Chapter 18

Hearts and Brains

Duizhang is acting so weird.
Tao doesn't have a single clue why; he didn't dare ask either.
Lately the elder has been pretty... calm? (and nice)
Be it shopping, buying him food, accompanying him while he showers, even babysitting Cupcake now, Yifan doesn't put up a fight anymore no matter what Tao asks him to do.
He seems a little distant too, always seemingly deep in thought with his unfocused gaze; about what thought, is a mystery to Tao.
Tao figures it had something to do with that night when he hugged him out of the blue in the laundry room (how romantic, surrounded by dripping clothes, machines rumbling and the smell of laundry powder).
Maybe Tao pushed his limits a little when he moved forward to sit on Yifan's crossed legs and surrounded himself with the smell of, mmhmm that's right, sandalwood with a hint of vanilla.
You took your chances too far young man.
Well no, because when will I ever get the chance again?

"Cupcake-yah, are you hungry?"
Yifan's deeper-than-a-blackhole voice draws Tao back to reality, and he sees Yifan approaching little Cupcake with a bottle of milk.
Surprisingly, Cupcake, who doesn't usually allow strangers (plus Sehun) within a five meter radius of her, warmed up pretty quickly to Yifan; she didn't make a fuss when Yifan took her out of Jongdae's arms and they saw her parents off together at the door.
Tao watches with wonder as Yifan dips a small drop of milk on the back of his hand, then gently picks a very vocal Cupcake up from her cot and starts feeding her.
Cupcake drinks hungrily, her fingers curling around the bottle through her scratch mittens.
She has Minie hyung's appetite!
And Jongdae hyung's eyes.
When Yifan gege and I have kids they better have his eyes.
Aren't you getting *a little* ahead of yourself?
...... Nahhhh.

"Can I try?" Tao gestures at the bottle in Yifan's hands, and the blonde thinks for a while before nodding silently and letting Tao take over.
There's a warm and bubbly feeling in Tao's chest as he leans over to hold the bottle, fingers brushing past Yifan's; he's really close to Yifan right now, and if he turns his head slightly he could almost smell the sandalwood and-

"You're tilting it too much! She'll choke." Yifan yelps and wraps his hand around Tao's, pressing the bottle down.

"S-sorry." Tao whimpers, feeling Yifan glancing at him with an expression he cannot read, and then the blonde's voice lowers as loosens his fingers around Tao's.

"Look at the bottom corner of bottle... The milk should be level with it. If it goes over she'll choke. If it's too low she can in too much air." Yifan explains calmly, helping Tao adjust the bottle to the right level.

"O-okay, got it thanks."
I think your face is burning as badly as the fact that Duizhang is only holding your hand because you're too dumb to know how to feed a baby.
Shut up brain. It's your fault I'm stupid.
...... True dat.

"You're really good at this..." Tao is completely awestruck.
He'd never expect Yifan to be good at parenting; not that it's a bad thing, it just adds to Tao's list of reasons to love Yifan.

"Used to babysit my cousins for my aunt on weekends. Pays better than being a paperboy." Yifan gives a small shrug, then smiles gently at the sight of the greedy baby girl drinking quickly in his arms.

"You should come more often when Jongdae and Minie hyung have date nights... They'll be happy to know you're such a good babysitter." Tao smiles shyly.
He resists the urge to lean into Yifan's side, because damn, how hot does Daddy Yifan look? (And how good does he smell?)

"Nah, I'll leave the baby duties to you... You're Cupcake's future uncle after all."
What?
Future uncle... Uncle... 

Jonginie's husband?!

"I'm not marrying Jonginie!!" Tao blurts out, leaping up from the sofa and glaring at Yifan with huge round eyes.
It suddenly all came crashing down onto Tao; why Yifan left him alone after the games, why Yifan was so nice to him lately, why Yifan suddenly hugged him.
Because Yifan thinks you're Jonginie's boyfriend!
Because Yifan is a big poopyhead!
Oh, well. Close enough.

"You idiot!"

"I'm sorry..." Yifan calmly put the empty bottle down and stood up next to Tao, holding Cupcake over his shoulder and patting her back with a stoical face.
Tao lets out a bottomless sigh and gives Yifan a look of disapproval.
He isn't really mad (how can you get mad at a man burping baby?), but he just doesn't expect something like this from the transfer student.
I thoughts he was supposed to be clever, he does math.
Well, apparently not, lol.
At least he realizes what a dummy he's been now.

"I didn't realize you weren't that far into the relationship."
OH FOR 'S SAKE.

"No! Gege, Jongin and I-"

"Does he know you're not that serious about it?"

"What?? No, listen, we're just-"

"Maybe you should talk it out with him then, I'd say he's pretty serious about you, he's even brought you to meet the family and-"

"JONGIN AND I ARE NOT DATING!!!"

"BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRP."
Perfect timing.
Thanks, Cupcake.

 

 

Author's Note: 

 


Found this gem, lol.

Just to put it out there, Cupcake isn't actually called Cupcake, it's like Jongdae and Minseok's pet name for her until they (ehem or me really lol) think of a name for her. (You know, like Nugget, Pumpkin, Cookie, Sparky, names like that?)

And feel free to give me suggestions for pet names for Taoris future kid lol