29

Lock

SoRa SeungHyun's hair, blankly gazing at the white wall. SeungHyun, resting his head on her lap, kept his eyes closed as if he was asleep. Silence had become the regular situation in the apartment. They each had so much to say, but did not how to say it. Afraid of unknowingly hurting the other, they became very aware of their own words to the point that it was suffocating. Still, they made attempts to begin a conversation, though they never lasted very long. This time, SoRa took the chance to communicate like the old times.

"Oppa, remember when we first moved in here?" SoRa suddenly asked. SeungHyun nodded, his eyes still closed. "JiYong was helping us move that book shelf into the bedroom, and then you accidently trapped him into the corner. And you just laughed, watching him being stuck between the wall and the shelf." SeungHyun laughed, recalling the event.

"Oh, and that time when you burned the eggs? You totally forgot about it because you were so focused on making good coffee. It smelled really bad and we had to open all our windows, oh and the neighbors thought we caused fire," SoRa told, her voice growing excited. SeungHyun nodded as he laughed.

 

SeungHyun turned his back on the pan, occupying himself with another task. He grounded the the coffee beans and scooped it into the filters on the matching mug cups. He did not notice SoRa walking into the living room, half asleep.

"Good morning... Oppa, what are you doing from such an early hour? You usually don't wake up until at least... an hour later," SoRa said as she approached the kitchen.

"Good morning, my nagging friend," SeungHyun greeted, chuckling. "I'm making breakfast for once, and that's what you say to me?" he asked teasingly. "How would you like to have a seat while I cook for you, my fair lady?"

SoRa laughed as she started toward her seat. She stopped halfway, sniffing the air. "Why does it smell like something's burning?" she asked. She turned back around and scanned the kitchen. Her eyes dilated at the frying pan. "OPPA, THE EGGS!"

"Eggs?" SeungHyun asked back. He finally realized the smell and turned around, gasping at the scene. "THE EGGS!"

"Oppa, open the windows and I'll do something about the eggs," SoRa ordered, trying not to panic. SeungHyun nodded and darted toward the windows. SoRa entered the kitchen, first turning off the gas, then removing the pan from the stove, placing it in the sink.

After about ten minutes they clamed down, exhaling deeply. Just then, there was a knock on the door, and they looked at each other in a suspicious expression; they never had a guest at such an early hour. They went to the door together, and SeungHyun asked who it was.

"It's me, Mrs. Jung from next door!" Mrs. Jung answered from the other side of the door.

When SeungHyun opened the door, she did not bother greeting and got straight to the point.

"What are you two doing from the morning?! It smells like something was over burnt! It smells worse here, huh. Did you cause fire or something?" she questioned, covering her nose with her hand as to protect her from the odor.

"We're very sorry!" SoRa and SeungHyun apologized at once, bowing. "We were making breakfast and forgot about the eggs on the pan. We got it off the stove and opened every window in the house, so the smell should go away soon," SoRa explained.

"Well then," Mrs. Jung said, crossing her arms. "Please pay more attention next time. Have a nice day." She headed back toward her room while SeungHyun and SoRa kept bowing and apologizing until she shut her door.

The couple closed their own door and headed back into their living room. They looked at each other, and then burst into laughter.

 

They continued to recall events; the time when SoRa got sick and SeungHyun had to call JiYong because he didn't know how to cook porridge, the time when SeungHyun hurt his finger while trying to fix the bedroom door lock, the time when DaeSung came over and beat SeungHyun in every video game, and the time when SoRa woke up SeungHyun because there was a cockroach in the kitchen. There were too many memories in the apartment, although they only lived there for less than 4 years.

"Oppa," SoRa called out softly. SeungHyun nodded, already acknowledging what she she was going to say. Her voice was quivering, ready to cry.

SeungHyun reached his hand upward, searching through the air, and finally finding SoRa's cheek. He held it there, comforting her.

"It's time to say goodbye to our apartment, right?" SeungHyun said, earning a nod from SoRa.

 


Hey~

I'm sure you are tired of hearing my apologies... but I can't really not apologize; I haven't updated in a month TT^TT
How is everyone doing? It's getting cold, so please be careful not to catch a cold~ Keep warm =v=

Please feel free to leave a comment, and I will reply~^^