43

Lock

When SoRa the bed, she felt that the spot next to her was empty. Her eyes shot open, immediately sitting up right, her hands naturally reaching toward the place her boyfriend was always found. The spot was cold. Worried, she looked around and noticed the door slightly opened and a thin ray of yellow light shining in from the slim space between the door and the wall. She slid out of bed, grabbed her light cardigan and wrapped it around her as she made her way across the room to the door.

She walked into the living room, where SeungHyun was sitting on the couch, fidgeting with something in his hand. As she came closer, SeungHyun noticed her footsteps and turned, stopping his fingers. He knew exactly when she sat down next to him and how close she sat from him. He smiled.

"Can't sleep?" SoRa asked, her eyes on the object in SeungHyun's hands. "That's your camera," she said. SeungHyun nodded happily.

"I was looking over the pictures we took before," he told her, although she could not hear. She smiled, although he could not see her reaction. But she knew he saw her reaction in his mind and he knew she understood his thought process. Not a single word was needed between the two to get their minds through. Though SoRa had learned braille and SeungHyun sign language, those were only used when something new or inordinate happened in the house. 

It was not easy, of course, to master the unspoken and unheard languages. They learned together for they judged it would be best for both parties to know the same vocabulary. So they began, with much difficulty. For sign language, they would watch instructional videos, SeungHyun following the movements he has heard, then SoRa would precisely fix his awkward gestures until it matched what she had observed. As for braille, they would listen to audio recordings as they followed the patterned dots emerging from practice books, SeungHyun absorbing the stories, then retelling them to SoRa by writing on pieces of paper. JiYong had once suggested them to stick to hearing aids, but the couple refused. For a pair of adults with no employment, there was no better way of spending their lengthy hours of a day. JiYong said no more and even participated in their little classes, more often than not acting as the mediator. 

But even with the endless hours of self learning and teaching, all seemed useless, powerless rather, when they sat together, alone, communicating. There was no way SoRa hears what SeungHyun said, and there was no way SeungHyun sees SoRa's reactions. Yet their conversations continued. Sometimes silence was the best medium, a clear infinite path for all thoughts. 

"Your camera isn't even on," SoRa told him, chuckling softly. SeungHyun chuckled as he nodded. 

"I have magical powers to see pictures without turning the camera on, didn't you know?" SeungHyun joked, opening both hands as if to show her something. SoRa laughed more, catching that he must have made a joke. Seeing that, SeungHyun laughed too.

After a few minutes of silence, SeungHyun placed the camera on the coffee table, then leaned back against the back of the couch. He opened his eyes, finding not the white ceiling but blackness, and stared at the ceiling. SoRa followed suit, resting her head on the edge of the couch. The soft wind outside slightly swayed the green leaves on trees, its faint sound only noticed by SeungHyun.

"Maybe our losses of senses were for the better," SeungHyun quietly said to no one in particular. 

He turned to the side, in the direction of his girlfriend, who's eyes were glued to the ceiling, seemingly in a deep thought. He imagined her childlike face, tracing in his mind the petite cute features of her face and remembering the warm smile that always washed away his troubles. He reached his hand toward her face and his fingers successfully reached her soft cheek. She now turned in his direction as well, both facing each other. He felt her muscles form a smile. He smiled.

"SoRa," he called. She nodded. "SoRa," he called again. This time, she overlapped his hand with hers, her cheek growing warm. "What do you want to do when we go to the beach?" he asked slowly so she could read his lips.

"Hmm," she said, thinking. "Build a sand castle," she answered. SeungHyun laughed and asked her for something else. "Let's take pictures!" she suggested. "Let's take a lot of pictures. With everyone! It'll be the first group picture!"

Taken aback, SeungHyun lost his words for a moment. Then he grinned and nodded. "Yeah. Let's take a lot of group pictures." He moved his free hand toward her head and caressed her smooth hair. "We'll build sand castles and take pictures of them, then we'll take group pictures." 

"I want to do BBQ for dinner!" SoRa suggested cheerfully. SeungHyun chuckled. "We should take pictures of that too... And oh! You're going to eat onions, oppa. We'll make sure to take a picture of you eating your least favorite onions! For JiYong, we'll feed him mushrooms. YoungBae, we need to make him attend the meat since he's really really good at cooking. Oh! We need to scare DaeSung with ghost stories. And for SeungHyun..."

"Hold on, hold on," SeungHyun chuckled, covering with his hand. "One at a time, Miss I-want-to-do-everything." SoRa chuckled too, her cheeks reddening in embarrassment. He could not help but to laugh along. 

"It's going to be so fun!" SoRa exclaimed once SeungHyun released his hand form . He nodded.

The room fell silent, as the two people rested on their side, face to face, though one could not see the other. SeungHyun closed his eyes and put his mind to rest while SoRa watched her handsome boyfriend finally find a peace of mind after yet another long day. She reached her free hand toward his soft hair, and gently his hair as if putting a child to sleep. Their hands were still held, under her cheek, warmed by her embarrassed flushes and their excitement for the future plans. SeungHyun soon fell asleep, his steady rise and fall of his chest steadying SoRa's breathing as well. She brought her knees up in front of her chest, curling up in a ball next to SeungHyun, her mind finding its peace alike. 

 



Hey~

I am so sorry for not updating for a month.... I am trying my best to update more often, and I promise, I will update more often in the future.
Again, I am very very very thankful to everyone for always being patient and supportive. You guys are amazing ///>__//
It's getting quite cold (in the northern hemisphere of the planet, that is) so please remember to dress warm and be careful not to catch a cold!

Please feel free to leave a comment, and I will reply~^^