The Story

The Way It Is
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"So, Eunji, why are you being so quiet today? This behavior has never really been normal coming from you." 

"It's been a long day." I said, sighing as I fiddled with my fingers and refused to look at my oh so helpful therapist. I usually told him not to talk to me on a first name basis, but I didn't feel like correcting him today. 

He was right, this behavior was in no way normal for me. I was angry, I was angry as hell, but my anger didn't really bubble to the surface like it always did. It was deeper, it was like it was stuck in my throat, and I wondered if it was even anger at all. For as long as I can remember, I had only ever been angry, or nonchalant. I didn't really remember what any other emotions felt like, because I just let anger out naturally. 

It's funny, isn't it? I'm admitting more in self revelation than I am after the efforts of the professional. 

"Eunji, I can't help you if we don't communicate."

"Then can't we just let the hour be cut short?"

"I'm afraid I have a responsibility to not let that happen."

"Is it really a responsibility? Would you uphold that if I promised to tell my mother that I visited you for the whole hour this week so you can get paid in full?" I saw him become uncomfortable with my uncovering his greed. You really couldn't trust types like good old Dr. Yang. From the very moment you stepped in his office, you could tell it was cushy as hell and kept a front of 'you matter, here's some great reading material while you sit on our fancy couch and wait', but you knew he wasn't in it for the practice when you walked in and saw the lack of awards covering his walls. That's one thing you always see in the movies, psychiatrists having diplomas and awards, works they've written and the like displayed in their office. I mean, on one hand, it was narcissistic as hell, but on the other, it was comforting to understand that your caretaker for the next hour wasn't an idiot. And he always said about not being able to understand me if we didn't communicate; wasn't that his job? To look at my mannerisms and my short responses and base his attempts at communications and conclusions on that? I knew he was scum, I knew he was interested in my money, and I tried telling my mother. She just accused me of denying help. 

"Well, Ms. Jung, I can't force you to stay." Didn't he just say that was part of his responsibility? I nodded and walked out of his office, after having spent only 20 minutes in there. 

I walked out into the city, a light breeze hitting me and making me shiver. I took out my phone from my pocket, to see how much time I should waste before heading back home, convincing my mother that I had stayed an hour, and I noticed missed calls from Bomi. I groaned and called her back, knowing that this conversation would be inevitable.

"Hello?" I said as soon as she answered, wanting to make it quick and cut the call short. 

"Where are you?" Namjoo's voice answered in place of Bomi's. 

"Why the hell do you want to know?"

"C'mon, Jung, where the are you? We're in the area of your, you know..."

"You can say 'psychiatrist' you know, it's not a curse or some ." I said, finally feeling a familiar anger take over me. It was relieving as hell, having the ability to know what was going on with my body. 

"Well, whatever, we want to treat you out to ice cream or whatever the it is your weird enjoys." I had to admit, Namjoo had some weird way of being sort of comforting. She clearly wasn't the type to treat me like a fragile flower after hearing I had to seek special help for my problems, and being treated like my normal, crass self was what I needed sometimes. 

"Why are you answering Bomi's phone?" I said, trying to rid myself of sentimental thoughts. 

"The stupid can't drive and talk at the same time." I heard a protest from Bomi, claiming that driving was difficult on its own, and that Namjoo shouldn't criticize her until she was driving.

"Yeah, okay mom. But anyways, what are you up for right now, Jung?"

"Let's just get ice cream or whatever."

 

We sat down, and as I was about to take a spoonful of gelato, I noticed both of them taking no interest in their own and watching me intently. I put my spoon down, and took a deep breath.

"I know you guys are only doing this because you want to know what happened, and why spread so quickly." Bomi quickly shook her head in denial, and I believed her, but Namjoo wasted no time in admitting her intentions. 

"Didn't you have like a schedule or something? How did it get so ed up?" Namjoo asked, finally eating and not hiding her interest. 

"Well, I was on time, I knew what I was doing, I was ready, but that piece of showed up late, and by the time we got out of the closet-" Namjoo stifled a giggle at this unintentional pun, but quickly swallowed it after I looked ready to snap her neck. "- there were already swarms of people in the hallway. If course, we looked suspicious as hell coming out of a closet together, and I had been sitting for so long, I had to smooth out my wrinkled clothes. Of course, someone commented at how strange this looked, and for the first time I felt like I actually cared that everyone’s eyes were on me. And then, to make it worse, Sehun grabbed my hand and dragged me away.”

“Why did it bother you so much?” Bomi said, succeeding in making me admit more than my therapist had. 

“I guess everyone’s attention placed on me every other time, I can handle because it’s typical. I know what to say when I get ridiculed for being something I’m not, and it doesn’t bother me because even if they were right, they’re the ed ones for being so closed minded and idiotic, not me. I didn’t know what to say to explain myself, and I didn’t know why I needed to explain myself. I was caught at the wrong time, and I didn’t know what to say.” I sighed, still not fully understanding why a stupid situation made me so angry. 

I shouldn’t care, I should’ve shrugged it off and walked away, letting people speak for themselves and assume whatever the hell they wanted. But it wasn’t according to plan, and that made me nervous. I had a plan, I always did, and the fact that this crumbled what I had planned for weeks made me upset, to say the least. 

“Did you say anything to the freak?” Namjoo inquired. 

I had been dragged away from the crowd, and I finally shook Sehun off when we neared my classroom. 

“What the is wrong with you?” I said, as I finally got control of my hand. 

“What?” He said, his eyes growing in what I guessed to be disbelief. 

“Why the hell did you drag me away? What did I say about touching me?” I was heated to my core, and I couldn’t stop myself from yelling. 

“Well, it was obvious that you weren’t going to do anything. I just acted upon natural instinct.” He said defensively. 

“Well you wouldn’t have had to act upon that stupid instinct of yours if you knew how to ing listen!” I heard students finally coming around the corner, and my hands had turned into fists. “You f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter