The Act

The Way It Is
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I’m pretty sure I look like I haven’t slept in weeks, and I feel like I haven’t slept in weeks. I can’t tell you how tired I am, and how disgruntled I was to wake up at 6 AM, only 30 minutes after I had finally gotten any rest. The reason for my unrest being none other than the ever so charismatic Oh Sehun. Now, I know the first thought that pops up into the average mind when they hear that someone couldn’t sleep because they were thinking of someone else is in fact something along the lines of them being enamored. I would take public humiliation before that thought would harvest itself in me. I kept thinking about how often I would have to associate myself with Sehun from now on, and that was cringe worthy and stupid enough to keep me thinking about how much I would hate this arrangement, and how long I would have to keep it up. I would gladly deal with something so trivial on my own, but it’s the fact that people would point, and whisper, and pry into my life that pissed me off. I’m not exactly the best at laying low, but I’ve never had people actually watch me and take that much interest in me; the rumors surrounding me didn’t call for much prying, but hearsay more than anything. After that little display yesterday, I knew undoubtedly that maybe not all eyes, but a lot of eyes would be on us. And the fact that “us” became a part of my vocabulary made me want to gag. 

I yawned as I trudged down the stairs, my steps felt heavy, and I was considering making up an excuse to stay home. Mom wasn’t home this morning, after all, and all I was left with was Jihoon, who would let me get away with anything in hopes that I would approve of him. But of course, I had made an agreement with Oh, and I couldn’t leave the kid hanging. 

Jihoon was sitting patiently at our table, drinking green juice and reading the newspaper, as he presumably waited for me to finish up so I could be taken to my damnation. 

“You really are old, who reads print anymore?” I greeted, pinching my nose, as his mysterious juice reeked. 

“Good morning to you too, little one.” He smiled, happily drinking the poison all in one shot. I swear part of my soul left my body at the sight. “Ready?” he looked up at me, and not a hint of disgust was seen on his face. There was plenty on mine for the two of us. 

 

As always with Jihoon, the car ride was mildly awkward. I never dwelled too much on the shallow conversations we had, and for the longest time, I didn’t want to bother making a familial connection with him. This morning, I was too focused on reading the street signs to pay attention to his attempts at conversation. 

“Jihoon, pull over here.” I signaled quickly when we got to a familiar name. 

“Oh, c’mon Eunji, I know I’m not your favorite person, but are you really embarrassed enough to have me drop you off a block away?” He said, even though his actions of pulling over didn’t match his protests. He parked the car, and Oh Sehun came into view. I leaned over Jihoon and honked, and he stood up and took his earbuds out. He dusted himself off, and hesitantly started taking a few steps towards the car. 

“Who’s that?” Jihoon questioned. Even though I was trying my best to block his view, he kept shoving me away, trying to examine Sehun. 

“No one, Hercules, now go.” I said, frustrated as he was obviously winning this battle. Sehun stood directly outside of the car, not knowing what to do. 

“So this is why you wanted to be dropped off this far, huh? Little pre-education date with your boo?” I wanted to punch the stupid smirk off of Jihoon’s face. “He your boyfriend?” 

“No.” I answered immediately. I paused before I responded again. “Yes? I don’t know. It’s a complicated, long story.” I said, finally reaching for the door. 

“Maybe you could tell me about it later.” Jihoon suggested, softly, with hope written all over his face. I knew for a long time how important Jihoon wanted to be to me, but I just didn’t want him to be a part of my life. 

“Probably not.” I sighed, exiting the vehicle. “Thanks for the ride, I guess.” 

“No problem. Have a good day at school, Ji. Should I pick you up, or are you set?” He raised his eyebrows at Sehun, who seemed to be trying to blend into his surroundings, trying his best to avoid contact with Jihoon. When he finally saw that he wasn’t sly, he sheepishly bowed, to which Jihoon waved. 

“I’ll call you if I need you.” I said before I closed the car door, and watched him drive away. 

“I didn’t know you have a brother.” Sehun finally muttered after an awkward pause that was becoming present in all of our conversations. 

“I don’t. Jihoon’s my cousin. Didn’t I tell you not to ask questions?” I shot at him, deeming it way too early to already be frustrated with him. “Let’s get this over with.” I groaned while reaching my hand out. He was hesitant in taking it, but eventually, he grabbed it. Once again, silence. I rolled my eyes and began leading him towards the swarm of students waiting for us down the block. 

 

Thank ing goodness Sehun was in a different class than me, save for the one day a week we had PE. Thank ing goodness that one day was not today. I had already damaged way too much school property with making notches on my wooden desk every time someone either asked me about Sehun, or tried to be friendly enough to pry into my private life. All the while, Bomi kept shooting me worried glances, and I’m pretty sure Namjoo was making notches of her own. Possibly of every time I looked like I was about to stab someone’s eye out.

Lunch came, and Bomi and Namjooo finally came to usher me out of the war zone. 

“You’ve been working on your breathing exercises, I see.” Namjoo smirked at me. 

“I swear to ing god, allah, vishnu, and whoever else that if you cross me right now I will make a suit out of your skin.” I muttered through clenched teeth. How long had I been trying not to break this pencil? 

“Whoa there, Mrs. Oh, don’t kill the messenger.” She mockingly raised her hands in defeat and backed up while laughing like mad. 

“C’mon, Eunji,” Bomi rubbed my arm, making me subconsciously drop my pencil, “it hasn’t been that bad. Let’s get some lunch in you and help you calm down.” 

Truth be told, it hadn’t been as bad as you would’ve imagined. I mean, the only thing I was really being hit with was genuine curiosity. But the thing was, I ing hated genuine curiosity Even if Sehun and I were in fact an actual thing, what the hell did it matter to anyone how we met or how long we had been dating, and why we had decided to keep it quiet and . I felt like a ing zoo animal and any single aspect of my fake relationship was none of anyone’s damn business. Princess Bomi had succeeded in getting me to find my zen, but it was broken when I heard an “um” from the voice I wanted least to here. My eyes shot open, and I’m pretty sure I twitched. 

“Are you not coming out for lunch,” Sehun made a pause as he looked around and examined everyone’s expressions of curiosity, before clearing his throat and saying a meek, “babe?” 

I glared at him before smiling. 

“Of course, love muffin.” I gritted my teeth and tried my best not to pull my hand away when he reached for it, and down we went, receiving the typical zo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter