41

Snowing in the summer

“Dr Park, are there really no cure to my sister’s illness like what she said?” As promised, JunSeo dragged SoAh to the hospital early in the morning. SeongJun had mentioned that he had applied leave and is going with them.

“I see she had finally told you huh. I was worried she wouldn't. do you know how much she wanted to just leave you guys without any words? Because she didn’t want to add on to the weight you and your brother are carrying." 

"this girl..."

She was told that there’s no cure in Korea currently only treatment, and only US has the cure to DAI. The possibility of her surviving would be higher to operate in the US, however, the risk is 70-30. She might still become vegetative state if its not successful but if she doesn’t undergo any surgery or treatment, the possibility of her surviving is almost 0. She knew it was not within your family financial ability. She deemed that she will be gone in another 1-month time because she decided on her own that she's not going for any treatment. I hope you can talk her into getting treatment.” Dr Park asked to talk to JunSeo privately, making SeongJun take care of his sister.

“Then can we send her to US for treatment as soon as possible?” JunSeo asked. His mind wasn’t operating well with all the information conveyed to him.

“The hospital can arrange for her if you have come to an agreement, however, due to the difficulty of this surgery, there is only limited number of hospital and surgeon who can do the surgery, thus it might be a Long wait. Therefore we need to start with the treatment immediately to slow down the growth of the tumor before it is too late to do so. But Knowing SoAh, she won’t want it because she knew that it’s going to cost a bomb, that’s why I would like you to talk to her. I had tried persuading her to go but she refused.”

“Alright, thank you Dr Park, I will talk to my sister, but can you please prepare all the paperwork first? Once she agrees, we will arrange it immediately, I don’t want to delay anymore.” Dr Park agreed, and he see JunSeo out before going off to tend to his other patient.

later that night, after making sure their sister went to bed, the two brothers discussed in the living room. They were very determined to let SoAh undergo treatment and complete the surgery no matter what it takes. 


“Mark, your mum arranged for us to try the wedding gown and your suit later at 3.30pm. Don’t be late! I will be waiting for you outside the gate” YooJin told Mark at the hallway. It wasn’t like Mark was very keen on marrying her, he had no choice but to obey his mom. he still loves SoAh but his anger overtook him every time he thought of her. He had no idea that SoAh was listening to their conversation all along. After school, SoAh asked BamBam for the favour of bringing her to the bridal shop that Mark was going. BamBam didn’t want to at first but SoAh pleaded him to. He found out the address from Mark and drove SoAh there.

BamBam could not understand why SoAh did that. SoAh was stuck onto the glass window of the shop as soon as they reached there. She bit her lips when she saw a lady coming out of the changing room with a luxurious gown, she caught Mark’s expression while looking at YooJin. He wasn’t exactly Awed at the sight in front of him but was bright enough to make SoAh relieve. She let out a relieved sigh and backed away from the glass panel. 

“Let’s go”

“Where?”

“Anywhere” BamBam then drove SoAh to Han river and stopped his car there. SoAh didn’t want to get out of his car and just sat in it quietly.

“SoAh, can I ask you a question?”

“About why I want to go there just now?” As if SoAh read his mind, he was taken aback but nodded his head nonetheless. “I just wanted to make sure he was happy. At least, that’s the last thing I want to remember. He in suit, with all smiles on his face. At least I can finally let go of him, completely because he’s happy with that YooJin girl” SoAh’s pearl like tears dropped on her thigh.

“Hyung doesn’t like that girl SoAh, he still loves you.”

BamBam saw the unexpected smile coming from SoAh. “No BamBam, I am genuinely happy for him. Even if he doesn’t like her that way, at least if they are always together, feelings will grow. Moreover, they are getting married. Eventually, they will fall in love with each other.”

“It’s not like you are going to see him the last time, why are you saying things like that? I am sure you will be able to get the surgery in time, when you get better, you will be able to get back with Hyung again. We need to stop this marriage so you won't regret in the future. I will help you, I am going to help you. You are going to be okay." It was time for him to pull out all the connections with people of the higher up to see if he has a chance to get SoAh into the surgery as soon as possible. However, he knew that it's not going to be easy, not unless she's willing to ask for help from Mark, who has a more powerful family background.

“You think he won’t hate me? You think he won’t hate me for lying to him? You think he will still love me after all these? It's not going to be a one day thing, it's gonna take months or even, years... or maybe..." she couldn't continue her sentence, "Can we just not talk about this. I just want to forget about everything that happened, I am just satisfied that he is going to be happy from now on" 

“I know he is not going to be happy, we all know. All these happened because of me. For both the relationship and your sickness. If it wasn’t for me, you would’ve been healthy, then you wouldn’t breakup with Mark. I am going to help you.” Silence filled the car, SoAh didn’t want to talk anymore, she just wants to reach home fast and take a nap. Her head was hurting. All she need right now, is a sleep to make her forget about Mark for a moment. 


The next day in school, Got 7 excluding Mark came to SoAh’s classroom during break. She look at them curiously before landing her gaze on JB, because she knew the leader would always answer her doubt without her saying out loud.

“We heard from BamBam, about your condition. And we finally know the real reason why you broke up with him.” SoAh gave an accusing look at BamBam which he returned her gaze without any hint of regret nor sorry. “Do you know how disappointed we are to hear from BamBam that you’ve kept it from us for weeks, and that you broke up with Mark because of that? Don’t you love him a lot? How could you give up your love because of this? Do you have no confidence in him?”

SoAh kept silent. Her once empty heart felt heavy all over again.

“Do you know that he’s getting married?” YoungJae paused for a moment before continuing, receiving no response, “I will take your silence as consent. And yet you are not going to do anything?” SoAh ignored him and continue reading her book, keeping herself busy. She wasn’t exactly angry at BamBam because she saw that coming. She knew sooner or later, he would confess to them, it was just a matter of time, and she was hoping that time would come only after she leaves.

“Min So Ah!” Jackson had enough, he grabbed the book on her hand and threw it across the room. They were lucky there’s no one in the room. SoAh frowned at Jackson, “GOD DAMN IT! I am so disappointed in you. I have never seen my best friend so dead before. Do you know how he behaved ever since you broke up with him? You think he won’t take care of you when you’re ill? I don’t know how serious is it that you have to break up with him, but I know that even if you can’t move, he will still be by your side. Even if he doesn’t, we will. I am sorry for what I have done alright, Can’t you just go back to him?”

“WHAT DO YOU KNOW!” SoAh stood up with so much force that her chair toppled backwards. “How many people said they care but when you have problems, they run as far away as possible. How would I know you and Got 7 won’t do that? All of you are the same. Everything is good now, why can't we just let it stay as it is? And Wang Jackson, I will never forget what you did, you are in no position to be frustrated with me right now.”  She grabbed her purse and headed to the infirmary because she was getting dizzy. She was glad none of them followed her.

“Are we doing the right thing by confronting her? What if she stops attending school tomorrow?” Yugyeom asked. Jackson was glad none of them had caught on about their conversation so he doesn’t have to explain to them although he felt guilty.

School ended fast and Min SoAh just woke up from the sick bed. She took her belongings from her class and headed home straight.

She had a lot on her mind. Her brothers are persuading her every single minutes to go for the treatment first and they will decide the rest as it goes. She knew if she were to accept that, her brothers would work extra shift, or even worse, find another job to pay for her hospital bills. She didn’t want that, she didn't want Them to work so hard on something that doesn't have a definite positive outcome. Since she had only left a month to live, she might as well just accept it, it wasn’t like there’s anything more to regret. Maybe that’s what god had planned for her. She was already a burden to the family, if she were to accept the treatment, she would only be a bigger burden. If she were to just leave, maybe her brothers won’t have to work so hard, they could chase their dreams, maybe they would be happier. That was what she thought, but it was not the truth to the Min Brothers.

They will never ever want their sister to leave. They had taken care of her for the past 19 years. They wouldn’t have if they thought of her as a burden. Family doesn’t leave anyone behind, they told her. So they expect her not to leave the two of them behind. They were very stressed not because they couldn’t afford the money for the treatment, but because their sister doesn’t want to even go for it. They were afraid she wouldn't be able to wait until the surgery. They were afraid their sister would really leave them.  

“Hey sis, do you want to go to the mart with me? I want to get some ice cream.” SeongJun asked. Ever since she had told them about her condition, they had been taking leave off from work simultaneously, either that, or they had taken an earlier shift so they can end work earlier to accompany SoAh. The topic about their talk was never about the treatment until before they sleep, they would always remind her to make the right decisions, for them, they said.