The Late Forgiveness

Closer to Humans

 

 

day 14

KyuHyun carefully opened the door, as quietly as possible. It's 3am now, JinHye should be sleeping, so should RyeoWook, if he's here that is. KyuHyun had left a note for the girl 2 days ago, saying he'll be out for a morning walk. He didn't thought his walk would be 2 days long. He slowly crept into the house, closing the door behind him. The lights of the living room was still on, JinHye had fallen asleep on the sofa. 

He suddenly felt guilty, for worrying her. She must have been waiting for the two boys to come home, but none did. He took a blanket from his matress and placed it on the girl. She stirred, probably woken by the movements near her. Slowly, JinHye opened her eyelids, and the first thing she saw was KyuHyun standing infront of her. He was expecting her to scold him like what his parents would always do when he went home later than usual, but she didn't.

She smiled, " You're home? Are you hungry? "

He gave her a puzzled look, why was she not angry? How can she still smile like that to him after he disappeared for 2 whole days without telling her anything? She's too kind, just like his sister. Should he be glad that JinHye is not CheonYi? Although they are different people, they have so much in common. If not for RyeoWook, he would have really believed they were the same person.

Just as he was about to answer her question, his stomach growled in hunger, providing JinHye with the answer she needed. She laughed and quickly went inside the kitchen to prepare food for KyuHyun. He bit his lips in embarrassment and silently blamed his tummy for growling at the wrong time. JinHye must have been tired, how could he take away her sleep time because he wanted some food? After watching the girl cook for the past few days, he was almost certain he could get some food ready for himself.

He went into the kitchen and watched the girl cook. It looked really easy, but it must have been harder than it looked, because he burned the fish JinHye gave him when he asked to help her cook. It didn't took long for the table to be filled with food, and the two settled down around the table. As KyuHyun filled his stomach, JinHye attempted to start a conversation, " Where's RyeoWook? "

Her question made him paused, but he soon recovered. Shrugging his shoulders, he continued feeding himself. She frowned, " You didn't see him? " He didn't stop this time round, he just shook his head. She sighed, " That's weird, he said he was going to look for you. " 

KyuHyun looked up at her, sallowing the food in his mouth before speaking, " He no get lost in forest. "

" Well, that's true, but what if something happened to him? Like that hunter or wild boars or crocodiles? "  He looked away and stared at his bowl, " He protect himself. " Of course he can, RyeoWook is not just a normal boy, he's a werewolf. He'll be able to defeat anyone, or anything. After fighting with him in his werewolf mode a few times, KyuHyun knows how strong his friend is. Although KyuHyun always win in their battles, it's because RyeoWook let him. 

When RyeoWook turn into a werewolf, he would kill anything that he come across. He'll be unstoppable, until he calmed down and slowly get his concious back. When he does, he will distant himself from everyone till he turn back into a boy. So everytime KyuHyun find RyeoWook in his werewolf mode, he'll just have to make sure he doesn't hurt anyone before he calms down again.

JinHye sighed, " He's just a harmless little boy. How can he- "

" Harmless? " KyuHyun asked in disbelief, his friend is anything but harmless. How much he wanted to tell her that RyeoWook was that creature that attacked her the first time they met, that RyeoWook was the one who took his sister away from him. No matter how much he wanted to blurt the truth out to JinHye, he cannot, he'll not drag the girl into this dark world they lived in. Shocked by his sudden outburst, she asked back, " I-is he not? "

No reply came, and silence followed. She cleared and tried to start another conversation, " Let's have a lesson of writing tomorrow morning. " He nodded half heartedly. Tomorrow morning, it was suppose to be the day he gets his wish fulfilled. It was suppose to be the day he gets to meet his sister again, but he made a wrong step and messed up everything. Now he'll never be able to meet CheonYi again.

Sensing that KyuHyun had no intention of replying her, JinHye continued, " You have been a really fast learner, I'm sure you'll be able to master it soon. I'm worried about RyeoWook though, he have been practicing how to say sorry, but to no avail. I hope he can catch up soon. "

" Sorry? " 

She nodded, " He didn't even try to say other things, just sorry. " 

Does he even know how to be sorry?

KyuHyun was still unable to forgive his friend for hurting his sister and pretending that he didn't know a single thing. JinHye could see something wrong, something must had happened between them. She frowned, never had she seen KyuHyun so cold and not interested in a topic regarding RyeoWook. She was about to ask what happened when something else interupted her, a loud bang.

He stopped eating and turned alert. Why a sudden gun shot in the middle of the night? He quickly exited the house, to have a clearer view of what was happening outside. JinHye followed him, leaving the food on the table. He saw a shadow run pass the house in a split second, and he immediately knew who that was. The hunter must have spotted him running about. RyeoWook's in danger. 

After being friends with him for so many years, living in the cave he provided, he could not just leave him like that. RyeoWook saved him from the lions before, now it's time he save him from the hunter. He quickly sprint towards the direction RyeoWook ran off to. He'll have to find him, calm him down, and turn him back into a boy, so that the hunter wouldn't shoot him. He went as fast as his legs could bring him, which wasn't very fast because of his lack of sleep.

The scenery blurred and he pushed pass trees, trying to catch up with RyeoWook. He could hear the hunter opening fire now and then, trying to shoot the escaping creature. KyuHyun knew that he was near, he could see RyeoWook in a distance. One advantage KyuHyun have over the hunter was that he has better eyesight. He knows the hunter couldn't really see well in the dark, unlike the two boys that used to hunt every night.

But perhaps the hunter had more luck than him, because the next thing he knows, RyeoWook collapsed. He heard RyeoWook cry out in pain, and he stopped in his tracks. He's too late. RyeoWook got shot, and he could do nothing to change it. He quickly rushed to where the fallen creature was at, blood oozing out of the wound near his chest. KyuHyun kneeled down beside his friend, his enemy, his family.

The animal took his sister away from him, but it was still painful to he see him dying right infront of him. His hand could not stop shaking, his throat dry, and his eyes watery. KyuHyun wanted to scream at him, tell him to return him his sister, but his tongue was tied, not a word managed to escape his mouth.

How could you leave like that after taking my sister away?!

The werewolf slowly turned back into a boy. His claws gone, replaced by hands. RyeoWook looked at the boy infront of him, the boy who was still too shocked to say anything. Slowly, he opened his mouth, taking in a deep breath, he tried to say something, but KyuHyun quickly stopped him, " Don't say it now, you won't die now, say it after you recover. "

He didn't want his friend, his family for 19 years to leave just like that, he cannot accept it. No matter how much he hated him for hurting his sister, he still didn't want to see RyeoWook dying, right infront of him, just like all his other family members. His father, his mother, CheonYi, the lion brothers, they all left him, now RyeoWook too? He's going to be all alone, he didn't want that to happen, and he's not going to allow that to happen.

He clumsily tried to stand up, he needed to get RyeoWook back to JinHye, but RyeoWook stopped him. He knew he was not going to make it back in time, he knows it the best himself. KyuHyun wanted to deny it, he didn't want to believe that RyeoWook would leave him too, but the dying boy didn't have much time left, he had to do what he needed to do. RyeoWook reached into his pocket and pulled out something, the thing he tried to pass to KyuHyun yesterday.

He pushed it to his friend and opened his mouth for one last time, " S-sorr-ry. "

It's the first word RyeoWook said in his entire lifetime, and it's to apologise to KyuHyun. RyeoWook smiled, he did it, he finished what he had to do, maybe it's time to leave, how can he continue his happy life after taking away other people's? And it's his bestfriend's sister's happy life, not just anyone's. KyuHyun tried to blink away the tears in his eyes, scolding RyeoWook with his trembling voice, " I-I said not to say it now! "

KyuHyun felt something choked in his throat, something that made it hard for him to swallow. This was all his fault, if he had forgiven RyeoWook yesterday, they could have gone back to the house together, the hunter wouldn't have spotted RyeoWook roaming around then. How much did he wanted to turn back time and change everything that went wrong, to prevent all the tradegies and mistakes. But he cannot.

RyeoWook splurted out some blood and his hand fell to his side. He survived 2 gunshots, how can RyeoWook die the first time he experienced it?

That's not fair! Don't leave me alone here!

The world was never been fair, and it's time he learnt that not everything will go as he wants. But then again, nothing actually went the way he wanted, his family died, the lion brothers attacked him, he wasted the blue moon wish, and now RyeoWook left him. Well, at least he can now continue his life in the city right? Since there's nothing left in the forest for him to miss. He'll become a normal boy.

Just like how he wished.