Wavering

Closer to Humans

 

 

day 4

The two boys splashed water all around, having much fun. Little puddles of water was left behind here and there by the heavy rain last night. RyeoWook grinned as he aimed water directly at his friend's face. He quickly took his revenge when RyeoWook wasn't paying attention, before escaping to avoid another attack. It have been some time since they had so much fun. They do not usually come out of their cave when the sun is still up, but days with little water ponds are exceptions.

Since they don't have any electronic devices like what normal teenage boys would have, they could only make the water, the trees and the stones their toys. He ran away from his friend as fast as his legs could bring him, which was much slower compared to normal due to his dripping wet clothes. RyeoWook came back to his senses and followed him through the trees, trying to catch up with his very agile friend.

He stopped in his tracks when he saw the girl, playing with the little animals in the opening. The animals seem to very comfortable around her, they even seemed to like her. RyeoWook came bumping into his friend as he couldn't stop in time. The girl turned to look at the two of them as they accidentally rustled the brushes around them. She smiled and the two of them stared back at her.

It was the first time the girl met the human version of RyeoWook. The last time they saw each other was when he was in the werewolf mode, trying to attack her. RyeoWook might regconised her, but she would regconise him as the creature that attacked her. He looks so much nicer, so much more harmless, unlike the creature that was so aggresive and violent.

She stood up and carefully took a step towards them, saying something that was so familiar, yet so unfamiliar. RyeoWook looked at his friend, thinking that he might be able to comprehend what she was saying, but he couldn't. It was not the first time he tried to understand what message she was trying to convey to him, but he failed every single time. She pushed her glasses up with her fingers at her nose bridge and repeated her sentence. 

Seeing that they are not planing to give her a reply, she walked off, motioning for them to follow her. She started off slow to make sure they are following her, but soon picked up her pace. It was the first time she's seeing him in broad daylight. It was always dark when she saw him, and he was always alone, but this time it's different. There's a friend with him, and the sun was still high up in the sky.

Soon, they arrived at the tiny house she's living in. She opened the door and stepped inside, leaving the door wide open for them to enter. They hesitated. Not wanting to force them, she left them at the doorstep as she went in to get something. She came back with a basket of fruits, apple, raspberry, blue berries, and oranges too. It's the fruits she picked two days ago to thank him for saving her from the wolf.

She put out her hand to pass them the basket. They just stared at the basket in silence, before he slowly reached out his hand to the basket. Once the basket changed it's owner, the girl smiled. She said something, and he stared at her in confusion while RyeoWook stared at him, hoping he would provide some kind of translation. When he sensed that no translation would be coming anytime soon, he transfered his attention to the basket of fruits.

RyeoWook took an apple out and took a bite. The girl watched him and spoke again. Not understanding what she just said, RyeoWook ignored her and continued his feast on the apple. He took the basket from his friend and sat down on the cooling grass. As he gobble down the fruits, she motioned for the boy to join his friend. She pointed at the basket of fruits and smiled, encouraging him to try some.

He slowly squat down to join RyeoWook and took an apple from the basket. After examining the tiny red fruit his friend was enjoying so much, he sinked his teeth into the juicy sweet apple. The girl kneeled down beside them and watched them fill their mouths with different kind of fruits. He watched her watch them eat.

Glasses and long sleves again.

Sensing his stare, she turned to look at him. He picked up one random fruit near his hand and offered it to the girl. She seemed shock at first, but quickly recovered and happily accepted the fruit from him. Time past by fast when you're enjoying yourself, it wasn't long before the sun was replaced by the moon. Not realising that the girl had fallen asleep as she leaned against the railings of the stairs, the two of them played with each other, deciding who should get the last few berries in the basket. 

When the basket was finally empty, the boys turned back to the girl to return her the basket. Only then did they realised that she's already in dream land. He left RyeoWook with the basket and slowly approached her. Looking at her closed eyelids behind the frame, he realised how long her eye lashes are. RyeoWook came to join him and stared at the sleeping girl. Curious of why she was not moving, he gave her arm a gentle poke.

Receiving no reaction, RyeoWook decided to give a much harder poke, which then caused the sleeping girl to fall from her position. Her head slided down the railing and landed on his friend's shoulder. He turned stiff and glared at the culprit. As he was trying to figure out what to do with her, images of television scenes from the past surfaced. His parents didn't allow him to watch television shows, but he would always find time to sneak his sister and himself into the television room.

Following what he saw in the television shows, he gently picked up the girl and invited himself into the house. That's the second time he entered a building since he was seven years old. He pushed open the bedroom door with his leg and placed her down on the bed. That cloth at the bottom of the bed triggered some memories of his childhood. Slowly, he picked up the blanket and covered the girl with it, just like how he always covered his sister with her blanket when they were younger.

Hearing his friend growl, he quickly exited the room. RyeoWook was glaring at the mirror standing at the corner of the living room. The dirty creature with torn clothes glared back at him, growling without sound when RyeoWook growled at him. He made his way to the mirror and stared at it. He remember that thing. He saw it before at home, his mother used to like staring at it every morning. 

Mirror.

He calmly stopped RyeoWook from growling and walked nearer towards his reflection. Long messy hair, worn out clothes, and dirt everywhere. The only thing that have changed for the better about his appearance compared to when he was seven, was that he's much taller now. Perhaps the muscles trained from the many years of hunting too. RyeoWook looked from his friend, to the mirror, and back to his friend.

He gulped, why did the new creature in the mirror look so much like his friend?

RyeoWook watched as his friend suddenly turned away from that piece of glass and walked out of the front door. He growled at the creature one last time before quickly following him out of the house, leaving the mirror behind. The two of them decided to not hunt tonight, it's a day off for them.

As RyeoWook jumped around from trees to trees outside the cave, he could only sit at his corner of the cave. Does he really like his life in the jungle? Does he like what he had become? His parents will be so disappointed if they see him now, they used to scold him when he rushed to school without combing his hair or went home with soiled clothes. He's supposed to be neat and tidy, well mannered and obedient every single second of his life.

Looking at his black jaggered finger nails, he recalled how he used to laugh at his friends for having dirty finger nails. He sighed, it's not the first time he questioned his decision of staying in the forest. However, whenever he thinks about his sister, he will have the determination to continue living in the between the trees. Today, he just felt like being selfish. 

He'll regret his decision just for tonight. He'll continue to live because of his sister tomorrow, when the sun rises. He closed his eyes and imagine himself in the city, living in a beautiful house instead of a cave, eating cooked food instead of raw meat. He'll have nicely trimmed hair, and clean nails. Wearing warm and comfortable clothes, he will be shopping with his sister, buying everything and anything that she wants for her. 

He'll pack a lunch box for his sister before cycling her to school every morning. He'll play with her in the playground and fountain, bring her to her favourite idol's concert and get her their albums. They'll have so much fun. If only he didn't spend more than half of his life so far in the forest, if only his sister wasn't taken away by the awful creature. A tear rolled down from the tip of his eyes, pass his cheeks and dripped onto the floor.

If only.