Mystery Solved

Closer to Humans

 

 

day 1110

Mrs Lee knocked gently on KyuHyun's bedroom door. It have been 3 years now, 3 years since KyuHyun left the forest, and all these time JinHye's adoptive mother have been kind enough to let him stay with them. The clock struck 10 am and KyuHyun jumps up from bed, making his way to open the door for Mrs Lee. He accidentally kicked the bed side table and fell over, despite the bright sunlight shining into his bedroom through the semi-opaque curtain.

A sharp pain travelled from the tip of his toes to the very top of his head. Resisting the temptation to scream out in pain, he gave his injured toes a quick rub before rushing towards the door. The door flew open and KyuHyun stood face to face with Mrs Lee. His half asleep eyes met her kind eyes. They look extremely like JinHye's eyes, and he often wonder why they would have such similiar eyes if they were not blood related.

" It's time for breakfast sleepyhead. " Her smile reaches up all the way to her eyes, although filled with wrinkles, they're still beautiful. She paused for a little while before adding, " JinHye's going to bring you to somewhere fun, you better get dressed and come down quickly. "

It was only then did KyuHyun remember, it's his supposedly birthday today. Well, since he can't remember his real birth date, they gave him a new one, the day he left his forest life, the day he became human again, the day he became part of their family. He returned her smile and nodded, " I'll be downstairs soon. "

1 hour later, Mrs Lee is standing beside the main door, waving her two children goodbye.

JinHye excitedly grabbed KyuHyun's arm and pulled him along, towards the bus stop, " Walk faster! We might miss the bus! " He smiled, taking bigger steps to keep up with her fast pace. This is the third time JinHye is celebrating his birthday for him and every single time, she is just as excited. Minutes later, they are on the bus, heading towards a location unknown to KyuHyun. No matter how much KyuHyun tried to get the answer out of JinHye, she wasn't giving in. After many failed attempts, he finally gave up.

Why is she so secretive?

Well, at least he know he can trust the girl to not do anything weird. The bus ride was extremely long, it was as if they were going out of town. The buildings start to disappear and green filled all four directions. The number of passengers on the bus decreased everytime it paused at each stop and the scenery becomes familiar. KyuHyun knows that he've seen the place somewhere before, but he didn't know where, or when. He frowned when a big old mansion came into his sight.

The mansion look so huge even though they're still some distance away. Something at the back of his mind was trying to get his attention, but he couldn't seem to remember. KyuHyun stare at the growing mansion, he regconised this place, this place was where everything started. It wasn't long before the bus stopped again, this time, JinHye quickly led him down the bus, they've reached their destination- KyuHyun's home.

It've been so many years since he last saw the mansion. The memories were getting faint, but now that he's standing right outside these massive gates, everything came rushing back. He knows every single corridor, all the rooms, and he sees his family, his nanny, the butler, even the gardener. It was as if he was back home, back to when he was 7. The front gates slowly opened, making way for the two of them. KyuHyun gulped, before carefully taking a step into his house.

The first step was hard, but the rest was easy, soon, they were standing infront of the front door. He must have grown much taller, because the door seems to have shrink compared to the last time he walked through that very same door. JinHye was about to knock when someone opened the door from inside. Time seems to stood still as the door slowly opened itself, revealing what's inside. He stopped breathing in without realising it himself. JinHye gave him a tiny pat on his shoulder and smiled, " Are you okay? "

KyuHyun nooded, his eyes not leaving the door. Finally, a tiny old lady emerged from behind the giantic doors. The features are so familiar, everything about her was exactly like what he remembered years ago, the only difference was her now snow white hair and crumpled skin. He let out his breath, " N-nanny? "

Wrinkles can be seen everywhere as her lips slowly curved to form a smile, her eyes watery. She wobbled forward and reached out her shaking hand to him. She caress him just like when he was 7, he felt like a little boy again. A tear of happiness escaped her eyes as she invited the two in. With KyuHyun still in shock, the three of them made their way to the living room. It was exactly like how it was years ago, the furnitures still in place and dust free.

A man then came into the room, with him was a dog and a tray of tea. He smiled as he placed the tray on the coffee table, " Glad to see you back, Hyunie. "

In the whole of this world, only one person would call him that, his parents thought it was silly to have a nickname like that, but he still continued with it anyway. The only boy in the whole mansion, perhaps the whole world, that dare to defy his parents was DongHae, or more commonly known as 'The Milk Boy'. Mr and Mrs Cho called him that because he was in charged of delivering fresh milk to the bedroom door of the family every morning.

" Don't you let me find you! Cheonie's already here and you're next! "

DongHae's voice echoed in his head, the three of them would play hide and seek once in a while and the two siblings can never win him. He was the only kid in the mansion, except for KyuHyun and his sister that is. Although they were two years apart, they were best friends. Well, they only have each other as companions. KyuHyun stared at the man infront of him and he can hear his sister's giggle in the background, for the upteempth time in a short ten minutes, he felt like the life in the forest was all just a dream.

" Hyung... "

DongHae smiled, " Looks like you haven't forget me. But I'm sorry, Yoonie is now my new best friend, right? " The dog wagged his tail as he bent down to pet him. JinHye smiled at the cute puppy and DongHae proudly showed them how Yoonie can shake hands with him. " After Mr and Mrs Cho brought you and CheonYi out that night, many things happened. Most of the staffs left because they were so afraid, all the others slowly left too as time goes by, only DongHae and I stayed behind. I knew you would be back someday, and I'm so glad you did. " Nanny smiled.

Now that she mentioned, KyuHyun was even more curious of what happened, " What exactly happened that night? "

" A bunch of men with guns barged into the house, demanding for us to leave. He said that Mr Cho stole his money and he is here to confiscate the house to get his money back, but I know it's not true, Mr Cho would never have done that. " The old lady sighed, " Those men kept all of us hostaged at the house for 2 whole days before the police finally arrived. If it wasn't DongHae who escaped and went into the city to inform the police, we might have all been killed. "

DongHae nodded proudly to himself as Nanny gave him an approving pat on his shoulder. " During the 2 days they were here, I accidentally overheard one of their phone call conversation with another guy. From what I can make up from it, it seems like they wanted to take over Mr Cho's company but since he didn't want to sell it, they decided to take over it by force. "

" Those evil people! " DongHae tsked, " Luckily they've been caught already, if not they'll just bring more harm to other people. " He paused, nodding to himself, before adding, " By the way, where's your parents? And Cheonie? "

A look of worry immediately replaced her kind smile, " That's right, what exactly happened? The police went to the forest to look for you and your family, but they never found anyone, just a little clearing filled with blood stains proved to belong to your family. "

KyuHyun gulped, " Mother and father was- " He took in a deep breath, his fist tighten, " they were shot. " The old lady tried to keep her tears in as he continued, " They were killed by those people. "