The Similarities

Closer to Humans

 

 

day 11

It's another day well spent in the tiny house in the woods. They learnt new stuffs and had lots of fun. The sun was already set, replaced by the bright moon, lighting up the forest. Not far away from the forerst, the city people were all busily doing their own stuffs, closing their stores, finishing up their homework, or simply laughing at the television screen. Here, the three of them are currently preparing for bed too.

JinHye carefully removed the bandage on KyuHyun's shoulder, it's been some time since the gun shot incident now, the wound should be closed. As he watched her busy herself with his injury he asked, " Why you know how... " Unable to find the right word, he just used his right hand to point to whatever she was doing to complete his question.

She replied without taking her eyes off of what she's doing, " It's because I was a student in the medical course. " That would explain why she was sad she couldn't save the dying lion, and all the medical instuments she have. " Was? " His question made her paused for a little while, but she quickly recovered and answered, " I made a mistake, so I got kicked out. " 

KyuHyun could see that she's sad about it, but she tried to sound casual, like she wasn't affected by it. Is that the reason why she wanted to get away from the city? He smiled, " I sure other course want you. " He wanted to cheer her up, but it seemed like it backfired. " But being a doctor was my dream. " He didn't know what mistake she made, was it really so serious? And why doctor? He's sure that there are a lot of other good jobs out there. He wanted to know, but he was scared that his question might worsen her mood, and hence he kept quiet. 

However, after a moment of silence, JinHye answered his question without him asking, " My adoptive father was a doctor. When I first arrived infront their house, I was sick, he cured me and allowed me to stay in their house, watching me grow. When I was around 10, he was discovered to be dignosed with cancer. He saved my life, but I couldn't do anything to help him. That was when I decided I want to be a doctor. "

Slowly, KyuHyun nodded his head. He could understand the desperation of wanting to save your loved one. She then continued, " But I ruined everything when I made a mistake during the medical examinations. One couldn't afford to make any mistakes in the hospital, but I did. Now, I can never be a doctor. " No wonder she panicked when he showed up infront of her door injured, she must have been scared that she'll make another mistake again.

They were silent for a while, before he tried to change the topic, " Another scar. " Pointing to his gun wound, he pretended to sulk. He didn't actually mind having another scar, since he already had countless scars on his body, but he thought it would be good to divert the topic away from her career. She smiled a little, " I have one too, on my left arm. " 

He turned to look at her, a scar on her left arm? Is that why she always wear long sleeves shirts? Feeling his stare, she blushed, " Don't look at me like that! I'm not lying. " 

" Sorry. " He quickly looked away and JinHye finished up whatever she was doing with his shoulder. She then left the room to put away all the medical instuments, leaving him in the room alone, lost in his own thoughts. He stared at her disappearing figure, she must have went through a really tough life. A scar must have meant a lot since she's a girl, not having any childhood and not knowing who her real parents are must have made it worse.

Something then hit him, lost of memory, adoptive mother, scar on left arm? It sounded like something CheonYi might experience. He remembered clearly how the creature had dragged her away from him by clenching it's teeth tightly against her tiny left arm. Their parents died right infront of their eyes, so it wouldn't be weird if she got an adoptive mother, and her lost of memory will explain why she can't remember having an older brother.

His heart raced, gulping, he tightly warped his necklace in his palms. KyuHyun didn't know what he was feeling, he should be glad that he might have found his long lost sister, but he didn't feel the happiness, she's not the sister he want to have. But then again, he might have felt so special towards JinHye because in his heart, he had already knew long time ago that they're siblings.

He refused to look at the evidence that seemed to have proved his thoughts correct. He recalled how he thought JinHye's eyes look like CheonYi's eyes. The two pair of eyes that he love, could they have been the same pair? He's confused and terrified, it's not yet 15 days, so it's not true right? He'll find his sister in another 4 days, not now. KyuHyun tried to convince himself, but even he started to doubt himself. 

Just then, JinHye came back into the room, smilling, she said, " It's time for bed. "

He slowly stood up and exited the room, passing by the girl. How much had he wanted to grab her by the shoulders and ask her all the questions he had in his mind, all the things that had seem to match, but he didn't want to believe in. Once he was out of the room, she closed the door behind him. He wondered if JinHye had ever wanted to know about her childhood, her real family members.

Step by step, he walked over to his sleeping area and sat down beside RyeoWook. Sensing that his friend was being weird, RyeoWook nudged him, giving him a concerned look. KyuHyun just brushed him off and lied down in a position where RyeoWook could not see his face. He needed to think, he needed time to himself. Although he felt bad ignoring RyeoWook's concern for him as a friend, he couldn't be bothered to entertain anyone now.

RyeoWook shrugged and went to sleep too. He knows when to leave his friend alone, and when to just keep his mouth shut and stay by his side, just like how KyuHyun would know what to do when RyeoWook is feeling down. Afterall, they had been friends for many many years now, it's normal to know what each other needs.

KyuHyun didn't know what to do. What will he do if JinHye really is CheonYi? Will she leave her adoptive mother for the brother she don't remember having? Will he be satisfied with just being her brother? He had always wanted to find his sister as fast as possible, but this was not how he wanted it, not how he had dreamt of. Is that weird feeling he had been getting trying to hint him this? Hint him that JinHye is CheonYi?

He recalled the 4 stick men on the cave wall, was it meant to be 3 instead of 4 all along?