Chapter 17

Hearts and Brains

"WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!"
Groan.
There goes Cupcake again.

Jongdae expresses his reluctance to feed his daughter by yanking the pillow from under his husband's head and pulling his over his head, complete with a powerful extend of his legs towards the love of his life's torso.
Yeah, he's being such a loving husband now; well, he ain't getting up for the fourth consecutive night while Minseok snores away.
By day he'll still be the kind, caring, motherly man Minseok has been swooning over for the past seven years.
But right now, sorry Minseokie, the unicorns back in lalaland are calling him back for a game of cheese and crackers.

"Hnnnghhhh..."
Jongdae hears Minseok grumbling in confusion from under the bed, and he makes his point even further by flopping over to Minseok's side of the bed.
There's a moment of silence, before Jongdae hears shuffling from under the bed, and then heavy footsteps louder than a cavetroll's leaving the room.

"Papa is here, Cupcake-yah..."
Jongdae smiles into his pillow at the sound of Minseok comforting Cupcake without complaining once; he's so glad he married Minseok.

 

To be honest, he hasn't always been 100% sure that Minseok is The One.
Minseok was a senior at Jongdae's university, and coincidentally the soccer team forward was roommates with the chorister of the chamber choir, who happened to be Jongdae's mentor.
Whenever Jongdae went to his hyung slash mentor slash friend's dorm for help with his composition, the short blonde would always be freshly showered and perched on the armchair, telling Jongdae not to mind him.
It's hard to ignore Minseok's beady eyes on him, but he was a senior; Jongdae's mentor didn't seem to mind him, so Jongdae pretended that the muscular man with a round baby face didn't exist.
Soon, he found Minseok waiting for him after choir practices, and Jongdae realized that the man was actually pursuing him; he greeted him each time and let him walk him back to their dorm building, but when he asked him out on a date after choir, Jongdae was beyond startled.

'Minseok-sshi, I appreciate your kindness, but I'm not sure if I feel that way about you!" Jongdae had said with a shakey voice and awfully red face.

"But Jongdae... Look, I-... well, I don't want to make you go on a date with me, but at least think about it, will you?"
Jongdae always thought of Minseok as a persistent and clingy person; so when Minseok actually gave him space, Jongdae didn't understand why there's a dull ache inside his chest.
Why was he hurting?
Jongdae wouldn't even call them friends, and yet there he is, watching the blonde walk away from him with a heavy chest and furrowed brows.
He was nothing short of surprise when Minseok turned around after a couple of steps, unwound his scarf from his neck and shrugged his jacket off, gently looping the scarf around Jongdae's neck and draping the jacket over his shoulders.

"There. It won't be good if you caught a cold. Gotta protect your voice, right?" Minseok gave a small bashful smile and walked hastily away from Jongdae.
Then it hit Jongdae like a train: Minseok cared.
He's not in this just for fun, he genuinely has feelings for him.
He cared enough to put Jongdae's feelings before his own and give him space, to give him basically anything that's keeping himself warm and walking away with shivering shoulders.
What the hell are you doing pushing away a man like that?

"Yah!" Jongdae called, and Minseok spun around with wide eyes, blinking blankly at him.

"... Dinner on Friday night. I'm busy next week."

 

It didn't take just one date for Jongdae to accept the blonde's advances, but he was glad he did in the end.
Jongdae wasn't even sure why he refused to accept Minseok at first; it might have been because his brother's social anxiety rubbed off him.
In the end, Minseok turned out to be the best thing that ever happened to Jongdae (before Cupcake, that is).

"Jagi-yah~ How is work? You didn't fall asleep did you?" Jongdae cuddles an unhappy Cupcake close to his chest while he slides his phone between his ear and shoulder, then continues to pucker his lips and click his tongue at his daughter.
Despite having beautiful eyes like Jongdae himself, Cupcake inherited those puffy cheeks from Minseok, which funny enough she puffs up when she's upset, just like Minseok does.

"No no, don't worry. I took a trip to FamilyMart before work and stocked up on red bull and canned coffee. How is our little Cupcake doing?"
Ever since Cupcake's arrival, Minseok calls home from work without fail every day to check on Cupcake.
Jongdae won't lie; Minseok performing his daddy duties makes Jongdae's insides all gooey and mushy.

"Cupcake is a little grumpy today. Aren't you, Little Cuppycake~?" Jongdae coos.
Cupcake whines, raising a little mitten-clad fist and rolling her bug eyes at her Appa in protest.

"Aww. Maybe she misses me, that's all."

"You wish, it's because she's sleepy but she refuses to go nap-nap."

"Well then, she's a stubborn lil one like you, aegi-yah."

"Oh stop it~"
Badump badump goes Jongdae's heart.
Jongdae giggles, and suddenly Cupcake isn't so grumpy anymore, and starts chuckling along with Jongdae.

"Looks like my baby girl is in a better mood now?"
Cupcake laughs again, then leans forward to rest her head against Jongdae's chest.
Jongdae's heart and mind is flooded with love and joy, and he gently places a kiss on Cupcake's head and nods with a wide grin.
He's so happy that he forgets that his husband can't see him through the phone.

"Anyways, since I plowed through the reports in the morning, my afternoon is relatively free so I'll be able to come home on time. How bout a little date hmm?"

"Oh, but Cupcake-"

"Relax, aegi-yah. Tao agreed to come babysit Cupcake with his roommate. You know, the basketball team captain on Saturday? They'll take care of Cupcake while we go out for dinner."
Oh, that guy.
Jongdae recalls his brother greeting the tall blonde at the games, but the man said few words and watched the game intently when he wasn't on, crossing his arms in front of his chest with his brows knitted together tightly, screaming directions at his teammates occasionally.
He'd never trust his precious little Cupcake with such a man; but since Tao's there, Jongdae figured it'd be alright.
Plus, he can always call back to check on Cupcake.

"Jagi-yah, if you wanna take me out on a date you better have flowers and a nice bottle of wine ready~"
If you want a piece of this , Jongdae smirks.

"Twenty one pink lilies and two bottles of that rosé you loved so much on your birthday. Dress up nicely, and I'll be home before you know it."
Jongdae has definitely married the right man.

 

 

Author's Note:

Sorry for the late update T_T

I was kinda busy, and I couldn't update.

Forgive me, those of you who read my story and are waiting so patiently for updates

Mianhaaaaaeeeeee