Losing Yet Another One

Closer to Humans

 

 

day 9

Morning came, and the girl exited the room after making her bed, expecting the two boys to be jumping around playing about. But they just started to sleep, like all the other night animals. She smiled at their sleeping faces and positions with blankets all over the place. She quietly made her way passed them and prepared herself for another great day ahead. 

Washing up, done. Changing, done. Preparing breakfast, done. All she have to do now is wait for them to wake up and have breakfast together. While waiting, she tidied up the place, cleaned the toilet and washed the clothes. 11am now, and they are still deeply in sleep. She sighed and decided to give the small supermarket nearby a visit while they're still asleep. She made a list of what she need and set of, leaving breakfast on the table.

Not long after she left, he stirred. The sound of the closing door woke him up, and he quickly scanned his surroundings for the reason of the noise by instinct. He got up and looked out of the window. The sun had risened and the girl was walking off into the woods. He panicked, where is she going? Is she going to leave them here? He quickly went out to follow her to where ever she was heading towards.

Shocked by the sudden appearance of him by her side, she jumped. After realising who it was, she smiled and said something, which sounded like a question to him, but he didn't know how to answer. She said something else and motioned for him to follow her. They soon arrived at her destination and she started putting things into her basket. He looked at the weird green and orange stuffs, there's even red ones that he regconise as meat.

Their last stop was where all the fishes were. She took a plastic from the person behind the cashier and went to one of the tanks to catch the fish she wanted to buy. Rolling up her right hand's sleve, she dipped her hand into the big fish tanks to take out handful after handful of what seems like stones and rocks to him, but it's called clam in human language. That was the first time he saw her bare hands. She paid and they started on their way home.

The television show from yesterday had a similiar scene like this, he recalled the guy taking the bags for the girl, and so he imitated him. She gladly handed over the bags and smiled, thanking him. He's proud of himself, happy that he did something the girl approved of.

The moment they stepped into the house, they saw RyeoWook standing by the table, gobbling up the food. He stopped to look at the ones that just entered the house, realising who they were, he gave them a sheepish smile. The two of them quickly put down the bags and rushed over to join RyeoWook for breakfast. She laughed at how the two boys cutely stuff food into their mouths, making their cheeks bloat up.

After the plates and bowls were cleared, they went on to their next human lesson: speaking.

Sitting side by side, the two boys tried to follow the girl's instructions. They tried hard, but their throat and tongue were not exactly cooperating well with them. It was hard at first, but it didn't took long before he managed to get his first pronounciation right. By the end of the lesson, he could already say simple things like 'you', 'I', 'eat', 'sleep' and others, however, RyeoWook still couldn't say a single word. Considering the fact that he never spoke before in his entire life, it wasn't suprising.

They were promised an apple for each correct word learned, but she still awarded RyeoWook with a few apples to encourage him. Once the lesson was over, they started playing around, and RyeoWook snatched his friend's apple when he finished his. As she watch them chase each other around, she smiled. If only it could be like that everyday, but she knows that they will have to return to their own lives someday.

Leaving them to have fun, she went into the kitchen to prepare lunch. Unpacking the stuffs she had brought earlier that day, she thought of what to cook. What would the boys like to eat? Just as she was pondering, RyeoWook came rushing over to her side, pointing to the raw chicken on the counter. The girl laughed and nodded, saying something that he inferred as promising him that she will add it into the menu. His understanding of what the human language was increasing.

Since he did all these before when he was younger, it's easy to pick it up again, with just enough effort of course. He headed outside the house, leaving RyeoWook with the girl. Staring into the forest, he slowly smiled. The forest was what provided him shelter and food when he had nowhere else to go, and his bestfriend too. In between all those trees, he grew up with RyeoWook with lots of happy memories.

Memories of sprinting pass trees, enjoying the cooling wind brushing pass their ears were fondly. He took in a deep breath and started jogging towards the woods. He should at least enjoy running pass familiar sceneries when he can. He picked up his speed and headed towards where he first met RyeoWook, where he lost his sister, where his parents died. He thought he needed to bid goodbye to his parents before he leave the forest for good.

The trees flew pass him, the grasses brushed against his feet, and the wind messed up his short hair. It wasn't long before he reached his destination. Slowing down, he gulped. Not having the courage to face his dead parents again, he had never came back since he was seven, it's a miracle he could still remember the route back, after trying so hard to stay away.

Taking in a deep breath, he took a step closer. Although the trees are now taller, he could still clearly remember the dreadful incident that happened here before. The scene kept replaying itself in his head, making his knees weak and wobbly. He kneeled down on the spot where his father had collasped, feeling the earth with his hands. He wondered where his parents disappeared to. He never had the chance to bury them, were they eaten by some animal?

A single tear escaped his eye and dripped onto the ground his father once lied on. How he wished he could see him again. Though strict, he knows that his father wanted the best for him. He wanted so much to look at his face again, but yet he do not even have a photo of his parents, the ones that brought him into this world.

He once took all that his parents gave him for granted and never once appreciated or thanked them for everything they've done. He grabbed the necklace hanging by his chest tightly. 

I'll find CheonYi in 7 days and I'll never let her suffer again.

With that promise to his parents, he stood up and left the place without turning his head. He blinked his tears away and started sprinting off again. This time, he headed towards the river. The place where he met the lions, and the place where they tried to take his life. Jumping over rocks and fallen trees, he soon saw something familliar - the cave he had been living in for the past years, RyeoWook's house ever since he was  born.

Before he left, he craved RyeoWook, the girl, his sister and himself onto the wall. After finishing his master piece, he took a step back and smiled at the 4 stick men with huge smiles on their faces. Satisfied with the drawing he was going to leave behind, he exited the cave and continued his journey to the river bank. In less than 5 minutes, he reached the top of the waterfall. 

The peaceful sound made by the water was comforting, one of the reasons why he liked it here. Just across the river, was where the lions live. He recalled how one day when the two boys were washing themselves by the river, they decided to go over to the other side to take a look. Unexpectedly, they found two tiny new born lion cubs. They were so cute and light, it was like the wind could just blow them away.

Afraid that the mother lion wouldn't allow them to play with the cubs, they only visited when their mother was out hunting for food. They soon became great friends and playmates. Until one day, the hunter found the mother lion and began chasing her. She didn't want to lead the hunter to where her two sons were, so she made a turn just before she could reach the opening of the den.

Sadly, the turn slowed her down and the hunter managed to shoot her right where her heart was. The young lions and the two boys was in the den then, watching how the mother lion dropped down onto the floor, blood oozing out of the wound uncontrollably. The lions must have felt terrible, just like how he felt when he watch his parents die. The hunter came over and loaded the lion onto his truck before driving off. It was only after the hunter disappeared from their sight did they come out from their hiding spot.

The two brothers cried looking at the stain of their mother's blood. They thought they should give the lions some moral support, so they didn't leave for home even when the sun rose. They just stayed right beside the lions, until they suddenly attacked them without a reason. Maybe the lions felt that all humans are evil, or maybe they saw their actions as mocking their dead mother.

The older lion brother grabbed him by his left arm with his sharp teeth, and he screamed in pain as the lion pulled with all his might. The weak and tiny him could do nothing to the strong and heavy lion, screaming at the top of his voice was the only thing he could do. The other lion watched in silent, glaring at the panic-strikened boys.

RyeoWook quickly went over to lend a helping hand. He quickly found and dropped a sharp and heavy rock onto the lion's paw, making him growl in pain. With this, the boys escaped back to where their cave was.

He never once stepped into their den again since then. He slowly crossed the river and scanned for any sign of life in the den. Sensing no danger, he carefully entered the den. Memories of his childhood came rushing into his mind, just how many times had he entered the den? Countless times.

But the feeling this time was totally different.

It was only when he went deeper into the den did he hear the heavy breathing of his lion friend. It sounded like it was injured, but why? How? What happened? He quickened his pace to where the lion was, a pool of blood covered the floor around it. Gasping, he went over to the lion and squat down beside it. Scratches and bleeding wounds covered the lion, did he had a fight? 

Knowing that the lion will soon be joining his family in heaven, he patted him on his tummy, just like how he always did when they were younger. The lion stared sadly at him and he stared back, he knew the lion regconised him, not as the one they attacked, but as their childhood friend. The friend that they had fun with, the friend that visited them ever so often.

The lion moved its paw onto his lap with all the strength it had left, for a moment, he thought he saw a smile on the lion's face, so he returned it with a sad smile. Still patting the lion's tummy, he used his other hand to hold the lion's paw. He believed that the lion was asking for forgiveness. Slowly, the lion's breathing slowed down and finally came to a stop. He closed his eyes as the lion's paw loses all its strength.

Trying to keep himself together, he kissed the dead lion on the head before exiting the den. Another of his loved one gone.

I don't blame you.