Chapter 2

Hearts and Brains

"Colin Firth is so perfect."
Jongin averts his gaze from the tv and shoots a dirty glance across the sofa at Sehun.
They are lying across the sofa on different ends with a communal bowl of supermarket popcorn wedged between their hips and a fleece blanket over them.

"What the hell Sehun?" Jongin returns to the movie as soon as he realizes Sehun doesn't care that he's glaring at him like he's grown extra arms.
Of all the chick flicks and girly movies they possess in their collection, Sehun chose Pride and Prejudice today and Jongin did not know he had a thing for men like Colin Firth.

"What? He's the perfect Mr Darcy! He's tall dark and handsome and that is one y beard." Sehun shrugs as if he's making perfect sense to Jongin.

"I'm gonna pretend I didn't hear that." Jongin turns on his side and tugs at his end of the blanket.

"What wouldn't I do to his facial hair."

"Seriously? You have a thing for old men with stubble? And Colin Firth is like twice your age." Jongdae extends his leg and jabs Sehun's chest with his big toe.
He knows how much Sehun hates it.

"Hey anyone can be y in their forties...... Except for maybe you." Sehun grabs Jongin's foot and shoves it away, causing the popcorn to spill all over them and the sofa in the process.
There's a moment of silent realization as they both stare at the mess between them.
They bought sweet popcorn.
Meaning only one thing: ants.

"I'm not picking that up." Sehun gets up abruptly and flees from the room, leaving a sighing Jongin and the unfinished movie.
Just as Jongin's finished vacuuming the sofa for the third time for good measure, he hears the doorbell that probably started ringing in the past half an hour he's been vacuuming.

"Coming!" Jongin abandons the vacuum cleaner and is about to run to the door, but Sehun beats him to it and flings the door open.
There stands a shivering teenager, although Jongin doubts it's from the cold.

"I-I rang the doorbell... No one answered... I thought I had the wrong apartment..." The teen stutters with tears in his eyes, bottom lip jutting out and quivering.

"Geez, you should have called me earlier Tao! You're so dumb sometimes." Sehun may look irritated, but Jongin doesn't miss how he wraps his arm around his cousin's shoulders and guides him into the apartment.
Tao is Sehun's cousin, whom his uncle and aunt adopted from China when he was seven.
When Jongin first met Tao, he was staying over with the Oh's and Tao was there too, and in the middle of the night Tao asked Jongin to buy him morphine.
Thinking the boy was in pain, Jongin asked if he was hurt anywhere, but he simply told Jongin that he was hungry, and it took Jongin a while to realize Tao wanted a muffin.
That aside, Tao's Korean has improved a lot since, and Jongin is actually quite fond of the boy.

"So... How's your new housemate Tao?" Jongin asks while Sehun drags his towering cousin over to their dining table.
Jongin considers it a normal question to ask, seeing as Tao is going to college with the two of them and they haven't seen him since he moved into his new dorm.
So when Tao bursts into sad, sad tears, he is completely thrown off.

"What is wrong with you?" Sehun hisses at Jongin, narrowing his eyes at him as he pulls Tao into his arms.

"What? I was just checking on him!" Jongin holds his hands up in defense and lets Tao use the corner of his t-shirt as a tissue.
Despite being older than both his cousin and Jongin Tao cries easily, so Jongin is used to the tears.
But he doesn't expect Tao to cry when he asks him what he thinks is a pretty harmless question.

"You know anything can set off my pipsqueak of a cousin. Now now, it's okay Tao." Sehun continues to glare at Jongin while patting Tao's back and encouraging him to wipe his nose on Jongin's t-shirt.

"T-The guy I room with... He never speaks and death stares me all the time... He scares me so much that I can't sleep at night because I'm s-scared that he'll hurt me in my sleep..." Tao sobs and curls up into a ball on his chair, twiddling with the hem of Jongin's shirt between his fingers for security.

"Oh come on I'm sure he's not that scary, quit being such a drama queen."
Jongin eyes Sehun with amusement as Sehun rolls his eyes and places one hand on his hip.

"Says the person who swoons over Colin Firth's beard."

"Shut up, don't pretend you don't think it's y."
Yep, drama queen alright, Jongin smirks.

 

Tao ended up staying at Sehun's and Jongin's for the night.
Sehun shared his bed with his cousin like they always used to at sleepovers, and he was prepared for a relatively restless night.
First of all, not only is Tao afraid of the dark, so Sehun has to let his giant baby of a cousin curl up next to him with the lights on until he falls asleep, but he also sleep-babbles (in Korean might he add, Sehun doesn't even know why because he didn't know Korean for the first seven years of his life) and that keeps Sehun awake.
On top of that, Tao throws himself around in his sleep and spins 360 degrees in a circle, so by morning Sehun will most likely end up on the floor.
And indeed he does.

"Hey, wakey wakey."
Sehun grimaces when Jongin's voice distant voice brings him back from dreamland.
He's about to tell Jongin being all sickly sweet to him won't make him feel less like he's woken up from the wrong side of bed, but he doesn't.
Because Jongin isn't speaking to him.
Sehun opens his eyes to see Jongin bending down to meet Tao's eye level, with one hand laid between the nineteen year old's shoulder blades.

"Come on now, you need to go home, wash up and get ready for class."

"Jongin, he's nineteen, not two. Quit treating him like a fetus or something." Sehun grunts while he sits up from his position on the ground and cracks his back.
Another uncomfortable night thanks to Tao's terrible sleeping habits, Sehun thinks as his eyes wander over to his cousin, who needs help from Jongin getting up.

"I'm trying to be nice okay? You get out of bed too Oh Sehun, go brush your teeth. I can smell your morning breath from here." Jongin makes a disgusted face at Sehun, and gives Tao a pat on the back when their guest is finally upright and standing next to him.
Sehun doesn't retort and simply does as his best friend tells him to.
If Jongin says his morning breath stinks, nine out of ten times he isn't joking.
He can't help it if his salivary glands decide to shut down completely during his sleep, right?
At least he doesn't drool in his sleep, unlike Tao, who's soaked Sehun's pillow during his night slobber (another point to Tao for having the worst sleepover etiquette).
When Sehun comes out of the bathroom, Tao has already changed out of his borrowed pajamas and looking more awake, or as awake as he can be at half seven in the morning.
He is back in his black sweater and black skinny jeans, and his eyes are more alert and lively than they were five minutes ago.
Though his raven hair is still untamed, but who the hell is gonna see it at this early in the morning anyway.

"Bye Hun-ah, bye Jonginie." Tao gives a small wavering smile before disappearing quickly through the door.
Sehun is expecting a couple dozen of texts from his cousin that morning of how reluctant he is to return to his dorm and his apparently mutant roommate.
He's looking forward to it, really.
Nothing entertains him more than his giant fetus cousin being distressed.

 

 

Author's Note:

WOOHOO MAKNAE LINE <--- is the maknae too at home and at youth church

Hurray for Taozi's first appearance lol