I shouted angrily, stomping away. The idiots were too busy being dramatic too notice.

They obviously were NOT gonna be any help at all.

I looked around, trying to think of someone -- anyone -- or even anything, that could help me. I could have asked Hyunseung, since he was calm/normal/sane, but I didn't want to start blushing in front of him.

Who else could I ask? DBSK?

No.....Beast still hasn't forgiven them for that cheesecake incident. Teen Top is out of the question either, since I am still pissed off at L. Joe.

Who else can I talk to?

In my thoughts, I didn't notice someone walking down the hall until I bumped into them.

"Owch! Sorry --"

"Watch it, will you?"

I looked up into the sniffy, pretty face of Im Raehi.

She held her head up and primly walked away. I snorted and continued walking.

Then I stopped.

I suddenly ran back to her and tapped her on the shoulder.

"What do you want now?" She snapped huffily.

I took a deep breath and screwed up my face into a grimace. This was going to be tough. I have to in all my pride......and I knew she wouldn't just agree so easily. I'd have to tell her everything. Including what I used to be. And what might happen.

"Im Raehi........I need your help."

***********************************************************************************************************************

"Excuse me?" Raehi snapped. "Why should I help you?"

"It's important, Im Raehi. It......it will probably affect Beast, too. I'll explain everything, so.......please.....at least listen to me."

It was probably either the urgency in my voice or the 'please' that got her serious.

"Alright. Come to my office. This better be worth my time, Saja Ringo."

I followed her into the office, where several of her cohorts, the leaders of the divisions or -- I forgot all their names -- were sitting.

"Everyone out," she announced. "I have something private to discuss with Saja Ringo."

They all glared at me and stalked out of the room. Raehi locked the door behind them. "If what you want to say is so important, we wouldn't want anyone to walk in, won't we?"

She sat in her usual office desk thingie, and I collapsed onto the nice leather couch. "Okay, so um....." I paused, feeling awkward.

"Hurry up," she snapped.

"Excuse me!" I retorted back. "This is the first time I've ever told anyone by choice, it's hard for me to find the words to explain!"

"You're not.......coming out of the closet, are you?" Raehi's eye twitched.

"NO!!!! JESUS CHRIST....." I took a deep breath and said, "Okay, well.......the reason Beast hangs out with me all the time.....is because......I used to..........." My last words came out in a rush. "Iusedtobeagangster."

"Wait.......what?"

"I. Used. To. Be................a g-gangster."

To be honest, it was kind of funny watching the look of shock and horror cross Raehi's face. Her entire pretty complexion paled, and her eyes widened to its maximum range.

Then she slowly got her breath back.

"Is this.......true?"

"Y-yeah." I stared at my hands. "I....I.....I used to be known as the Red Lion. I was an infamous street fighter back in Pusan, where I came from. Then I decided to quit when I moved here, but Beast found out so they wanted me in their gang, and well........you know......" I was starting to babble now. I was so nervous she would kick me out right here, or blackmail me. Or even tell the whole school.

Surprisingly enough, Raehi looked shocked but not angry or malicious. "I guess that makes sense.......I've heard of that name before, and it makes sense why Beast wants to hang out with you now......that also explains the other gangs' interests in you."

I nodded. "So, uh, well.......do you know.....about the fourth king?"

"Of course, who do you think I am?" Raehi sniffed.

"Right......I'm nervous. I think I met one of the members the other day. I think he knows who I am. I....." I clenched my hands into fists. "I need your help. You know everything about gangs, you can tell me what I need to know. I have to protect them."

I swallowed, my voice smaller. "I have to protect Beast."

Raehi was silent. She swiveled around in her chair to stare out the window. For a long time, she didn't speak. Finally, she said, "Okay."

"Huh?"

"Fine. Whatever. I'll help you out." She turned back around and jabbed a finger at me. "But this is only for my love for Beast oppas, okay?" She sighed heavily. "And I won't tell anyone about your.....secret, or whatever. That's only been you and me."

I couldn't stop the smile breaking across my face.

"Thank you! Thank you! I mean.......this means a lot to me........I know how much you hate my guts."

Raehi smirked. "I don't have a problem with your guts. It's your face that bothers me."

I snorted. So even the prim Im Raehi had a sense of humour I could appreciate.

"Alright, Saja Ringo. Where should we start?"