Another Step

Closer to Humans

 

 

day 8

The two of them stared at the setting sun, beautiful orange filled the sky. Just a few more minutes, and they'll exit the cave. He adverted his gaze from the sun to RyeoWook, he nudged him and RyeoWook turned to look at him. Staring into his innocent shiny black eyes, he wondered how he could possibly be a werewolf? RyeoWook tilted his head questioningly, and his friend smiled, pointing to RyeoWook's hair, before pointing to his own hair.

RyeoWook looked up to his friend's hair, it looked nice, short, clean and tidy. His eyes sparkled and he nodded enthusiatically. How he envied RyeoWook, he'll never be able to live as happily as him. Although RyeoWook have his sad times, angry times, werewolf times, but he will always let everything go by the end of the day. When he wakes up to a brand new night, he'll just be as happy as ever.

He watched RyeoWook rush back into the cave before coming out again in less than a minute. RyeoWook shoved the letter that he have with him ever since he was born, into his pocket. It's definitely something very important to him, because he won't let anyone touch it, not even his very best friend. He do not know what it is, and he guessed that RyeoWook will probably never tell him. With RyeoWook's treasure safely back into his pocket, they set off together, away from the cave and towards the house.

In less than half an hour later, the two boys stood infront of the door of the girl's home. He pretended to knock on the door and motioned for RyeoWook to follow him. If RyeoWook is going to come with them into the city, he will need to teach him some basics first, even though he himeself have a lot to learn from the girl too. RyeoWook knocked on the door twice with the instructions from his friend and they waited for the girl to open the door for them.

The door creaked open to reveal the girl inside the house. She smiled happily when she saw them, showing her white teeth. Stepping aside, she allowed the guests in. After about an hour, RyeoWook had the exact same makeover completed from the girl. By now, RyeoWook had already discovered that the 'creature' in the mirrior, is just a reflection of himself. As the trio stood infront of the mirrior, the boy looked at the new him in amusement. 

There must be a part of RyeoWook that wants to leave the werewolf life behind.

They then had dinner together on a dining table, teaching RyeoWook how to sit on a chair, how to use a spoon, how to eat from a bowl. Although fridgity, they managed to stay on their chair before they finish their food. The boys played in the living room with the sofa and tiny television as the girl washed the dishes in the kitchen. RyeoWook fiddled around with the black screen that he had never seen before in his entire life. He didn't know what it was or how it works, but it did look interesting. And in time to come, he will find out that it is interesting.

As his friend study the television, he looked over to the girl's backview. His nanny used to be standing in that position, washing all their little face towels before wiping their faces with it, and washing their toys if it got stained by dirt. She was so good to the two siblings, he's closer to her than to his parents. She's there ever since he was born, and she watched them grow up into little kids, it's saddening though, that she can't watch them grow into young adults. 

He walked over to the girl and picked up a bowl. He then fiddled with the tap, trying to remember how to let the water out. The girl laughed and helped him push the tap open. Water came gushing out of the open tap and he quickly rinse the bowl under the tap. He noticed how the girl is wearing long sleves even when she's washing the dishes, he wondered why. Does she not feel warm in long sleves all the time?

He wanted to help the girl like how he always try to help his nanny, however he seemed to be more of a trouble than of help, by the end of the washing session, he broke a bowl, got food choke in the drain and got soap all around the basin. The girl still thanked him for his effort though, she smiled at him and gave him an apple, giving him a thumbs up. He was feeling special for getting an apple from the girl, until she passed RyeoWook an apple too.

RyeoWook happily took the apple from the girl's hand and began eating. He have been craving for some apples ever since the girl gave them the basket of fruits few days ago. Looking at RyeoWook stuff bites and bites of apple into his mouth, he began chewing on his apple too. The sweet juice filled his mouth and he saw the girl smiling as she watch them eat. He wondered why she like looking at other people eat, but he can't ask, he didn't know how.

When the two apples vanished, the girl went into the room and took two pieces of paper out. She passed them one each and a pencil. 

RyeoWook rolled the pencil around, trying to figure out what it was. The girl picked up the pencil and grab it with her hands, showing him how to hold it. After the demostration, RyeoWook tried to grab the pencil like the girl, but it was awkward and hard. Watching RyeoWook struggle with the pencil, he gulped, hoping that he could still hold a pencil properly. Suprisingly, his fingers automatically wrapped around the pencil, although it did felt a little weird, he got the correct way of holding a pencil.

As she patiently move RyeoWook's fingers to the correct position, he tried to write something on the paper. Circles and circles and more circles. Soon, the paper is filled up with circles of all sizes. Amazed, the girl smiled at him with wide eyes. She said something that he thought sounded like a compliment. He proudly showed RyeoWook his master piece and his friend tsked. Although the way he was holding the pen was still wrong, he drew circles and straight lines all over the paper too. 

The girl laughed at the two of them, causing them to laugh too. In the end, the two precious papers were framed up on the wall by the girl. The three of them stared at the papers in satisfaction and ended their night watching the television. RyeoWook was so excited to see the screen light up into images that move and gives off sound too. They made themselves comfortable on the small sofa and gave their undivided attention to the television show.

He didn't understand a single thing from the show, he doubt RyeoWook understood either, but both of them were happy. He looked at RyeoWook staring intensely at the television screen, totally absorbed into the drama happening in it, and the girl smile, laugh and cry along with the people in the show. It felt like home. Like real home, before his family got destroyed by the mysterious gun shots.

It would have been perfect if his sister was here, and it will soon happen he believe. 7 more days before the blue moon wish will come true, 7 more days before he leave the forest for good, with his sister and RyeoWook, maybe the girl too. They can never predict what will happen in the future, but he hoped that it will be as he planned. He turned his head back to the television just as the show ended. 

The girl turned off the television and stood up to stretch herself. The clock strucked 11, and she quickly prepared the beds for the two boys. Two soft mattresses lined up in the middle of the living room, with two pillows on top of each mattress. Last but not least, the blankets placed neatly on the bottom of the mattress. She bid them goodnight and went into the room, closing the door behind her.

She must be tired.

After doing so much in a few short hours, she must have been exhuasted. She must have forgotton that the boys don't sleep until sun rise. But they didn't want to disturb her rest time, so they just entertained themselves quietly in the living room. As RyeoWook fiddled around with the blankets and pillows, his friend stared out of the window, at the moon. Although the moon was now white in colour, he believed the blue moon was still somewhere there, or maybe behind.

He smiled,

Thank you for fufilling my wish.

He imgained how his father would praise him if he knew he said thank you. Or maybe scold him for being stupid, talking to a moon, leaving his fate to something else. His father had always told him that they should control their own fate and the paths they take in life. He had always thought his father had taken away his freedom and the choices he can make in life, therefore he had always wanted to quickly grow up, so that he can make his own decisions.

But this is not how he wanted things to be, he wanted to show his father that he can be successful being an artist, not a pianist or the successor of his company. Looking at himself now, he is nowhere near that dream, that drawing of circles was so much worser than what he had drew in the past. Even if he did succeed, who will he boast about it to? His father is no longer around, he'll never be able to make his father proud. He was such a failure.

Perhaps he should have wished something like having his family back together, healthy and alive. They don't have to be wealthy, they just have to be together. But it's too late to regret now, he can't turn back time. He cleared his head and turned to look at RyeoWook, who's biting the blanket, trying to tear it apart with his teeth, he should learn to appreciate whatever he have now and not be greedy.

He should appreciate that his wish for so long will come true in 7 days.