Chapter 6

Hearts and Brains

The ten minute wait for the bus was silent and nothing short of awkward.
Jongin and the man (whose name he still hasn't had the courage to ask) sat back down, and Jongin kept pondering over and over again if he should ask or not.
But by the time the bus came, he still hadn't made a decision.

"This is your bus?" Jongin asks this instead.
The small man nods, so Jongin follows him up the steps and into the back of the bus.
Jongin wonders if he minds being so close to him when he takes the seat next to the small man, but he doesn't react to it so Jongin figures it's okay.
He's about to tell the man that he doesn't usually take the bus, when he sees out of the corner of his eye that his head is bobbing slightly.
He is half way to dreamland; that's why he's not reacting.
It's hard not to feel tired when you've been crying for goodness knows how long, Jongin feels a small tightness in his chest despite the way the small man's eyes are completely shut and his head is almost touching the seat in front makes him want to smile.
He does anyway, and nudges the man with his shoulder, causing him to jump and sit upright.

"You don't look very comfortably there. If you want to sleep you can borrow my shoulder... Just tell me which one's your stop."
The small man widens his eyes at Jongin, as if they're not golfball sized already, and his face and the tips of his ears flush red immediately.

"O-okay... I get off at the Jamwon bus terminal..." The man says softly and looks down at his feet.

"Alright. I'll wake you up when we get there." Jongin smiles as warmly as he can at the man and scoots closer, close enough that he can lean on Jongin's shoulder without straining his neck.
The man doesn't move in right away; he nibbles on his top lip vigorously for about a minute, before laying his head on Jongin's broad shoulder slowly and shutting his eyes.
Jongin notices the way the man doesn't lean completely into him, like the way Sehun always does.
Their contact is light as a feather, and his cheek is barely touching Jongin's shoulder.
He doesn't trust you.
He doesn't want to burden you.

"Thanks..."

"Jongin. My name is Kim Jongin. And you're welcome."

"...... Do Kyungsoo."

 

"Where have you been?"
Jongin's foot isn't even half way into the doorway when he hears his best friend's emotionless voice.
Jongin hates it when Sehun does that; he simply continues his way in.
He sees Sehun sitting in the middle of the sofa with his arms and knees crossed, but Jongin doesn't answer.

"What did you do?"
Sehun's eyes follow him as he walks around the dining table and tosses his keys on the top.
He ignores Sehun's gaze and slips out of his backpack and leather jacket.

"Who were you with?"

"No one."

"Oh come on really? You think I'm buying that?" Sehun stands up and strides towards Jongin, arms still crossed in front of his chest.

"I went to a town 30 miles away, had two cups of bubble tea, flirted with the employee and drove back half the speed I normally would because rush hour , and I still have time to cook dinner while you're apparently in nowhere doing nothing with no one." Sehun raises an eyebrow and puts on hand on the table, blocking Jongin's way to his own room.

"Have you disappeared off the surface of the earth or something? Check your freaking phone, and you'll see that you have thirty seven missed calls and fifteen unread texts from me because you were abducted by aliens for an hour." Sehun then turns on his heels and makes his way over to the stoves.
It's only then Jongin notices the aroma in the air, the flashing 'keep warm' light on the rice cooker and the faint bubbling noise from the pot.
He turned his phone on silent and ignored his texts and calls, get home late, made Sehun angry and tried to lie to him; and there's Sehun cooking his favorite dinner waiting for him.
Jongin suddenly realizes what a jerk he's been, and he owes Sehun an apology and explanation at the very least.

"Sehun-ah, I'm sorry." Jongin walks up to Sehun and lays one hand on his shoulder, squeezing it a little.
Sehun shoots him an angry glare and turns off the stoves with more force than necessary, and Jongin feels even worse.

"I really am. Please?"

"Then tell me where the hell you've been and why you haven't been answering my calls and texts you ." Sehun stalks over to the sofa and sits back down, then nods his head at the spot next to him, demanding Jongin to sit with him.
Jongin sighs dejectedly and complies; he lets Sehun swing his legs over and use his thighs as a footrest.

"Well?"

"So I was at the bus stop..."

"Uh huh."

"And there's this guy crying in this fetal position on the seat."
Silence.
Jongin takes it as his cue to continue.

"He's just crying really badly so I sat down next to him and gave him my hankie. But he looked really sad and scared so I offered to take him home. And I did."

"That's why you're late?" Sehun leans forward a little and looks right into Jongin's eyes.
Jongin knows he's trying to tell if he's lying, and he's not.

"That's why I'm late and why I didn't answer your calls and texts, which by the way I'm really sorry about." Jongin says quietly and looks to his best friend anxiously.
Sehun doesn't speak for a while, then clicks his tongue and looks away, leaning back into the sofa.

"Name."

"Do Kyungsoo."

"Has a nice ring to it. Age."

"Didn't ask."

"Oh. Physical appearance?"

"Eh... Kinda short, skinny, fluffy black helmet hair, huge eyes, thick lips... Nice voice."

"Explain nice voice."

"... Like liquid gold."

"Mmhmm. You totally let him cry into your shoulder didn't you? I know you have a thing for baby animals and he sounds exactly like one. You're a hopeless cause, Kim Jongin."
This is why I told you that was a bad idea.

 

 

Author's Note:

Thorry for the late update people.

Here, have a 'I-ain't-taking-your-bullcrap-KimJongIn' Thehun: