Twelve.

Back to Reality!

Kyungsoo and Kai sat awkwardly in the stiff chairs in the Head Master’s office. It was awkward and horrible and the look the Head Master was giving them was enough to make them shrink back in their chairs.

“I am absolutely disgusted” The Head Master said in a too calm voice, “This is an outrage. Two boys. Two boys, who should know better, being brought here for this, of all things! You, Do Kyungsoo, I expected better from. A lot better. You're an outstanding student, so I will give you the chance to tell me now” he paused and shot a filthy look at Kai, “Did this boy, Kim Jongin, I believe it is, force you into this?”

The two of them had been caught in the stairwell kissing rather heatedly and dragged straight to the Head Master’s office, where they had been lectured by the teacher that caught them at it before being left with just the Head Master.

Kyungsoo looked at Kai in shock at the angry man’s words. Did he really just try and pin it all on Kai? Turning back to the Head Master, Kyungsoo’s eyes narrowed slightly, “No. He did nothing like that. It was my choice to kiss him and I would do it again too!” he said.

The Head Master flushed with rage, “Are you telling me, that one of my best students, is,” he sighed in frustration, “Is gallivanting around with... with BOYS?! This is unacceptable! I will not have such inappropriate displays of affection going on in my school!”

“But it’s fine when it’s a girl and a boy?!” Kai yelled angrily.

The Head Master narrowed his eyes at the boy, “You bite your tongue, boy!” he hissed, “This is unnatural and I will not tolerate it!”

“Why? Because you can’t deal with the fact like he and I are together?” Kai shot back defiantly, “So what happens now? You’re going to what? Give us detention? Expel us? But if one of us were a girl we’d just get a slap on the wrist and sent back to class? It’s pathetic!”

The Head Master practically growled, “Kim Jongin, unless you wish for a more severe punishment, you will hold your tongue and stop raising your voice at me! This is my school and what I say goes!” he huffed, “Kyungsoo, I am honestly and completely baffled at you. You had your whole life ahead of you and now you’re letting it go to waste because of some unnatural teenage hormones? I cannot express just how disappointed I am with you”

“Are you saying because I’m gay that I’ve ruined my life?” Kyungsoo asked quietly, “Because it isn’t exactly a choice, sir.”

“Isn’t it?” came the reply, “You can just go after a girl like a normal boy and get over this... this madness”

“And if I don’t?”

“Than I’ll be forced to suspend you and contact your parents” The Head Master said simply, looking at the two of them from behind his desk.

Kyungsoo’s face drained of colour. Kai watched him carefully, not knowing what to say or do. He knew the elder was torn. If his parents found out, he didn’t know what would come of it, but then, if they didn’t...

“No...” Kyungsoo said quietly, and Kai’s heart sank. Did this mean Kyungsoo was breaking up with him.

“I’m glad to see you come to your senses” The Head Master nodded in approval.

Kyungsoo’s brows furrowed, “No” he repeated, “That’s not what I meant. I meant,” he took a deep breath, “You’re going to have to suspend me. Because there is no way on Earth, that I’m going to pretend to be someone I’m not. Tell my parents. Tell the whole world for all I care, because I love this boy and nothing, and I mean nothing, is going to stop me from doing so.”

“You’re really doing this?” The Head Master scoffed, “You’re really going to ruin your life for something that won’t last a year?!”

Kyungsoo’s eyes darkened, and Kai felt his heart pound in his chest.

“You know nothing” Kyungsoo said simply before getting to his feet, “Jongin, it’s clear we aren’t wanted. So we might as well leave” he said, grabbing Kai’s hand and making their way over to the door.

“Kyungsoo” the Head Master called after them.

The boys paused and turned back to look at the head of the school.

“Yes?”

The Head Master watched them for a moment, before saying, in a low voice, “One week. You’re both suspended for one week. Then, when you return, you will serve detention with Mr. Kim every night for a week. I will be contacting both of your parents as soon as you leave, to let them know of this situation. You will consider this a warning, because if I catch you again, I will find a reason to expel you from my school”

“Noted” Kyungsoo said darkly, before pulling Kai from the office by the hand and dragging him out of the school.

Once they were back on the street, Kai pulled Kyungsoo to a stop, “Soo?” he said tentatively, “Are you alright?” he asked.

Kyungsoo looked up at him, his face still too pale and his eyes wet, “No” he said, “I’m not even close to alright” his voice had dropped to a whisper.

Kai sighed, “Oh, ‘Soo” he whispered before pulling Kyungsoo into his arms, holding him in a tight embrace as the other cried into his chest.

“I just... You don’t get it. They’re going to kill me, Jongin” Kyungsoo cried, his voice coming out muffled due to his face being pressed against Kai’s chest, “They’re going to... to hate me”

Kai shook his head, “No, Kyungsoo, no. Don’t say that... They could never hate you! You’re their boy, they can’t hate you”

“Wanna bet?”

Kai, not knowing what to say, simply held Kyungsoo tighter in his arms.

For how long they stood there, neither of them knew, but they were pulled apart by the sound of Kyungsoo’s phone ringing.

Kyungsoo sighed and pulled out of Kai’s hold before answering.

Kai watched as Kyungsoo spoke into the phone, his face serious and pale. He nodded and answered in short, quick sentences before finally hanging up and slipping his phone into his pocket.

“I have to go” he told Kai.

Kai frowned, “Shall I come with you?”

“No!” Kyungsoo shook his head frantically, “No, Jongin, you can’t. I just... they want to talk to me...” he said, and Kai didn’t have to ask to know that Kyungsoo was talking about his parents, “I’ll call you” he said, kissing Kai quickly on the cheek before taking off running.

--

Suho chuckled as Kris and Chanyeol threw paper at one another. They had stayed after class to work on an extra credit presentation.

“Guys, come on” Suho rolled his eyes, “You’re meant to be working, not messing up my classroom”

Kris opened his mouth to say something, but the door opened and Lay ran in, “KRIS! CHANYEOL!” he yelled excitedly, “You will never guess what just happened!”

“What?” Kris asked, his eyes wide as Chanyeol fell of his chair in shock of Lay’s entrance.

Lay laughed, “Well, we bet Baekhyun that Chen could stuff more gummy bears in his mouth, so they had a battle, and well, Baek kind of overdid it and threw up all over Tao, and now Tao is crying, Sehun is laughing like a mad man and Baekhyun is in the nurses office with Chen, because Chen got the gummy bears stuck in his mouth because he put too many in and needs help getting them out!”

“Why do we always miss the good stuff?!” Chanyeol groaned, then added, “And is Baek okay?”

Lay waved him off, “Yeah, he’s fine, but I think Tao is going to kill him when he sees him next. He won’t stop crying and keeps asking for Kris, so... I thought I’d come get you”

“Why me?!” Kris asked, “I don’t want to go near Baek’s sick!”

Suho cleared his throat, making Lay and the other two turn to look at him, “Um... Guys...” he said.

“Oh, Sir...” Lay laughed, “Sorry, I just interrupted whatever the hell was happening here, but um, I need to steal Kris”

“I can go by myself” Kris groaned, getting to his feet, “You stay with Yeol. Save my work and log me out of the computer please, Xing”

Lay nodded, “Yeah, okay” he smiled, moving to sit in Kris’s vacated seat, “And text me and let me know what happens!”

“Yeah, I will!” Kris called back as he left the classroom, bag bouncing against his back.

Suho raised an eyebrow at Lay, who shot him a sheepish smile.

“Do I even want to know?” Suho asked.

Lay grinned, “Probably not” he admitted, “But, on a completely different subject, can you come help me out here, because Kris has god only knows what open and I have no idea what I’m saving and where I’m saving it...”

Suho rolled his eyes but walked over to Lay nonetheless.

Chanyeol rolled his eyes at Lay and laughed, not bothering to offer to help as he turned back to his own computer and began typing away.

Suho smiled slightly as he leant over Lay, his arms either side of the boy as he placed a hand on the mouse and went about saving Kris’s work.

“You might want to pay attention” Suho said, “In case you ever have to do this again. I mean it’s doubtful, but Kris is unpredictable”

Lay hummed, “I suppose I should, then. Since this is Kris we’re talking about” he agreed with an amused tone to his voice. He subtly leant back, his back pressing lightly against Suho’s chest, as the elder took his time about clicking and saving what needed to be and closing down what didn’t.

“I’ll need to talk to you after this, by the way, Yixing” Suho said as he pulled back, letting Yixing log out of the computer, “About how we don’t just burst into a room and start yelling about... whatever the hell you were yelling about”

Lay smiled, “About Baekhyun puking on Tao...”

“Yes, that...” Suho rolled his eyes, “In any case, I’ll need a word”

“Oh Sir,” Chanyeol said, looking up at the teacher, “You can’t be serious? I thought Lay was one of your favourites! Can’t you just let him off with a warning?”

Suho laughed, “I am letting him off with a warning, that’s why I’m going to talk to him. What did you think I was going to do?”

“I thought you were gonna give him detention” Chanyeol laughed in admittance.

Suho smiled at Chanyeol, a glint in his eye, “I wouldn’t dream of it” he said, then made to walk back to his desk. He paused about half way there and looked back over his shoulder, “And Chanyeol” he added.

“Yeah?”

Suho grinned, “I don’t have favourites”

“Sure you don’t, Sir” Chanyeol grinned back, before turning around and getting on with his work.

Lay smiled to himself as he leant over and rested his chin on Chanyeol’s shoulder, watching the younger boy work. Chanyeol had a tendency to mutter under his breath when he wasn’t happy with something he’d done, or tut, or sigh. Then, when he was happy with his work, he would grin and whisper a quick ‘yes’ under his breath, making Lay laugh.

It wasn’t too long before Chanyeol finished up, saved his work and logged off the computer. He and Lay got to their feet and walked to the door before stopping.

“D’you want me to wait for you?” Chanyeol asked.

Lay shook his head, “Nah, go on ahead. If I’m not there in ten, I’ll just meet you guys at Kris’s, yeah?”

“Okay, see you later” Chanyeol smiled, “Bye Sir!”

“Bye” Suho said, getting up and starting to shut down the computers as Chanyeol walked away. Lay shut the door behind Chanyeol and turned back to Suho, who was still walking around the room and shutting down the computers routinely.

“So,” Lay said, “You wanted to talk to me?”

Suho looked up for a moment, his face looking rather serious, taking Lay aback, “Yes” he said with a soft sigh, “And you’re not going to like what I have to say”

“Oh?” Lay asked, moving over to Suho’s desk and sitting down on it, his legs swinging slightly to and fro.

Suho turned off the last computer and came to stand in front of Lay, “It’s about your friends. Kyungsoo and Jongin.” He said, “They’ve been suspended”

“What?!” Lay gasped, “Why?!”

Suho sighed, “They were caught kissing in the stairwell by one of the stricter members of staff” he told Lay, “I only know because they have to do detention with me for a week when they’re back at school”

“But... But so what if they were kissing?!” Lay shot back, “I know plenty of people that have done way worse and got off with a slap on the wrist!”

“I know” Suho said, running a hand over his face, “But, according to the Head Master, it was ‘Unorthodox for two boys to be kissing’ so they got suspended for a week.”

Lay groaned, “I’ve been wondering where they’ve been all day” he said, “But this... This is ed up. So what if they’re both boys! Surely this shouldn’t be allowed? It’s discrimination”

“I questioned him. I really did, but he told me it’s not my place to interfere with such matters” Suho scoffed, “Said that I’d be supervising their detentions and that was that”

“This is stupid” Lay sighed.

“He’s called both their parents too”

Lay looked up at Suho wide-eyed, “No” he said, “He... He told Kyungsoo’s parents?”

“And Jongin’s.”

“It’s not Jongin I’m worried about. His parents know already, and they love Soo. It’s Kyungsoo’s parents that don’t know” he said, “This is bad... This is really bad.” He jumped down off the desk, “Look, I’ve got to go. I’ll call you later” he said, quickly pecking Suho on the cheek before making a mad dash out of the classroom to catch up with the others.

Suho sighed and moved back around his desk to pack up his things and leave. It was going to be a long couple of weeks.

--

Lay managed to catch up with the others just as they were exiting the school gates.

“GUYS!” he called out after them, making them stop and turn back to look at him.

By the time he reached them, he was out of breath and little sweaty. He clung onto Xiumin’s shoulder for support as Chen rubbed his back.

“What’s wrong?” Luhan asked, taking a step forward to make sure his friend was okay.

Lay looked up, finally managing to catch his breath, “Kai and Kyungsoo have been suspended” he said.

The others looked at him in shock, noting that their two friends were, indeed, not there. They listened carefully as Lay told them the story that Suho had told him, though he altered how they’d gotten onto the subject slightly, saying that he’d badgered the teacher into telling him, which the others accepted without question, knowing that Lay could be persistent when he wanted to be. By the time he’d finished talking, the others were wide-eyed and shocked.

“They can’t do that, surely!” Sehun cried out in outrage.

Kris looked angry as he hissed, “This is ing sick. Just because they’re both lads”

“I know” Said Lay, “That’s what I said, but there’s not much we can do about it.”

“I’ve just texted Soo” Baekhyun said softly, “He said Kai’ll meet us as Kris’s. Kyungsoo’s not allowed out. His mum grounded him”

Xiumin gasped, “What?!”

“She’s... kind of strict, so to speak” Baekhyun said, his face void of emotion, “This isn’t good though. I’m going over to Kyungsoo’s place. I know how to sneak in, so I’ll see you tomorrow”

Chanyeol frowned, “Are you sure?” he asked.

“Yeah” Baekhyun nodded, “I can’t leave him alone right now. He’s going to need some comfort and Kai obviously won’t be allowed anywhere near him for the time being”

“Be careful” Chanyeol said, resting his forehead against Baekhyun’s.

Baekhyun smiled and pressed a soft kiss to Chanyeol’s lips, “I always am” he said before pulling away and taking off in the direction that lead to Kyungsoo’s house, whilst the others walked quickly to Kris’s to meet Kai.

It took them about twenty minutes to get there, since they were practically running, but Kai was already there by the time they arrived, sitting on Kris’s door step.

Kris walked over and pulled him to his feet before pulling Kai into a hug. The younger boy was clearly holding back tears, but tried his best not to let them out as he buried his face in Kris’s neck as the older boy held onto him tightly.

Tao took Kris’s front door key from the boy’s pocket and unlocked it. Kris swept Kai up into his arms and carried him up to his room, whilst the others followed, though Tao stopped to lock the door again before he followed up after them.

Kris set Kai down on his bed and sat next to him.

“You wanna tell us what happened?” Xiumin asked in a soft voice as Sehun let go of Luhan’s hand and went to sit next to Kai on the bed, wrapping his best friend in his arms and rubbing his arm soothingly.

Kai sighed, “It’s... It’s stupid” he said, before telling them everything that had happened from the minute they were caught in the stairwell to when Kyungsoo got the phone call and ran off.

The others listened quietly as Kai spoke. Not interrupting even when Kai had to pause every now and then to stop himself from crying.

Once he’d finished the others remained silent, until Chen spoke up;

“Have you heard anything from Kyungsoo?” he asked.

Kai nodded, “A couple texts, but he has to be careful because his mum’s keeping an eye on him”

“Baekhyun’s gone over there...” Chanyeol said nervously.

Kai shook his head, “It’s fine. Kyungsoo and Baekhyun know how to handle themselves. Baek’s been there enough to know where to hide if Soo’s mum walks in” he said.

“At least you’ve got Mr. Kim for detention when you go back” Xiumin said softly, “He’ll be nice about it all. Xing told us that Mr Kim doesn’t agree with what’s happened to you and Kyungsoo”

Kai smiled a small smile, “Yeah, that’s true” he said, “But still... I’ve never seen Kyungsoo look so upset”

“It’s going to be alright, Jongin” Sehun said softly, “We’ll make sure of it. I promise we’ll make this all okay again. Even if we have to go kidnap Soo”

Kai cracked a smile at his best friend, “Thanks, Hunnie” he said.

--

Chen frowned. He and Lay were sat on the sofa in his living room. The TV was on and playing Harry Potter and The Order of the Phoenix.

“You know, this film makes me angry” Chen said after a while.

Lay glanced at him, “Why?” he asked.

“Well,” Chen said, “It’s good, don’t get me wrong, but I’m angry about them missing out so much of Neville’s story line. I mean, it would have been so much better if they’d have added in the part at St. Mungo’s, where we see his mum and dad, you know? I mean, Neville is so important to the story line, but the films don’t really show that as much, and it annoys me... I’d have happily sat here and watched a four hour film if it meant them getting it all in. The same with Sirius’s... His d-death” he shuddered, “I mean, it was so much more heartfelt in the books. But then again, I think the look on Remus’s face as he’s holding back Harry in the film is enough to make anyone’s heart break...”

Lay nodded, “I agree” he said, “I mean, everyone is so focused on Harry losing Sirius, they forget that Remus has known him since they were eleven and the long history they have. You know, like Sirius finding out he was a werewolf and still loving him all the same, then becoming an amimagus for him. Then he lost him for twelve years, finally got him back and lost him again two years later in the worst way possible, and yet nobody really focuses on it, they just see Harry’s pain, which as bad as it sounds, I think doesn’t measure up to Remus’s. I mean, I get Harry has latched on to him because Sirius is the only family he has left in a sense, what with being his godfather and all, but Remus has been through so much with Sirius by his side, that it makes it so very much worse, you know”

“THANK YOU!” Chen let out, “Finally, someone gets it! I have this theory too...”

“And that is?”

Chen smiled softly as he looked at the TV. Harry was hugging Sirius as Remus stood in the doorway with a fond smile on his face as he watched the two of them. they really did look like an oddball family of sorts. “I think that Remus and Sirius were in love” Chen said, “I mean, okay, I’m certain Remus loved Tonks, but you can still have loved someone else. So I think that there was something between him and Sirius before Siri went to Azkaban. I mean, in Prisoner of Azkaban, Remus stares at Sirius for like... fifty-two lines, or so... Why would you do that unless you loved someone so wholly? I don’t know, anyways, it’s just what I think...”

Lay smiled at Chen, “I like that. Headcanon accepted” he chuckled, “I bet there are a load of people that ship it though”

“Oh there is...”

“How do you know..?”

Chen smiled sheepishly, “I, um, read stuff... online... about it...”

“You mean fanfiction?” Lay asked in amusement.

Chen laughed, “Okay, yes. Fine, I do. What of it?”

“Nothing” Lay laughed, “Honestly, I read a lot of Drarry fanfiction... But Sehun is to blame for that!” he said, “He got me addicted!”

“Sehun? Really? I would have never pegged him for that kind of guy. But you know, don’t you think he’d be kind of great at playing Malfoy?”

“I thought that too! When I first met him, I was like... dude, this kid could play Draco so well. Ahaa, you could be Harry!”

Chen rolled his eyes, “Why does everyone say that?”

“It’s the glasses” Lay said.

Chen groaned, “But I hardly wear them now! I got bloody contacts!”

“You’re wearing them now...” Lay pointed out.

“Yeah” Chen said, “Because you don’t tease me about them and call me ‘Chenry Potter’ when I do”

Lay laughed, “That’s true” he said, before they both turned back to the film.

They watched in silence, neither of them wanted to say anything since they were way into the film. When Sirius’s death rolled around, both Chen and Lay cried – though neither of them pointed it out to the other, since they had a rule about such things – pretty badly, and held onto one another.

When Voldemort happened to be possessing Harry, there was a part where he flashed up on the screen and said “TAH!” which had the boys in a fit of giggles, making them rewind it and watch it at least five times before moving on with the rest of the film.

“You know” Chen whispered, his eyes still glued to the TV, “I have a love-hate relationship with Bellatrix”

“Mm” Lay hummed in acknowledgement.

“Because I love her as a character, she’s brilliant, and I hate her because Sirius is my baby and she... Did the unthinkable!” Chen sighed, “Why, oh why, must I endure such a cruel fate”

Lay laughed at this, “You know this isn’t happening to you, right? This isn’t Kim Jongdae and the Order of the Phoenix.”

“I know that” Chen rolled his eyes, “But how cool would that be?”

Lay raised a brow, “You know Harry has some next level life, right?” he pointed out, “Would you really want that?”

“Fair point” Chen said, “You wanna watch A Very Potter Musical after this?”

Lay grinned, “Do you even have to ask?”

Once the movie ended, they turned off the TV and pulled out Chen’s laptop, setting it down, half on Chen’s thigh, half on Lay’s, whilst Chen loaded the Musical.

They grinned at each other as it started.

“I will never get over how much I love this” Lay said.

Chen laughed, “Is it because we’re going back to Hogwarts?” he asked, trying to keep a straight face.

“Back to witches and wizards, and magical beasts...” Lay nodded, he too, was trying to keep a straight face, but in the end they both burst into laughter.

“Oh my god!” Chen laughed, “It’s Quirrel and Voldey! I love these two!”

They continued to watch, both of them laughing and singing along to the three hour spectacle. Once it was over though, Lay pushed the laptop onto Chen’s lap and stood up.

He stretched out, having cramped up from sitting so long, flashing his stomach as he did.

“You have to go already?” Chen asked.

Lay nodded, “I have to get home. My mum said she’s got something for me”

“Oo, did she say what?” Chen asked.

“Nope, but she said I’ll love it, so...” Lay paused, “Hey, why don’t you just come and sleep over mine. My mum won’t mind”

Chen grinned, “Yeah alright, let me just tell my dad and grab my stuff”

Lay nodded.

He waited in the hall whilst Chen went about letting his dad know and grabbing his toothbrush, pyjamas, school clothes and clean underwhere and shoved them in a bag. He met Lay by the front door and grinned, “Shall we?” he said, holding out his arm.

“We shall” Lay laughed, linking his arm with Chen’s as they walked out the door and down the road, setting off for Lay’s house.

They were about half way there when Lay spoke again;

 “Fair warning,” he said, “I will be on the phone later for a while.”

“To Junmyeon?” Chen asked.

Lay nodded, “Yes, but please stick to the code name. I don’t want someone to overhear us” he said.

“Sorry” Chen smiled, “Suho”

“That’s better” Lay laughed.

Before long, they reached Lay’s house and made their way inside. Lay’s mum was waiting in the living room, she looked up when she heard them come in and smiled. Lay’s dad was there too, sitting in the armchair reading the news paper.

“Oh, Jongdae” Lay’s mum smiled, “Are you staying the night?”

Chen nodded, “Yes ma’am, if that’s alright with you”

Lay’s mum chuckled, “How many times do I have to tell you to call me Mama?” she tutted playfully, “Anyways, come sit!”

The boys grinned at each other and walked over to the sofa, sitting down beside one another as Lay’s mum pulled something out from beside the sofa.

Lay gasped, he knew what it was the moment he saw it. But there was no way.

His mum handed him the guitar case with a smile. She watched as Lay took it and flicked open the clasps to find a brand new guitar in it. It was the one he’d been eyeing for a long, long time.

“Mum...” he said in a quiet voice before looking up at her in surprise, “You... You shouldn’t have... we can’t afford this!”

His mum shook her head softly, “My baby deserves it” she said, “You’ve been doing so well lately, you’ve been so much happier and free spirited. You don’t cry anymore, you’re doing better in school and you’ve just been so much... lighter” she said, “But more than that, you deserve this for being you. My wonderful boy. Your Baba and I have been saving up to surprise you” she smiled widely, “Do you like it?”

“Like it?” Lay laughed in amazement, “Mama, I love it!” he said, placing the guitar and case on the coffee table before launching at his mum and pulling her into a tight hug, “Thank you so much!” he said, giving her a kiss on the cheek before hugging her again.

His mum laughed and kissed him back on the forehead, “You’re welcome, darling”

Lay grinned and moved to his dad, taking the paper out of his hands and putting it on the side table before hugging his dad tightly, making the old man laugh as he hugged his son back.

“Thank you, Baba!” Lay grinned, pulling back from his dad.

His dad laughed again, shaking his head in amusement, “My boy deserves it!” he said, “You’ve done nothing but made us proud since the day you were born”

Lay smiled, his dimples showing as he did, “I love you both! Really, thank you! I can’t tell you how grateful I am!”

Lay’s dad grinned, his eyes crinkling as he did, “You’re welcome” he said, “Now, you and Jongdae run off to your room so you can try it out” he said, “I’m expecting you to play me a song soon! And an original!”

“Of course!” Lay nodded enthusiastically, closing the case and picking it up, “I’ll get right on it” he said, before grabbing Chen’s hand and pulling him upstairs to his room.

When they got into Lay’s room, Lay let out a squeal of delight.

“Can you believe this?!” he asked Chen, his eyes sparkling with glee.

Chen laughed at his best friend and sat down on the bed, “Play me something” he said.

“Okay” Lay nodded. He sat down beside Chen and pulled out his new guitar. He spent a while tuning it before plucking the strings and nodded in satisfaction at the sound, “You have to sing along though” he said.

“What if I don’t know the song?” Chen asked.

Lay grinned, “You’ll know it” he said simply.

Chen nodded as Lay began to play. He instantly recognised the song and smiled. Lay looked at him, then nodded to tell him when to start singing.

“Day after day I’m all confused. Yet I look for the light through the pouring rain! You know that’s a game that I hate to lose, and I’m feelin’ the strain. Ain’t it shame! Oh gimme the beat, boys, and free my soul. I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away. Oh, gimme the beat boys and free my soul. I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away!”

Chen grinned at Lay, as the other boy began to join in with the song, singing along with the same amount of enthusiasm as Chen.

 “Beginning to think that I’m wastin’ time. I don’t understand the things I do! The world outside looks so unkind, and I’m counting on you, to carry me through! Oh gimme the beat, boys, and free my soul. I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away. Oh, gimme the beat boys and free my soul. I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away!”

They two looked at each other, both wearing matching smiles as they sang the soft rock song, by Dobie Gray.

 “And when my mind is free, you know a melody can move me. And when I’m feelin’ blue, the guitar’s comin’ through to soothe me! Thanks for the joy that you’ve given me. I want you to know I believe in your song! And rhythm and rhyme and harmony, you’ve helped me along, makin’ me strong!”

Chen pointed at the guitar, making Lay laugh and falter in his singing for a moment before he picked it back up and sang along to the chorus with Chen.

 “Oh gimme the beat, boys, and free my soul. I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away. Give me the beat boys and free my soul. I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away!”

They got louder as the song began to draw to an end.

 “Oh gimme the beat, boys, and free my soul. I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away. Hey, gimme the beat boys and free my soul. I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away! Na na, na, won’t you take me? Oh, take me!”

The two of them laughed as Lay played the final notes before setting down his guitar and grinning.

“That,” Lay said, letting out a breath of air, “Was awesome!”

Chen nodded, “Hell yeah it was” he said, “I’m so freaking jealous of your talent. Like seriously, what can’t you do? You can sing, play guitar and piano, dance, you look like a freaking god and you have dimples for crying out loud!”

“Oh come off it!” Lay rolled his eyes, “This is coming from Mister Honey Voice over there!” he said, “I don’t hold a candle to you, with your freaking weird flicky-up mouth corners and your jaw and cheek bones! Not to mention those freaking bad boys!” he exclaimed, pointing at Chen’s biceps.

Chen chuckled, “Shall we call it a tie?” he suggested.

Lay scrunched up his nose for a moment before sighing in defeat, “Oh fine” he said, “It’s a tie”

“Good, now, since we have school tomorrow, we really should be getting to bed” Chen said, standing up and moving to look through his bag, he pulled out his pyjamas as his toothbrush, “I’ll be back in a minute” he said.

Lay hummed in acknowledgement as Chen left, then he got up himself. He placed his guitar back in the case, then placed the case by the side of his desk before moving to his drawers and pulling out a pair of pyjama bottoms and a vest top. He’d just finished changing when Chen walked back in.

They grinned at each other before Lay left the room to brush his own teeth. He had is phone in his hand, making Chen roll his eyes, since he knew the other boy was going to call Suho whilst he was in the bathroom.

By the time Lay came back, Chen was sat cross-legged on his bed with a smile.

“So” Chen said, “Am I on the futon or are we sharing?”

Lay rolled his eyes, “When have I ever made you sleep on the futon?” he asked, “That thing is ing horrid to sleep on”

“True” Chen laughed, “So sharing then?” he asked.

“Obviously” Lay said, flicking the light off as Chen the lamp by the bed.

Lay walked over to the bed, which Chen was now lying down on, beneath the covers, looking comfortable. Lay poked him harshly on the arm making Chen yelp. Lay laughed and crawled in beside him.

“You know,” Chen said as Lay turned off the lamp and the room was taken over by darkness, “I’m glad we’re back to normal”

Lay smiled and cuddled up against Chen, “Yeah, me too” he said, “I didn’t like how awkward it was before”

“I’m still really sorry, you know” Chen sighed, “I don’t know what I was thinking”

“I know” Lay said softly, “That’s why I forgave you. If you’d have done it on purpose, with the intention of getting back together with me, then I wouldn’t have even spoken to you again, but I know it wasn’t something you mean, so it’s okay”

Chen smiled into the darkness, “And I’m glad me and Min are okay again. I really do love him you know”

“I know you do, Jongdae” Lay laughed softly, quietly as Chen wrapped an arm around him.

It was nice like this. Back to how it was before all the drama happened, back to them being comfortable around one another again. It was nice, and that’s how Lay liked it best.

“I’m happy for you, too, by the way. For you and... Suho” Chen said softly, sleep lulling at him, “Night Xing”

Lay smiled, “Thanks, Dae” he said, “Goonight”

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: So....
Don't kill me okay! Omg.... 
I mean, like, you wanted KaiSoo, right? *nervous chuckle*
But.... But there was some fun in between the sad!

Comment and let me know your thoughts and feelings (And don't hate me omg)

Sub, vote ;)

Much loves~
Until next time<3