Chapter 20

Hearts and Brains

 

Kyungsoo seems pretty content with Jongin's choice of restaurant.
This was apparently Jongdae hyung and Minseok hyung's frequent date venue in their college years, and Jongin can see why; It's not exactly fancy, but the jazzy music, wooden interiors and greenery looks very welcoming indeed.
Something his mushy brother would love.
There aren't many people around for an early dinner either, and Jongin's very glad that Kyungsoo looks relaxed and comfortable for once, instead of on edge and fidgety.

"You must really love music to be a music major. It's not an easy course and it's hard to find jobs after graduation." Jongin asks after a sip of his Americano.
Goodness, he knows he sounds like such a geek right now, but he's really not used to making conversation, especially when his two friends are always either babbling or crying.

"Um, yeah..." Kyungsoo stares down at the mug of hot chocolate cupped between his hands, steam swirling up in front of his face.

"It's the only thing I do in my free time... I don't really have anything to do other than singing when I was growing up. It only makes sense that I continue to sing."
Jongin isn't stupid, he understood perfectly what Kyungsoo meant: he had no friends to play with, and singing became his only pastime.
That sounds ridiculously lonely; an awful lot like himself, when Sehun isn't around.

"What if you continued to sing, even with other things to do?" Jongin leans forward a little and offers a kind smile.
Kyungsoo looks up from his mug with his wide eyes (how can anyone's eyes be so big and round?) and stares blankly at Jongin, before breaking into a heart-shaped smile and bringing his mug up to his lips, hiding his face behind the white ceramic.

"So why physical chemistry?"

"Chemistry is the only subject I don't at. And organic chemistry and I don't get along well."
Kyungsoo laughs; Jongin realizes it's one of the most beautiful things about Do Kyungsoo.
His laughter is bright enough to light up the night skies.

"You should have been there when I did this experiment with crude oil cracking. I think I broke a total of 4 flasks and 2 tubes, and I burnt the ceiling of our lab with kerosene and a Bunsen burner. I basically created a flaming pillar of doom that shot right up to the concrete ceiling. So yeah, experience tells me to stay away from organic flammable substances and let the real chemists deal with it. Sehun and I get to play with color changing chemicals all day instead. He's in it for the fun, but I'm in it for my own safety."
Kyungsoo breaks into a fit of wheezy giggles and reaches a hand up to cover his face, eyes crinkling into half crescents.
Jongin starts feeling the tingling sensation he felt when he saw Kyungsoo at the park, but this time the tingles have spread throughout his body, from his chest all the way through to his fingertips and toes; his grin freezes across his face as he tries to calm his feelings inside.
Finally, when Kyungsoo calms down a little, the tingling fades away and Jongin lets out a relieved chuckle.

"I'm guessing you were one of those students who studies really hard and gets top grades in every single subject in school?"
To Jongin's surprise, Kyungsoo gives him a small embarrassed look and shakes his head slowly.

"... I was average. Except for music. I guess if I tried I would have been on the honor roll... But I didn't. I wasn't a good student."

"Well, what's the worst thing you've done?" Jongin asks casually, supporting his chin on his open palm.
He wasn't expecting Kyungsoo to tense up and avoid his gaze.
Must have been something really serious.

"You're not gonna like this..."
Great.
What are you waiting for, Mr Nosey ? Apologize!

"My potassium permanganate solution boiled over and shot out of my test tube... It was pointing directly at my friend Baekhyun's hair and he had purple hair for two months."
Oh.
OH.

"You're right, Kyungsoo, I don't like it." Jongin tries his best to hide the smirk that's threatening to show and leans forward;
An anxious expression appears on Kyungsoo's face as he freezes and watches Jongin move closer to him.

"I love it. I love color chemistry, Kyungsoo, and that's the most epic thing I've ever heard of. Dyeing someone's hair with potassium permanganate? I'm impressed."

 

"How am I doing for a first date?" Jongin asks, holding a folder in his hand as he walks Kyungsoo to his dorm from the bus stop because the dark haired man insisted in carrying the folders himself.
Jongin knows he's doing pretty well for someone new to dating, but he just wants to hear it from Kyungsoo himself.

"Really good."
Jongin is over the moon to see Kyungsoo so happy; even his steps are light and springy, despite holding two giant folders.
He suddenly feels a wild urge to hold Kyungsoo's hand.
Do it. Do it. Do it!
No! Are you mad? It's the first date and the third time you've seen him.
But we need to hold hands, now.
You're gonna screw everything up! You're doing so well up till now.
Jongin takes his brain's advice and convinces himself that it'd be best if he didn't reach for Kyungsoo's hand.
Kyungsoo's hands are full anyways.

"Ah, I can walk in myself. Don't worry, my dorm's in the first building there." Kyungsoo jumps a little and transfer the weight of his folders to one arm, then points out past the steel gates in front of them with his free hand.
Jongin sees that the security guard is eyeing him suspiciously inside his booth, and he feels self conscious all of a sudden.
He's sure the man is going to remember his face and jot Kyungsoo's name down for some reason.

"Alright." Jongin nods, deciding that it's safe for Kyungsoo to walk for twenty seconds alone in a guarded area.
Goodnight hug?

"Goodnight hug?" Jongin blurts out.
He doesn't realize until he sees the red tinge on Kyungsoo's face under the street lamp.
Heart, you need to stop this nonsense.
It's perfectly normal, stop being a prude now.

"S-sure..." Kyungsoo slowly steps forward to take his folder back from Jongin, then slides into the space where his folder was.
Jongin instinctively circles his arms tighter around Kyungsoo's back; he's hoping Kyungsoo won't be able to feel his racing heartbeat through the folders in front of his chest.
He's completely aware of how close Kyungsoo is and how warm his back is even though they're separated by his folders and his dark blue duffel coat.
Close, but not close enough...
Kyungsoo pulls away after a few seconds and smiles bashfully up at Jongin.

"Goodnight Jongin... Thanks for tonight."

"Goodnight. Text me later?"
Hold his hand, last chance.
No.

"Sure." Kyungsoo flashes Jongin one last smile and turns to leave.
As Jongin stands in place and watches Kyungsoo walk past the gates and towards his building, he finds himself frustrated and a small emptiness growing inside him, and he knows why.
He didn't get to hold Kyungsoo's hand.

 

 

Author's Note:

Now now Jongin, behave.

KYUNGSOO IS SO SQUISHY IN HIS NEW DRAMA

WAAAEEEEE HOW CAN ANYONE LOOK SO ADORABLE WHILE PEEKING OVER AT ANOTHER MAN'S URINAL