Wisdom of an Officer

Crack the Case

Minseok and Chanyeol looked at each other after watching their companion go out of the room. They both had this worried expression on their faces and they understood how each other felt. “Surely, they’ll talk about the case right?” Chanyeol’s voice quivered. “You know her very much. I’m sure you can guess what she’s doing,” Minseok looked away.

There was this silent atmosphere lingering in the room as both men were quiet.

“Mr. Kim, can you tell me what happened between you and Minseul in the past?”

Minseul nervously played with her fingers. Her eyebrows were furrowed as she bit her lower lip. For the first time after years, she felt nervous. She felt like she disappointed someone. What can kind of detective slept on the job right? Yet, she did so. “What’s taking him so long?” She mumbled, trying to relieve the anxiety that bothered her dear heart.

“This is all my fault. Now, all leads disappeared in a blink of an eye,” she muttered, wiping off the sweat from her forehead. She felt her heart beating quickly. She felt like she was about to melt there. She felt like she was going to die of a heart attack. After a few minutes, Luhan went into the café.

He looked around the spotted the nervous detective by the window. She was looking at the passersby and seemed like she was judging them one by one. “Annyeong,” Luhan said when he went in front of Minseul. She just nodded, not bothering to look at him.

“Mianhae…” She suddenly muffled and Luhan was shocked by the sudden apology. “Why are you apologizing?” he asked. Minseul looked at him and Luhan was really right. Minseul was so beautiful. She could pass as a model or some person in show business. Her eyes were serious and she was biting her lower lip and Luhan thought it was y.

He shook off the thought and listened to what Minseul had to say. “Did you bring the information I asked from you?” she asked as she raised an eyebrow. She put the folder Chanyeol provided her on the table. Luhan lightly nodded. “Ne,” he told her as he took a plastic envelope out of his bag. Minseul quickly took slid it towards her and opened it.

“The victim was known as PSY in the black market,” Luhan explained, going into database mode. “He killed before. All of his victims being es. He really doesn’t have a family. He only goes to the manager of the motel for money. By the way, PSY is short for—“  Luhan was cut off by Minseul muttering,” Psycho.”

“That’s it. He is a psycho killer,” Minseul muffled, going through the papers. “Do you have information about his victims? How he murdered them maybe?” she asked as she looked at him. She found Luhan staring at her. “Bwo?” She raised an eyebrow. Luhan shook his head. “It’s in the separate folder. It was hard finding information about cold cases you know. He hasn’t killed for 3 months. Then this happened,” he explained.

Minseul looked at the other white long folder. The folder had “PSYcho Murders” on it. “No pun intended,” Luhan chuckled a bit. Minseul shook her head. She opened the folder and looked through the pictures. Naeun… Taeyeon… Krystal… Minseul looked at the named one by one. They were all last scene in Gangnam with the killer.

“Are you feeling guilty because of what happened to the manager, Ms. Kang?” Luhan asked. Minseul lifted her head with wide eyes. But her expression slowly softened as she looked down. “Hm,” she slowly nodded, not letting her eyes leave her lap. “You don’t have to be… I mean, it’s not your fault,” Luhan told her. “I know but still, if I… I was so close to finding out the mastermind because we were in the same room… I was just asleep,” Minseul looked so guilty that Luhan was getting more worried.

“Are you planning to tell Minseok about this?” He asked. Minseul shrugged. “Not sure. Oh god, I look so pathetic right now,” she muffled as she covered her face. “You don’t. You actually look like a normal girl,” Luhan said before chuckling. “Shut up,” she glared.

“Are you planning on telling him about this?” Minseul removed her hands from her face and looked at Luhan. The officer looked at another direction and bit his lower lip. “Maybe I won’t. It’s about you after all. You have the right to tell him first. But he’ll find out sooner or later for sure,” Luhan answered. Minseul nodded.

“You can go back to them now,” she said. “You’re not planning to meet either Minseok or Chanyeol?” Luhan tilted his head to the side. Minseul nodded. “I understand how affected you are, Ms. Kang but think more about going on the case and finding the killer. Minseok is still affected by your father’s death and he can’t work properly,” Luhan said as he stood.

“He’s not my father,” Minseul mumbled. “No matter how much you try to deny that fact, Detective, he’ll always be your father. Not biologically but he’s your father deep in that dark heart you have,” Luhan said before leaving. Minseul frowned in discontentment.

“He has a lot of guts telling me that.”

Chanyeol was pulling his hair out as he spun in Minseok’s chair. And the officer was just staring at the board before him with pictures and maps and notes of all sorts. “I know you’re worried like me,” Chanyeol said in distress. Minseok  turned to him with a solemn smile. “Ne, but I trust Luhan. Even though he’s an idiot, he won’t do anything to Minseul and he always puts his job first before anything,” he reasoned.

Chanyeol only nodded, not wanting to go against the older. “You’re jealous, Chanyeol?” Minseok asked. “A bit,” Chanyeol mumbled. “But I don’t think Minseul will consider you as a romantic partner anytime soon. She’s… She hates men, doesn’t she?” Minseok walked towards the front of the table, just across Chanyeol.  The profiler nodded.

“And it’s all because of me, right?” Minseok said in almost a whisper.