2

Lock

No one talked in the car. The atmosphere was not awkward, but rather tense. SoRa played with her fingers on the passenger's seat, looking out the window. SeungHyun looked straight ahead on the road, glancing over at SoRa once in a while.

"...So," SeungHyun broke the silence. SoRa didn't respond. "So," SeungHyun repeated, a little louder this time so that she could hear. SoRa finally turned her head to face him. "What really happened?" he asked.

SoRa looked down at her hands. Her lips were zipped close in a straight line. "SoRa," SeungHyun called. Her ears twitched, but she didn't say anything.

SeungHyun let out a sigh. "SoRa, I at least need to know what's going on," he insisted. "If you don't tell me, I have to go figure it out myself." SoRa stopped her fingers.

"It's just as I told you..." she said quietly.

"I'm not buying that," SeungHyun immediately denied. Not getting any responses from her, he sighed again. "Are you telling me to believe that you just happened to be in the library, with a cup of water, which is not allowed, accidentally tripped over, causing the books to fall, and your hearing aids accidentally broke from being soaked in the water that you spilled?" SoRa bit her lips. She knew SeungHyun wouldn't believe the story like the professor did. He knew her too well.

"SoRa," he called softly, but loud enough for her to hear. "I don't want to you to keep getting hurt like this. I can't let that happen." SoRa nodded, feeling warm inside. "It was okay this time because nothing serious happened, but it's too late when something does happen. So please tell me next time, 'kay?"

SoRa was at the edge of tears. "Thank... you," she said, which brought a relieving smile onto SeungHyun's face. She couldn't possibly thank him enough for all his care and love for her. He knew exactly when she needed him, and he knew exactly what to say. She thought he had some kind of special powers like telepathy at first, but he had laughed that idea off.

"We need to go get new hearing aids, huh..." SeungHyun mumbled to himself. He peeked over at SoRa, who was trying hard not to let the tears fall. He found that adorable, and he began humming happily as he switched lanes to go to the hospital for new hearing aids.

 

"Call me when you're done, OK?" SeungHyun said, opening the passenger's door for SoRa to exit. She stepped out as she nodded happily. SeungHyun chuckled. "Say hi to YoungBae sshi for me," he muttered, messing up her hair.

"I will!" SoRa replied, and turned around to go. "Get back to work quickly, oppa. DaeSung must be really busy by himself!" she told him. She waved goodbye, and SeungHyun waved back.

As he watched her disappear into the tall office building, he sighed. He sometimes wondered how she managed to stay positive all the time. It was relieving to see her smile and laugh as if nothing is wrong, but it was worrisome at times like this, when everything wasn't alright.

He was lost in thought, until he finally took note of the time and rushed back into the car.

"Dae is going to yell at me for this..." he told himself as he started the car.

 

SoRa made her way into the building, bowing to the staffs and the employees, and opened the door which read, "STAFF ONLY." The room was wide, with a couch and a coffee table in the center. Lockers were lined up against three walls and there was a tall mirror next to the door. A short man, around her age was straightening his uniform in front of the mirror when SoRa entered. He looked up from the mirror and smiled.

"SoRa! You're early today," he greeted, walking up to her. There was not much of a height difference, only about a centimeter or so between the two of them. He reached his arm out to SoRa's head. "Anything wrong?" he asked as he fixed her hair.

"Kind of... I had a little trouble at school," SoRa answered, sticking her tongue out playfully. He laughed.

"Let me guess, SeungHyun sshi had to pick you up?" he suggested. SoRa nodded shyly, making him laugh more.

As he laughed, SoRa made her way to her locker, and began transferring her belongings into the narrow locker. "SeungHyun oppa said hi," she spoke happily as she took an apron and a pair of shoes out of the locker. "And I told him he should go back to his work before DaeSung gets too angry." The two of them laughed. SoRa changed her shoes, and closed the locker door.

"SeungHyun sshi is a really busy person, huh," he joked, lightly pushing SoRa's forehead with his finger. She nodded, and he chuckled. "Well, I better get going before I get yelled at," he said. SoRa chuckled.

"Fighting, YoungBae!!" she cheered, showing him a "FIGHTING" pose. He returned the sign with a big smile before closing the door behind him. SoRa tied the strings of the apron behind her back, grabbed the ring of keys, and headed out the room soon after.

She walked over to another door which read "STAFF ONLY," and searched through the millions of keys on the ring. She opened the door after finally finding the right key. It didn't take time for her to spot what she needed. She smoothly pulled out the cart and closed the door shut, making sure to lock it.

SoRa pushed the cart along the hallways, earning many judging looks. She ignored them and kept a bright smile on. It had become her habit to ignore other people's glares and whispers, even at work. She knew having a part time as a janitor was not an usual thing. But what could she do? There were no other jobs available for a person with an "unfavorable disability."

Every place she had applied had turned her down for that one reason. So the one job she got, a janitor at the IWL office building, was very precious to her, and she was determined to give it her all. Even if people judged her for it.

She expected everyone to be cold to her, so she was really shocked, yet very thankful when YoungBae stepped up for her on the first day of work.

The lawyers in the building had scolded her for having a tiny ball of dust in the corner of a window sill, and they had blamed her disability for not being able to capture a detail a "normal" person could. Right then, YoungBae stepped in front of SoRa, and told the lawyers that there was a trouble in their office. They left in a hurry, and YoungBae turned to her. "Everyone makes mistakes, right?" he said with a smile.

Ever since then, the two of them grew close, due to their similar work hours. YoungBae was the same age as her which helped them understand each other even better. He never questioned SoRa about her hearing disabilities, or showed any signs of pity or disappointment. He just listened to her and interacted with her like there was nothing wrong with her. They were best friends, yet YoungBae was like an older brother to her. He looked after her all the time. When she had late hours, he stayed until SeungHyun came to pick her up. When she was scolded by the employees, he cheered her up.

SoRa reached the empty, cozy cafe in the lobby and began cleaning the floor. It was closed until an hour later, so she had plenty of time to do the cleaning.

An employee walked in, and greeted her. She was one of the nice workers who respected other's privacy, and she didn't bother SoRa like the others did.

"Thank you for your hard work, SoRa sshi," she said. SoRa shook her head sideways shyly, and she smiled warmly. "Is it fine if I turn on a song?" she asked. SoRa nodded happily.

The lady went over to the speaker behind the counter. She swiped the screen of the phone few times, then plugged it to the main speaker.

Get yo crayon Get yo crayon

Head shoulder knees toes

Swag check Swag check

G-Dragon's "CRAYON" echoed through the quiet cafe. SoRa nodded her head to the rhythm as she continued to clean the floor.

I wonder how JiYong is doing these days.... she wondered.

 

 


Hey~~~

Sorry for the late update >__<;;;

Please feel free to leave a comment~