Blue Moon

Closer to Humans

 

 

day 1

It's twelve midnight. The big clock in the city sounded exactly twelve times. Most people were sleeping soundly on their comfortable beds, trying to get some rest before the sun rises again. Regardless if it's work for adults, or school for kids, there's always a busy day waiting for them tomorrow. Few of them are on the streets, almost none at all. All of the shops were closed, there was nothing they could shop for anyway, neither would there be anyone to entertain them. 

As the city slowly fall into a deep slumber, a beast like animal was loitering about the forest, the forest on top of the hill near the city. He patrolled around on his four limbs, his back hunched, his arms and legs strong like an old oak tree. He opened his mouth, and let out a howl. He stared at the beautiful night sky with his sharp eyes, hoping to see the blue moon. Realising that the clouds were blocking the moon, he adverted his gaze away from the sky.

The creature had been roaming around from the east of the forest to the west of the forest for the past 19 years. But of course, not alone. He has a buddy, someone he's been staying with for as long as he had been in the forest. His buddy is one weird fellow though. Sometimes, he can be so sweet and clumsy, but other times, he can be so agressive and hungry for blood that nobody can stop him.

But somethings are for sure, they are more than friends, more than room mates, more than hunting buddies, they are family. Maybe not related by blood, but to each other, they are the only family members they have left. Both of them have excellent eyesight, amazing sense of smell, and extremely good instinct. It's the basics they must have, in order to stay in the jungle, alive.

He looked around him and studied the details. Two little bunnies had hopped into the range of his eyesight. He stared intensely at them, and they stared back. Those two cute creatures were definitely not one of his prey. He will not to be their predator, unless needed. Yes, he's a beast, but he's a beast with humanity. He wouldn't hurt anything that is not of his own size. Did you ask why? Maybe it's because of the little sister he once had.

He would never harm something that doesn't have the ability to protect themselves, unlike that beast that took his sister away from him years ago. He will never do something so inhumane. He despise him. He despise it. His eyes burn in anger as he remembered that beastly creature, however, he soon soften when he saw the two bunnies twitched their tiny pink noses.

The bunnies looked away and hopped their way out of his view. For a moment, he wanted to stop them, but he soon realised that those are not his sister. 

What am I doing with my life? I am so dirty, I should get myself cleaned. My posture is terrible, I should stand up straight. My younger sister is missing, I should have found her. But why can't I? Why can't I do anything right?

He felt disgusted by himself. Other people might be afraid of him, they might run when they see him, but he's just a helpless little boy inside. He felt so useless for not being able to find his sister even after searching for so many years. So much time past that he already lost count of the number of winters and summers he had experienced in the forest.

However, he did not give up looking for his sister. He believes that she is still somewhere in the forest, alive and waiting for him to find her.  That's why he did not even once stepped out of the forest during this long period of time.

He forgot his full name and his age. He forgot how to hold a pen, how to read. He forgot how to use a fork and a spoon. He forgot how to talk too. Well, there's nobody in the forest to talk to him in human language anyway. He basically forgot everything about his life outside the forest. The only family member he have left, the friend who found him injured, lying lifelessly in the middle of the forest, had always told him not to be so hard on himself.

But he couldn't help it. He felt that it was his fault for not being able protect his own sister. 

He looked away from the spot that the bunnies had disappeared into. He shouldn't be there wasting his time, he should hunt for food. If he finishes his task fast, he might even have enough time to look for his sister before the sun rise. 

It wasn't long before he found his dinner. It's a big brown bear wandering around on it's own. He slowly crept forward, waiting for the right time to pounce on the animal. Another soft step forward, he wouldn't want to alert the bear. His eyes fixed on his target, and his ears concentrating on his own heartbeat. He took another step, it's almost time, he's close enough.

He took in a deep breath and prepared to attack. 

However, just before he could leap out of his hiding place, he stopped. Another bear came into the picture. It was a female bear, a pregnant bear. After so many years in the forest, he can easily tell things apart. The two bear cuddled each other lovingly and scratched backs for the other party. He took a step back and stared. Unknowingly, he envied the two bears.

How I wish I can be a normal boy. With a normal girlfriend.

He turned away and walked in the opposite path, he shouldn't be breaking up a family. Carrying his heavy heart, he headed back home, but fate changed his plans. He came across a tiny hut that used to be empty. Nobody lived there and it's always dark inside. Tonight, it's different. He saw light from the windows, he stopped to look.

He had always been a curious child, but with a busy and strict father, there was rarely any time for his questions to be answered. This time though, his curiousity was given an answer. A young lady opened the door and stepped out into the open space. Her long silky black hair drapped over her shoulders, the white long sleve shirt she wore emphasised how dark her hair is, and her eyes shone under the moonlight.

Even though her eyes were partly hidden by a pair of black-framed glasses, it was obvious that she has beautiful eyes. He couldn't help it but to stare. How long had it been since he saw a female?

She walked gracefully down the creaky stairs of the little wooden house, and positioned herself on the swing placed outside the building. She stared at the moon, deep in thought, while he stared at her, deep in thought. He blinked. He was curious, curious of why she was staring at the moon. Is she looking for the blue moon too? Does she know the legacy of the blue moon too? He didn't know.

Unconsciously, he followed her gazed and his eyes found the moon. 

The blue moon.

His eyes widened and his heartbeat fastened it's pace, he gulped and closed his eyes. After calming down, he took another look at the moon, it's still blue. It really is the blue moon. The moment he have been waiting for years and years. He allowed a little smile inside of him as a spark of hope brightened his eyes, he tried to contain his excitement, but it was not easy.

I wish, that I can see my younger sister again. Please.

His friend had told him the story about the blue moon. That once in a very long time, the blue moon will appear, and the first wish that they make that night, will happen. He have been waiting for it, and now this is his chance.

Just then, his ears picked up a rustling of bushes near by. He turned, alert. Scanning around him, he tried to look for whatever that might be waiting to attack. Before he could find the source, the creature showed itself. It was a wolf. Although it is covered with drak grey furs, he could clearly see how heavily the wolf was breathing. It made his way to the girl and she backed away.

He could see the girl's panic-striken face and her clumsy movements. The wolf leaped up into the air and towards the girl, hungry for blood.

Running to the girl as fast as he could, probably the fastest he had ever ran before, he blocked the wolf from reaching the girl. He stood between them and glared at the wolf, growling at him, trying to scare him off. The girl stared at the two creature infront of her. One trying to attack her, and one trying to protect her. She covered her eyes as the two fought with their claws and teeth.

Her heart couldn't stop racing and her legs wouldn't move. Tears streamed down her cheeks as she stood rooted to the ground, unable to move a single muscle. The fight is over. The wolf had escaped. Or at least that was what the girl thought. She slowly removed her hands from her face and stared timidly at the surviving creature infront of her. It's now that she realised - it's not a creature. He's a boy.

The boy took in a deep breath and stumbled away from her, trying to get back into the woods as fast as he could. He's not used to being around humans, not before, not now, perhaps never again. However before he could disappear into the darkness, he fell down onto the ground. The girl quickly ran towards him and kneeled down beside the fallen figure. She said something that he could not understand. A language that he used to understand. 

She helped him up and attempted to bring him back into the house, but he pushed her away and headed back into the trees. Knowing that she's safe is enough, he should go home now. But the girl insisted, she gently led him back, towards the door. He couldn't resist, he did not have the energy to, he felt so sick and tired. It was exactly like what he felt years ago, when he woke up to find his parents dead and his sister crying by his side.

The girl released his arms only when she was sure that he was safe on the bed. After saying something that the boy couldn't understand, she walked off hurriedly. He lay quietly on the bed, something that he haven't seen since he was seven. The girl soon came back with a first aid kid and started tending to his wounds. His vision was blurry but he knew that the girl is skilled with whatever she was doing.

He could feel her hands and the cloth wiping off blood from him, disinfecting his wounds, but he couldn't be bothered. All that he could think of, was how his friend, his roommate, his family, had striked again.

 

My werewolf buddy.