Chapter 8

Hearts and Brains

"Duizhang!"
Yifan sneaks a glance over at the benches as he jogs back to his place after scoring a two pointer; he sees Tao jumping up and down, cuddling Yifan's hoodie to his face.
He ignores the raven haired boy and continues with his practice game, even though Tao's soft voice is still ringing in his ears.
Ever since that night when he and Tao spoke for the first time, Tao has been following him everywhere like a puppy.
No, more like stalker.
Tao is always awake before him, waiting to go to college with Yifan even when he doesn't have morning lectures himself.
At exactly two in the afternoon he will receive a text from Tao asking if he's had lunch.
During his daily basketball practice, whether there are club activities or not, Tao will always be there before he goes home and he will walk home with the teen babbling beside him (as if he doesn't babble enough in his sleep already).
Tao can't cook to save his life but he's always circulating around the kitchen when Yifan's cooking.
Tao will always be beside him whether he is watching tv, gaming, online shopping, whatever.
He even tried for the basketball team (and got in) because Yifan's the captain, and even though the kid's a pretty decent player, the fact that he joined because of him is basically written on a huge flashing sign in front of Yifan's face.
Honestly, he doesn't mind so much the stalkerish behavior; he just thinks of Tao as company.
It's his damn aegyo that he can't stand.
Every time Tao calls him "Gege" or "Duizhang" with that sickly sweet voice, every time Tao tugs on his sleeve or paws at his elbow like a small animal, every time Tao leans into his side with that cheeky little smile, every time Tao holds his hand or links their arms like they've known each other forever.
They all make Yifan want to rip his hair out.
Every. Single. Time.
It's like he's compelled by Tao.
He feels this inexplicable need to do whatever the teen wants and make him happy; and drive himself crazy.

"Duizhang is so cool." Tao walks up to Yifan when the whistle goes off and hands him his water bottle, the black hoodie still pressed against the lower half of his face.
Yifan wordlessly takes the bottle from Tao and gulps down thirstily, ignoring Tao's twinkling eyes.

"Good work today Yifan! You too, newbie. Well done for recruiting the kid Yifan." The coach pats Yifan's shoulder and follows the last team members out of the court.

"Thanks coach! My name is Oh Zitao though! Oh Zitao!" Tao grins and yells happily at the coach.
Yifan feels something funny when Tao waves enthusiastically, even though their coach is already miles away.

"Duizhang! Let's go home."
Yifan stumbles and almost chokes as Tao latches himself onto his arm.
Why can't the kid just speak to me normally?, Yifan groans internally while maintaining a straight face on the outside.
He slings his bag over his shoulder and walks out of the court with a teenage boy bearhugging his bicep.

"Can we eat out today? I'm really hungry."

"No. It's too expensive."
Sometimes the small sliver of sanity left in Yifan tells himself he can't act like some kid's marionette and agree to everything he wants him to do.
But then said kid has one single move that K.O.s Yifan in record breaking time.
Tao stops walking immediately and releases Yifan's arm from his hold, giving him a temporary moment of relief before throwing him back into the black pit of mental struggles.

"Please? ...... Buing buing?"
ING DAMN IT.
Yifan feels like gagging himself as he watches Tao bring a curled fist up to his cheek, winks and says those words Yifan dread more than anything.

"Okay fine!" Yifan growls and covers his face; what is this awful feeling bubbling in his chest and the pit of his stomach?
With a dejectedly sigh, Yifan allows himself to be hauled along by his roommate and accepts his fate as a puppet.

 

"Dontcha wish your girlfriend was hot like me..." Yifan hums as he picks at his nails and eyes the clock across the room on Tao's bedside table.
Five minutes till beautiful skin, Yifan sighs happily and closes his eyes.
He is happy for two reasons:
1) His pearl whitening mask is about to come off and he can't wait to see his lovely and nourished skin.
2) Tao is in the bathroom, allowing him an hour of peace and quiet to himself.
If there's one thing Yifan takes more seriously than basketball, it's definitely taking care of his body.
A mask of some form, whether homemade or store bought is a must every night; his roots have to be dyed every six weeks to a nice Brilliant Blonde; his eyebrows are groomed to frame his face perfectly.
Gifted with 187cms of gorgeousness, it would be a waste if he didn't put effort into maintaining his appearance right?
Nothing, I repeat, nothing, shall get in the way of my beauty regime.

"GEGEEEEEEE!!!!!"
Or not.
Yifan rolls his eyes and holds onto his mask so it doesn't shift while he speaks.

"Whaaaaaat??" Yifan yells at the top of his voice, determined to stay on his bed until his mask comes off.
The bathroom door then flings open, and out runs Tao in a towel wrapped around his waist with suds in his hair.

"There's a g-ghost in the shower!!" Tao wails and dashes over to Yifan's bed, lips downturned and eyebrows furrowed.
Yifan takes a minute to give Tao a good hard look; yes, that is indeed a nineteen year old male standing before him.

"Zitao, ghosts aren't real."

"B-but I just saw one!! Can you come stay with me while I shower?"
Oh hell no, Yifan hitches his breath and shakes his head sideways as carefully as he can.

"No."

"Please gege, I'm s-scared!"
Yifan is about to lecture Tao again, when he sees the unnatural sheen in Tao's eyes and the way his bottom lip quivers.
He completely forgot about the other instakill weapon against him that Tao possesses: mothering tears.

"Alright alright!" Yifan rips the mask off his face and sits up in his bed, then stomps over to the bathroom with Tao ahead of him.
If I start getting pimples I swear I'm going to apply for a room change, Yifan thinks bitterly as he massages the serum into his face; somehow Tao's shower singing seems prickly to his ears today.

 

 

Author's Note:

Dat's right Zitao you show 'em who's the aegyomeister