Chapter 9

Hearts and Brains

"Oi. You could have told me if you're gonna text all night. I wouldn't have let you chosen the movie." Jongin nudges Sehun's shoulder with his foot, and once he has Sehun's attention, he nods his head over at the tv screen, which is occupied by a close up of Colin Firth's face.

"Oh shut up, you need to learn how to be y like Mr. Darcy anyways. Although he was born with it, but that doesn't mean you can't work on it." Sehun reluctantly tosses his phone onto the coffee table and snuggles deeper into the blanket, feet poking out beside Jongin's head.
Jongin ignores Sehun's comment and rolls onto his side; he feels like he's sharing a couch with a real life Bridget Jones.

"Who were you texting by the way?"

"Mr. Darcy."
Jongin shoots a questioning stare across the sofa, complete with one raised eyebrow.

"Alright alright fine... It was Colin Firth."
Two raised eyebrows.

"Alright! That guy from the bubble tea shop."

"Lu Han was it?"

"Yeah but he says people just call him Luhan instead of Han. Whatever floats his goat." Sehun shrugs and takes a piece of popcorn (the sweet kind, because to quote Sehun, 'salty popcorn tastes like sweaty feet'. Not that Jongin knows if Sehun's tasted sweaty feet before; he probably has.)
Right then Sehun's phone rings.
Sehun and Jongin both fling their heads around to glare at the small device, before blinking dumbly at each other, waiting for something to happen.
It's Jongin who breaks the stalemate first.

"I think you have a bootycall, which I don't wanna know anything about. I'm outta here." Jongin hastily grabs his keys, wallet and phone and runs out of the door with Sehun's ringtone ('I like big butts and I cannot lie, yo' other brothas can't deny') fading away.
Well crap, Jongin stands at the entrance of their apartment building, not knowing where to go.
He only has two friends, but Sehun freaking lives with him and he has no idea where Tao's dorm is.
It would be weird to just call on Tao anyway; he hasn't made plans with Tao to visit him, and it's so not Jongin to appear on someone's doorstep without notice.
Can't go anywhere without a plan now can we?
Sometimes the best things happen when you don't make plans.
There's the little voice speaking to Jongin out of the blue again.
Miraculously Jongin listens to it, and starts walking aimlessly, letting his feet take him whenever they feel like taking him.
He walks on and on, until he hears a bike bell ringing behind him.
Han river park, Jongin muses.
He looks around, and he sees a few silkworm statues a couple of meters away from him; he's in Jamwon.
Suddenly all memories of Do Kyungsoo come flooding back into his mind like a tsunami.
His thick brows and lips and huge round eyes, his fluffy black hair, his rich-like-honey voice, his dark green and black plaid shirt and worn trainers, the way he leans ever so lightly against Jongin's shoulder; Jongin wants to see and feel it all over again.
What are the chances of you ever seeing him again though?
The world is a small place, Jongin.
A couple of kids whiz past on their bikes, and Jongin decides to stay away from the bike path and walk further in land.
There are couples all around, occupying the benches as piles of tangled limbs, each other's faces off.
Dang, should have never left home, Jongin turns away in disgust.
Until he sees one bench occupied by a single person; a single person wearing a dark plaid shirt and worn trainers.
No freaking way..., Jongin stops in his tracks, eyes wide at the person whose head is hanging low, sitting with a music player in his hands and one leg tucked under his bottom.

"Do Kyungsoo." He whispers louder than he intended to.
'Kyungsoo' doesn't move for a second, and disappointment and panic starts creeping onto Jongin's face.
But then he reaches one hand up and removes one earphone before meeting Jongin's eyes.

"Hello... Jongin."
That liquid gold voice, calling his name.
Jongin doesn't realize he's holding his breath until Kyungsoo puts his leg down and shifts over, leaving three quarters of the bench empty.
For Jongin.

"Wow. Nice to see you again." Jongin sits down next to Kyungsoo with a tingling sensation in his chest; the good kind of tingling, like sea waves washing up onto your feet.
He smiles a little and scratches the side of his neck.

"Yeah. Thanks for... you know."
Jongin catches Kyungsoo sneaking a glance at him while he wraps his earphones around his music player before putting it away.

"No problem. It's good to see that you're happier... compared to last time."
Don't act all friendly-friendly with someone you know nothing about.
Then maybe it's time to get to know him.

"Oh... um, yeah. I'm okay now. Thanks." Kyungsoo starts biting his top lip, his philtrum wriggling in the process.
Jongin can't help but think it's the cutest thing he's ever seen; he doesn't even realize he's staring, until he catches Kyungsoo's uneasy gaze.

"What are you doing here?"

"Uhm, I kinda voluntarily got kicked out of my apartment by my housemate... if that makes sense?"
Kyungsoo giggles at Jongin's odd reply and shakes his head.
That may have been the most adorable thing Jongin's ever seen.
He can't help smiling at the way Kyungsoo's lips form a perfect heart-shaped smile, the way his shoulders give a shy little shrug, the way his squishy looking cheeks rise, or that heart-lifting and silly sound he makes when he laughs.
Jongin just finds it incredibly cute, even though he's not sure looking at cute people or things is supposed to make you feel like your stomach is doing somersaults.
Or is it?

"Ha, yeah... Basically my housemate, his name is Sehun, was getting a phonecall from this guy he's been trying to get with. He would have made me leave the apartment anyways, but I volunteered to because honestly, I don't wanna know what's going on with him and his date."

"Oh, that's not nice..." Kyungsoo says quietly; he must have caught on Jongin's curious gaze though, because the next second he's talking and talking, and Jongin thought maybe Kyungsoo isn't as reserved as he seemed at first.

"I live in a single dorm, so I don't know what it's like living with a housemate. There are double rooms, but I ended up in a single one and it's not that bad, but it gets a little lonely sometimes. I'm not very good at making friends either, so... yeah." Kyungsoo starts fiddling with his fingers, pinching and pressing on his knuckles.
Jongin doesn't really understand why he seems a little distressed; all he knows is he needs to make him laugh like before.

"I envy you, you know. I've known Sehun for the past thirteen years, and I honestly have no idea why I agreed to rent an apartment with him. There are simply too many times I find ants swarming in our kitchen over a half eaten candy bar he left on the counter thanks to his short attention span, or clothes smelling like sweat and B.O. and excessive amounts of Febreeze because he's too lazy to wash his clothes and so he just sprays Febreeze to cover it all but of course it just makes the stench heavier and worse so it ends up smelling like someone rubbed sprigs of lavender in his sweaty armpits and worse, he is the sassiest guy I know so I have to deal with his sass every single morning when I wake him up. It ain't fun you know." By the time Jongin finishes, Kyungsoo is in fits of giggles, shoulders no longer hunched over and instead trembling from laughter.
Jongin loves it; his stomach is flipping crazier than an Olympic gymnast, and the tingling is so strong that he is finding it hard to breathe.
What the heck is this? What have you gotten yourself into? I don't know what all these things happening to you inside are!
Feeling. You're feeling, Jongin.

"Yeah, the worst thing is his dating habits though. He doesn't tend to use his brain when he is in lo-... actually when he thinks he is in love, and he just goes right into it. That's why when he gets in too deep people take advantage and hurt him. And I'm the one who has to pick up and sellotape the broken pieces of his heart back together." Jongin says thoughtfully and leans back a little against the back of the bench.
He still doesn't approve of Sehun's ways of listening to his heart and ignoring his brain (he's beginning to question if Sehun has one at all), but for the past week he's been following what that irrational little voice out of nowhere tells him to do; he feels hypocritical, yet he can't win against it.
Every time he thinks it's a one-off thing, but the next time he'll push back all reasoning and logic, and blindly let that voice lead him into the unknown.
When you're here I don't have any control over myself or my life anymore. I start feeling all these weird things and I start going to places I don't know. I'm even starting to talk to strangers!
Are you sure Do Kyungsoo is a stranger?

"That's why you're so good at it."

"Huh?" Jongin snaps out of his trance and gives Kyungsoo a wide-eyed stare.
Kyungsoo avoids his gaze though and starts focusing on his busy fingers instead, not answering right away.
But when he does. Jongin swears the butterflies inside his stomach are on drugs.

"Fixing broken hearts. You're good at that... You were fixing mine."

 

 

Author's Note:

My Kaisoo feeeeuuuuuls when I was writing this T_T