Into the Woods

Closer to Humans

 

 

day 2

The sun shone brightly into the tiny room through the small window beside the bed. The bees are up and buzzing around the flowers, the deers running around playing with each other, and the night animals are all safely back home, waiting for nightfall again. Maybe all but one. He slowly opened his sleepy eyes, his whole body ached and he didn't feel like moving. However, once he saw his environment, he changed his mind. 

I'm not at home. Where am I?

His animal instinct taught him to be alert at all times, especially when he's in unfamiliar places, like now. Sitting up, he looked around the room. It's pretty much empty except for the bed he was lying on, the tiny wooden table beside the bed, and an almost collapsing rocking chair at the corner. Memories of last night rushed into his head, he fought his friend, saved the girl, and she tended to his wounds. That explained why he's in a house.

Just then, he heard a click coming from outside the bedroom door. The girl must be back from where ever she had went to.

Not wanting to stay in there any longer, he quickly escaped through the window, ignoring the sharp pain he was experiencing because of all his injuries. The moment he disappeared through the window, the girl entered the room. Her smiling eyes faded away as soon as she saw him gone. Her hands dropped to her side in disappointment, the basket she brought back dangling by her side. She frowned a little and sighed, before exiting the room.

He slowly made his way back into the trees, back towards home.

Struggling his way through the big and cramp trees was hard work, but he did it. He arrived infront of a gigantic cave, the cave that he had been staying in for as long as he was in the forest since he was seven. Never had he spent his dawn outside of the cave, it's dangerous to be out wondering around when the sun is high up in the sky, some kind of hunter might just shoot them down.

He wobbled inside, stopping only when he saw his friend, RyeoWook.

RyeoWook looked down to the floor, guilty. Clearing his throat, RyeoWook walked over and showed him a nighttingale. The bird struggled inside his palms, trying to escape, but failed terribly as RyeoWook tightened his grip on the bird.​ He stared at the bird he caught instead of looking at his friend. How could he still look straight at him after what he had done to him last night?

He stared at his friend who was still staring at the bird. He remembered the first time they met, and when he first discovered he's a werewolf.

He reached out his hands and accepted the bird from his friend. That's the way they apologise. Gifting the other person with a bird, and when they have forgiven each other, the bird will be released back into the sky. Just like what both of them wanted. Freedom. But it was all but just a fantasy. RyeoWook will never be free. He's a werewolf and he cannot break the curse, there was nothing he could do about it. While him himself was still caged by the fact that he hadn't found his sister.

Once the bird reached his palms, he allowed the bird to flap it's wings and fly towards the entrance of the cave. He was not angry, he couldn't be angry. He knew that his friend didn't mean to hurt him. RyeoWook can never control himself when he's thristy for blood, and he knows that. After a few moment of silence, he walked away from RyeoWook and sat down at a corner, his corner.

It's only then did he realised that he was covered in bandages, soaking wet in red blood. He tore off the bandages and studied his injuries. Big and small. Deep and light. There were all kind of new wounds caused by his friend last night.

That'll just be a few more scars on my body.

RyeoWook stared at him, his friend who is so forgiving, but who knows how long that will last? Will it still be the same as time goes by? Guilt pang his chest again as he remembered the secret he's been keeping from him all this time. RyeoWook knew he shouldn't keep his friend from the truth, but he couldn't tell him, or their friendship will be over. And no matter how many birds he catch for him, it'll never be the same again.

RyeoWook knows how it'll end up like, that's why he chose to keep quiet.

Time past in silence as the two boy do their own things. Carving stuffs on the wall, looking at how the tree branches swing as the wind blow, and counting the number of deers passing by the front of their cave. The sun went down earlier than expected, it's already seven, time to hunt for dinner again. They gave each other a look before setting out in different directions.

Somehow, he ended up back at the hut. He looked around for any signs of the girl, but he found none. He was about to leave when he heard someone's voice, the girl's voice. Although he wasn't clear headed last night, he could still remember clearly how the girl sounded like. He turned around and saw her running towards him. He backed away as the girl made her way nearer to him.

She saw his discomfort and stopped in her tracks. Smiling, she said something again.

He just stared. Not knowing how to respond, he could only reply her with staring. The girl took a step forward and repeated her sentence. He frowned, taking a step back. As the girl opened for the third time, he turned away. He did not and could not understand whatever she was trying to let him know. He felt pathetic, for not understanding what he should, what normal humans would understand.

He's not normal.

But it's not the time to be grieving for himself, he still had a mission at hand. As long as he can find his sister, he don't mind who, or what, he will have to become.

He knew it wouldn't be long, since he had already made his wish to the blue moon, it will soon happen, it'll be the happiest day of his entire life. Even if they cannot be together, he's happy enough as long as he get to see her again, to make sure she's well and alive. It doesn't matter if she can't see him, he'll be contented if he can watch her from some distance away. His sister was the only one that can help release him from the jungle.

He once thought he will leave the forest once he find his sister. He will leave the trees and find a nice place to spend the rest of his life in peace with his sister, but now, he's not so sure anymore. He might never leave the forest, he might just stay there with RyeoWook forever, until his last breath.

RyeoWook once found some carvings in a cave far away. It stated that when there's a blue moon, the first wish you made that night will come true in 15 days. Just 15 days. Already waited 19 years, 15 days are nothing. He made the wish last night, so 14 more days and he'll be able to die without regrets. He'll make the decision then, whether to leave or stay, the place that he is born in, or the place that he grew up in?

Wait for me, my sister, oppa is coming.

The girl stared at the disappearing figure. Does he not understand what she's trying to say?

Well, he definitely did not understood a single thing. The girl felt puzzled and weird. She wanted to know more about that boy, the boy that saved her from that scary wolf last night, the boy that haven't once opened his mouth to speak, the boy that is mysteriously living in a forest. She wanted to be friends with him, she was sure that they would be great friends.

Furthermore, she still haven't pass him the gift for saving her, the one she prepared in the morning while he's still resting. How she hoped that they will meet again, so that she can get to know more about him.

And they will.