You Must Break Barriers To Build Trust

EXO's High School Love Affairs

Kyungsoo POV:
It was already 10:00PM when my phone ringed.
"Hello this is Kyungsoo." 
"H-hi.." A raspy voice came from the other line,
"I can't make it tonight.." 
"Why are you whispering?"
"I'm-" another voice came from the line, 
"JONGIN. WHERE ARE YOU? DAMN YOU. YOU AREN'T GOOD FOR ANYTHING. LET ME TEACH YOU A LESSON!" I heard sudden clanging and door slamming, the most disturbing part was Kai's scream. 
"NOO! APPA! DON'T! AHHH APPA!" 
It was blood curtailing. Like he was being impailed.  
"D.O, HANG UP THE P-APPA! HANG UP!" I quickly hung up, in pure shock. I was so scared.
I was scared for Kai. 
I was worried about Kai. I quickly sent out a text to my friends, asking if they had any of Kai's friends phone numbers. 
Chen turned up negative. As well as Xiumin and Suho. Chanyeol had Barkhyuns and Tao had Kris'. I dialed Baekhyun who didn't answer so I dialed Kris. My hands were sweating-my whole body was sweating and shaking! I was breathing quickly like I had just gone on a run. 
"Hello?"
"Kris. It's me, Kyungsoo. Do you now where Kai lives?"
"Sorry. Never been to his house." Kris hung up on me. Thanks a lo-
Ding! 
Luhan:
893-260-9946
Thank you Kris! I called Luhan next. 
"Hel-"
"Luhan! It's me. Do you know where Kai lives?" 
"Yeah I do b-"
"Tell me right away."
"I can't.. I can't explain it to you. I'm with my family so I can't help you out.. Here, hang up the phone." 
Ding! 
Oh Sehun:
839-264-7765 
I didn't care. I had to get to Kai. I called Sehun and held my breath. 
"Hello?"
"Sehun. It's me, Kyungsoo."
"What do you want."
"I know you hate me, but please meet me outside your house." I hung up, hoping he'd actually do what I asked. Grabbing my black sweatshirt, In my pajamas (yes I put on pants) and all, I ran to Sehun's house. He was standing by his fence.
"Sehun!"
"Okay what."
"I need your help. Where does Kai live?"
"Why would I help you." 
"Look! I know you hate me but I think he's in trouble." Sehun's attitude immediately changed. 
"Why what happened and why are you panting?"
"I ran here, and Kai and I were supposed to hang out but he called me about ten minutes ago. There was yelling then he told me to hang up the phone..."
"So you did?!" 
"Sehun you don't understand! HE WAS SCREAMING!" I completely lost it, I was so scared. 
"Sehun we have to help him... Please.. For Kai?"
"Okay let's go. I'll get my car..Put your hood up."
"Why?"
"Just do it! You'll understand later." We both pulled our hoods up, Sehun pulling mine lower to cover my eyes just enough so I could see. We got into the car and he pulled out, 
"Look. Don't tell anyone your name. Kai lives in an extremely dangerous place. Don't tell anyone, you're putting what's left of your safety at risk." I stayed silent. 
What kind of a place was it? 
Sehun drove for about 5 minutes. Then he parked on the side road. 
"We walk from here." We got out, and I followed Sehun down an alley. Trailing close behind, I understood what Sehun meant. The place was trashy and run down. Yelling seemed to be coming from every home- shack. A dark man, smaller than Sehun but bigger than me approached me. 
"Hey, never seen you around. I'll pay you 40$ an hour. What do you say?" Being scared, I grabbed onto Sehun's shirt- my natural reaction. Sehun turned to the man and darkened himself, he looked extremely intimidating.
"He's mine. I suggest you get lost." The man took no chance, he left in a hurry. His?
"S-sorry.." 
"It's fine. It's not your fault you're skinny and short. By the way, lying is accepted here." I understood immediately what he meant- I'm 'his' so the other guy couldn't have me. 
I guess that's true in a way.. I'd never give myself to that man anyways. 
Sehun and I continued to walk down the alley, when the shacks turned into small homes we walked up to the door of a small tan house. Sehun whispered to me, 
"Okay listen. If his dad answers, look inside for Kai. Look to the left, to the right is the kitchen. If his dad is drunk, I'll give you a sign, then keep your eyes lowered because if he sees you he might come looking for you. Don't look inside. I'll deal with it. But once I deal with it, you need to run your inside and fine Kai."
"How will I know when you've dealt with it?"
"Unless you're an idiot, I promise you will know." 
Hey he doesn't think I'm an idiot. Yet.
I felt so nervous and afraid. Nervous of what id see and nervous if my surroundings. Afraid of what I might see and afraid of my surroundings. It scared me. Sehun knocked.  The door whooshed open and I felt Sehun step in my foot. 
I assumed he was drunk so I lowered my eyes. 
"Is Jongin home?"
"Jongin? Ha! That son if a ?! Him? No way.. He got what he des-"
SMACK. I ran inside and looked for Kai, looking to the left first. His home reaked of soju and cigarette smoke. 
"Kai!!!!" I found him laying on the ground with a bloody nose and scrapes. I used all my strength to lift him into my back and carry him to the door. Sehun saw me and quickly took Kai with ease- because he's bigger. Looking back, I saw Kai's dad on the ground, in pain. 
'You deserved it. 
Kai didn't.' I thought to myself. Sehun carrying Kai and I ran towards the car. Sehun got in the drivers seat and I sat back with Kai, holding his head in my lap. 
"Are your parents home?" Sehun asked while quickly pulling away.
"No."
"Then we're going to your house." I said nothing in response and just watched Kai breath harshly and shake. I took off my sweatshirt and laid it on his chest while ripping part of my under Tshirt to soak up Kai's nose bleed. 
"Mmmm..." Kai moaned, feeling the pressure on his sore nose.
"Shh.. It's okay.. I'm sorry Kai. You'll be okay.." My eyes flickered up just into me to meet Sehun's eyes in the mirror. But I looked back down at Kai, too worried about him to care about Sehun. Sehun carried Kai inside and up to my room. 
"Kyungsoo my mom called me 3 times, I have to go home. I'll be back early in the morning. Thank you." He left me with Kai. I a dim light and looked at Kai wondering what I should do first. He looked miserable. Horrible actually. 
His clothes were wet and smelled like soju, I assumed a bottle may have been shattered upon his back. I grabbed a pair of my pajamas and gently sat Kai up. He looked at me but then looked back down at the floor in an ashamed way. He said nothing to me but he acknowledged me. I helped Kai take off his soaked shirt and his pants. I then went and got a warm wash rag and wiped Kai down. He winced and moaned,
"I'm sorry Kai, but I don't want you to get infected..." His whimpering quieted down a little, but I could still see the discomfort. I put on a dry shirt but looking down, 
"Kai..." I laid him down again, looking at his hipbone. I gently peeled away the top of his underwear and glared at a giant cut he had. The blood was all dried but there was just so much if it. 
"Kai I need to clean this up..." Kai said nothing, I only listened to his breathing. 
"Okay I'm sorry Kai.." I pressed a warm cloth to his wound, Kai started squirming. 
"Kai! Kai shhh.. Don't move! It will hurt more don't move.." Kai tried to calm down as I wiped up the blood around it, putting antibacterial spray and then a bandaid. Awkwardly changing his underwear (I closed my eyes) then putting on my pants, Kai was now dry and looked a little more comfortable. 
"Here. Take these." I gave him pain medication. 
"Do you need anything else?"
"I'm alright.. Thank you.." I just smiled at him. His face was more sad than in pain. 
"If you don't then I'll leave you to rest.."
"No, don't go." He looked like he was about to cry,
"Does something hurt?" I walked back over and sat on the bed. Kai shook his head like a child,
"Then what is it?" 
"I don't want to be alone.." A tear dripped down his face, rolling to the bottom of his chin waiting for him to wipe it. 
"Kai..?" 
"No. I'm fine.." He then wiped away his tears, in his emotions. 
"Do you want to talk?"
"There is nothing to talk about." 
"Okay.." I sighed and got off the bed, putting a few blankets on the floor by my bed and laying down. I was just glad Kai was okay, but it made me sad to see him in his emotions like that.. Maybe it was just because he didn't want to talk... Or maybe because he didn't want to talk to me. 
"Hey D.o?"
"Yeah?"
"What does a cake taste like?"
"Cake?" 
"Yeah." 
"Well.." I was slightly confused, but continued. At least he was talking to me.
"It's like sweet bread. But not like bean paste bread. It's even more sweet. If there is frosting, it's like pure sugar out into butter and spread over sweet bread. It makes people really happy. And they're really pretty sometimes.." 
"Are peach cakes real?"
"Yes." 
"Can you make one?" 
"I can try, would you like me to?"
"No.. I was just wondering.." It was silent again, almost midnight now. 
"Hey D.o.."
"Yeah?" 
"Am I wearing Pororo underwear?"
"Hahahha Yes..." 
"Haha.." He chuckled a little, but his bruises restricted it. 
"Sleep well Kai okay? Sehun will be here tomorrow morning to get you."
"Thanks D.o. Night." I fell asleep to the sound of him breathing. Softly and slow.

I crashed, not realizing how tired I was. When I woke up to the morning sunlight, I saw that Kai was still asleep. Closing the curtains to let him sleep, I quietly went into the bathroom and showered. When I got out, I got dressed in the bathroom and towel dried my hair. I could hear talking in the other room, I put my ear to the door to listen. 
"No it's fine... Yeah I'm okay.. I'll be fine.... No don't come... Yeah he took good care of me.. I don't know how long I'll sta- yes I know I can't go home... I know. I know. Okay. I'm fine. He just got out of the shower, I gotta go... Yeah okay bye." When I opened the door, Kai was putting down my cell phone. 
"Sorry, Sehun called. Is it okay if I stay here?"
"Yeah it's fine.. Hey I should change your bandaid, How do you feel?" 
"Great. I feel fine!" Kai suddenly energetic, sat up in bed but slowly winced and laid back down. 
"Oof.. But not that great yet.." 
"Haha okay, take it easy." I walked with a new bandaid. 
"So.. Should i just.." 
"Oh! Um yeah.. Hold on.." I looked the other way while Kai messed with his pajama pants when I turned back, he had them rolled down so I could are his hip but nothing further. 
"Okay." I peeled back the old bandaid and looked at the cut. 
"Wow.. It looks so much better." I covered it up with the new bandaid and let Kai pull his pants back over it. 
"You hungry?"
"Yessssss!"
"I'll get some food."
"No! I mean no, I can get up." 
"Kai.." 
"I'll be okay. I'm used to this, remmeber?" I sighed and watched Kai slowly get out of bed and stand up. He grabbed my arm and leaned on me,
"Good thing you're short." We smiled at each other and gently walked down the steps. I sat Kai down at the table and started fetching things. 
"What do you want?"
"Hmm.. Can you make a rolled egg with rice?"
"That simple? Come on.. I'll make that but I'll make you some nice soup. It'll be good for you." Kai only smiled, knowing he was about to get some good Kyungsoo mama cooking. I would always help my mom cook so naturally I learned her recipes. Once everything was cooked, I set it all out and poured it for Kai. We ate together, Kai praising me for good food. When we finished, we sat back and he looked at me,
"So.. why did you come to get me? I told you to hang up." 
"I was worried." 
"Why? You don't need to worry about me, I mean thank you, so much, but don't you think I'm a freak now or something?"
"You? Hah." I scoffed at his comment, "You? A freak? You're like the coolest guy in school. I'M a freak. I can't talk to people without getting nervous and, and I'm super smart-that's just weird and I'm super dull and boring, I have nothing interesting to talk about. I'm just not interesting.." 
"You? Dull and not interesting? Maybe from the outside, to you. But I don't think so. You have something no one else had.. I'm glad we met. I like it here, it feels like... Like.." 
"Home?" Kai shook his head, 
"Look, Your mom and dad probably come home from work and greet you. You probably visit your grandparents and go shopping for Christmas. You probably get things you want and have luxury of being free.. So home? No. Hell no. But it feels like.." Kai shrugged his shoulders, 
"Your home." 
"It is my home..."
"Exactly." 
"Huh?"
"Nothing.. But hey.. Really, Thank you for coming.."
"Don't thank me, thank Sehun.. He brought me there..you two seem close." I was a little jealous.. A lot actually. 
"Haha not really.. Actually, between you and me, he has a crush on Luhan. I found out and so We made a deal, he respects me, I don't tell Luhan. It's been that way for a few years now."
"He still hasn't told Luhan?"
"Luhan knows, but he's waiting for Sehun to man up and admit it." I mouthed 'oh' and stacked the dishes. I wondered though, what was his family like? What did he grow up with? 
"Kyungsoo!"
"Woah! What?" I looked at Kai, 
"Your probably wondering about me, judging by your serious face..."
"Oh no I-"
"My dad borrowed money from a loan shark. He drank all the time, waisting money I and my mom worked for. He couldn't repay the loan shark so first the man took my mom. I haven't seen her since, but I know she's okay. She sends me things once in a while, but their from japan. So whatever she's doing isn't near by.. But then it wasn't enough.." Kai scanned my face, searching for emotions. 
"He then sold me. I worked for the man for maybe 2 years, but then when I was about 15, I was drugged and he me. Since then I basically was every week. But I'm free now, I paid back the debt my father owed with my body.. But the hard part is keeping my father away from gambling and alcohol. I'm used I getting punched or slapped by him. I know he still cares about me, even though I have no care for him. I'm not like him.." Kai seemed to be calm telling me this, but his jaw started to tighten. 
"I wouldn't just leave someone behind. I have a heart. So yeah.. That's my story. What about you?"
"Uhh.. Me?"
"Yeah. What's your story? What's in your life?"
"Well.. I was born in seoul? Umm a boring kid until 4rth grade. I don't remember what happened but I woke up in the hospital and ever since I'm afraid of swimming. I guess I almost drowned. Umm I was beat up everyday of middle school. It stopped when I accidentally punched a kid,"
"Haha what?! You?" Kai laughed at me, with a 'no way' face. 
"It was an accident! But I wasn't beat up again. Well I mean sometimes Chen and I actually do get b-"
"Who beats you up." 
"Oh no it's nothing."
"Is it Jonghyun and them?"
"Yeah but it's fine.." 
"Hmph." Kai huffed and gestured for me to continue, 
"Umm. I don't know, Chen and I have been best friends forever. I love him to death, but he talks forever. Haha.. Umm, oh and Pororo, my parents used to call me Pororo because my eyes are so large.. Haha they don't anymore.. Once in a whole Chen will but not usually. He only does it when I'm really upset. But I don't usually get upset, or I keep it to myself.." 
"Well, Pororo, were friends. We can both let our emotions out with each other, that's what friends are for." 
"Haha okay.. Thanks Kai." Kai gave me a thumbs up and smiled. 
For as much as I felt bad for him, 
I was glad. 
He was able to tell me these things.. 

Tao POV: 
Yifan. We had loved one another
 We had laughed together.. And smiled.. We had one night together... But why are you like this to me? Why do you treat me like a stranger? Yifan, I am no stranger to you.
You were my boyfriend.