Chapter 3

Hearts and Brains

Sebooty:
Yo. Change of plans. Can't come home with you anymore. 17:45

Uh... Why exactly? 17:46

Sebooty:
Craving bubble tea from that bubble tea shop we went to last week. 17:46

Sehun. That's like a half an hour drive from ours. 17:46

Sebooty:
Which is why I'm taking the car. 17:47
Love you! 17:47


Jongin packs up wordlessly and leaves the empty lecture hall alone.
He doesn't even bother having angry outbursts like he used to; he just accepts the fact that he is taking the bus home alone after forty minutes of waiting that turned out to be pointless.
Sehun's never one to follow plans and schedules, unlike Jongin.
He does whatever comes to his mind or feels like doing at the moment.
Everything's about spontaneity when it comes to Sehun.
It's not the first time Sehun's ditched Jongin at the last minute for some spur of the moment idea anyway.
It's times like these that Jongin realizes how different he and Sehun are.
Sehun's the kind of person who listens entirely to his heart and ignores what his brain (or Jongin) tells him.
Maybe that's why Sehun always gets himself into all kinds of trouble and tricky situations.
And maybe that's why he's always hurt.
Jongin himself is the complete opposite.
He always thinks everything through before acting and he sticks to his pre-made plans as much as he can.
Whenever Sehun got sent to the head teacher's or nurse's office, Jongin would always be waiting outside the doors, never inside with him.
He's never been in harm's way, thanks to his brain, no thanks to his heart.
He can't ever imagine being like Sehun.
It must get so tiring, doesn't it?
Heck, it's tiring enough simply living with Sehun.
Suddenly feeling fatigued, Jongin decides to shut himself out of the real world for a little while and puts his headphones on while he makes his way to the bus stop.
He doesn't play any music though.
It's a habit that stayed with him for a long time, and Jongin himself thinks it's pretty clever, if he may.
If he's wearing headphones, there's a smaller chance that people will speak to him and while pretending he is lost in his music, he's still aware of his surroundings.
Killing two birds with one stone, as the proverb says.

"What are you so uptight about? Jongin, you're 6 foot and ripped like a predator, you'd be a real bad choice for anyone looking for easy targets to mug." Jongin's older brother had driven past Jongin on his way home once, and when he offered him a ride he noticed Jongin's headphones.

Jongin wasn't known for listening to music for leisure.

"I need to know exactly what's going on around me without people pestering me. They make me let my guard down." Jongin replied truthfully when his brother questioned him.
He found no reason not to; he wouldn't call him close, but he was one of the very few people Jongin trusted.

"No wonder you only have two friends, you keep holding people at bay Jongin!"

"Less people, less hurt."

 

 

Sebooty sent an image. 18:42
Sebooty:

How did you know I was missing your face? 18:44
Before you say anything, no, I was kidding. 18:44
Who took the photo for you? 18:45

Sebooty:
Don't worry, I don't miss yours either. 18:46
Cute employee at the bubble tea shop. 18:46

Is he by any chance more than twice your age and sporting some kind of Abraham Lincoln beard? 18:47

Sebooty:
No, he's clean shaven. But you got the age part right. 18:47
Before you say anything, no, I wasn't kidding. 18:47
He's doing postgrad at our college. 18:47

That's... not as bad as Colin Firth. 18:48

Sebooty:
Good. Because I already asked for his number and scored a date with him next weekend. 18:48


Can't Sehun just use his damn brain for once?, Jongin shoves his phone back into his pocket with a frustrated grunt.
He'd bet all his money and his brother's Ford Fiesta that in two weeks he'll have to lend his shoulder to a wailing Sehun, literally.
Jongin remembers how in their last year of middle school, Sehun's sweetheart of two weeks left him.
For a girl.
The brunette boy was completely broken, and Jongin had stayed the night at the Oh's after punching his ex boyfriend's face in.

"This hunk of a muscle is reserved for me and only me, alright? Unless it's an emergency, such as puppies dying and only your trapezius can save them." Sehun sobbed unclearly as he poked at Jongin's shoulder with little energy, before collapsing on him completely with a loud snore.
Jongin smiles at the memory, ignoring the fact that he's on a street.
He reckons he'll let Sehun do anything he wants as usual, because he wouldn't mind using photos of Sehun drooling against his shoulder with his mouth open and eyes swollen as blackmail material.
The more, the better.
Jongin sees the bus stop in front of him, and he jogs the few remaining yards left towards it.
He reaches his hand up to pull his headphones down, but his hand freezes in mid-air the moment he sees that he has company.
There's a boy, man, Jongin doesn't know because he can't see his face, curled up on the seats, crying into his arms which are folded over his knees.
His weeping is so heart-wrenching that even though Jongin knows nothing about him, he can feel the rhythm of his own heartbeat messing up.
The longer he stares at the guy, the surer he is about his conclusion:
This counts as an emergency.

 

 

Author's Note:

I love Colin Firth too Thehun, don't worry.

Anyone recognize that photo? LOL