Hatred

Crack the Case

Luhan sighed as he slumped his back against his couch. Earlier, he invited his good friend, none other than Kim Minseok, out to drink. But the older rejected him and he didn’t want to drink alone. Luhan knew he was better than that. He didn’t want to flirt with anyone that night.

After contemplating over the idea, Luhan decided to go out to see another close friend of his. It had been a while since he took the initiative to see him. The boy’s still in college and he took the course of Linguistics. The boy told Luhan he wanted to help the force by being the bridge between the Korean police and the foreign institutions. Luhan was impressed at how the boy thought of his future since Luhan was the bridge between Chinese and Korean police and most in the force knew how to talk in basic English.

Luhan stood up after a few minutes and wore his coat again. He wrote a note on a paper and put it on the fridge. He made sure he pulled out all the plugs before locking his door. He went into his car and drove towards Seoul National University, the top university in Korea. No one could go against this boy and Luhan was proud of him.

Luhan was just on time. He saw the boy going out of his school. Luhan guessed he was on his way home. Unlike other students around his age, he preferred going home early and studying. During the day, he’s in the dance studio near his home, practicing new dance routines his seniors teach him. Luhan knew the boy had a brighter future in entertainment but he was happier to know the boy wanted to join the force.

Luhan honked his car’s horn and the boy turned to his direction. The student grinned when he recognized who it was and ran towards the shotgun seat. “Hyung!” He gladly chimed once he settled in. “Jungkook-ah, my, you’ve grown,” Luhan said as he ruffled the younger’s hair.

“Of course I did, hyung. You don’t look bad yourself,” Jungkook smirked before laughing together with the older one. “How have you’ve been?” He asked. “Fine, Minseok rejected drinking again,” Luhan sighed. “You know how much he doesn’t like drinking. You should stop bar hopping too. Your liver might fail you someday,” Jungkook jokingly said.

“No, it won’t. I am a strong man, Jungkook.”

Chanyeol laughed as Taemin cracked a lame joke. “What’s so funny about that?” Jong-in shook his head. “I can never understand you two,” he added. “Because you don’t understand humor, Jong-in,” Chanyeol said in the middle of his laughter. “Me? I was the school’s clown when we were in high school!” Jong-in puffed his cheeks.

“You were so far from being the clown. You were the school’s fool, so gullible,” Taemin teased as he smirked. Jong-in frowned. “I wasn’t gullible,” he countered. Chanyeol rolled his eyes. “Sure, you weren’t,” he said before laughing with Taemin.

“By the way, how’s that girlfriend of yours?” Taemin asked as he looked at his tall companion. “How many times do I have to say that Minseul’s not my girlfriend?” Chanyeol said as his cheeks turned pink. “You wish,” Jong-in muttered. “You’ve caught me there, though,” Chanyeol jokingly punched Jong-in’s shoulder. “I could only dream that she’ll like me back,” he added.

“Only like? Don’t you love her?” Taemin asked. Chanyeol shrugged. “I won’t have my hopes that high. Besides, she’s too serious with the ongoing case. I’m sure you’ve heard from Europe,” he told him. Taemin shrugged with a smile on his face. “One of the most recent famous cases, I am bound to hear BBC talking nonstop on TV about it,” he complained.

Jong-in blinked a few times. “Well, I’ve heard about it when I attended a seminar on psychology. Man, that serial killer’s smooth,” he commented. Chanyeol nodded. “The Korean police head even went to the point of calling Minseul and I. You know how much she hates travelling,” he shared. “Hates travelling but goes to different European countries, how ironic,” Taemin clasped his hands.

“She won’t be stopped by anything, even by her hatred of men and travelling. She wants to win against the killer. She hates losing after all.”

Minseul stared at Minseok who was in front of her. It had been days since the siblings spoke to each other. “How’s the case?” Minseok asked, just to relieve the silence. “You would know. You are assigned to the case too,” Minseul calmly answered, before breathing in. “I think you’re smart enough to notice how the murders are connected with each other,” she started.

Minseok lightly nodded. “Though there are serial killings, the most intriguing ones are of those with the deaths of serial killers,” he told her. “Kim Namjoon, Lee Minho, Kang Minseul and that PSYcho,” Minseul enumerated. “And all of them have feather pens,” she added. “What do those feather pens symbolize? What do they mean?” Minseok asked.

Minseul shrugged before relaxing her back against the chair. “As what I studied back in Italy, black feather pens are for revenge spells and destruction spells used by believers of paganism. Now, I’m really sure I’m dealing with the same person I was dealing with in Europe,” she said as she massaged her temples. “This is giving me a headache,” she complained.

“Do you want to go out and get some milk tea then?” Minseok asked. Minseul groaned. “You know how many times Mr. Lu asked me that and I rejected him? And are you flirting with your ex-sister?” she raised an eyebrow. Minseok chuckled before shaking his head. “Not at all, I am genuinely concerned about you. I’m sure you’re a workaholic and you don’t let yourself relax,” he told her.

Minseul scoffed as she rolled her eyes. “You don’t have a clue about me,” she told him. “But Chanyeol knows,” Minseok said. “That stupid elf,” Minseul muttered. Minseok thought Minseul was so adorable. It was something knew but she was still the same girl he grew up with until his teenage years.

“Psh, alright,” Minseul said, with a tone as if she never wanted to go with him. Minseok smiled brightly before standing up. “Glad you’ll comply,” he said as he offered his hand to Minseul to help her up. “Same here,” Minseul sarcastically said before slapping his hand away and standing up by herself. “It doesn’t mean I’m not being mad at you,” she said before going out of the door and slamming it shut.

“Nice to see you after a long time, Minseok!” A Chinese woman high-fived the officer. “Nice to see you too, Amber. Never expected you to dye your hair blonde again,” Minseok smiled. “Oh, who’s this cute girl?” Amber looked over Minseul and she just looked away with a frown. “Your girlfriend?” Amber asked.

“Don’t you remember her? She’s Minseul,” Minseok told her. Amber blinked a few times before widening her eyes. “What? Really? Oh my, how fate plays you! You two met again in the field of your father,” she remarked. “He’s not my father,” Minseul murmured, making Minseok elbow her.

“Seems like she behaved and became a lady, like those European ladies I’ve read in books!” Amber remarked. Minseul scoffed before rolling her eyes. “I’m sure you’re comparing me to those in history books and they’re not at the least bit dainty like you say I am,” she told Amber before walking towards a table.

“She seems cocky too,” Amber looked at Minseok. “I’m really sorry about how she acted,” Minseok frowned. “I know you’ve got it harder. Oh well, drinks on me, Minseok,” Amber said before disappearing into the employee’s room. “Ah, thanks, Amber,” Minseok muttered before going to where Minseul was.

Minseul was quietly staring out the glass walls. Her eyes followed each civilian passing by. She envied how they lived normally. Minseul’s parents died before her mind could process it. Her foster mother died, defending her from a lunatic. Her brother kicked her out even before she came of age. She was looked down upon because she was a woman. And her foster father died without anyone knowing who the killer was.

I am so lucky. Kang Minseul is a very lucky woman.

Minseok soon joined her as he sat across the young woman. Minseul didn’t notice him at first since Minseok was used to moving discretely. Aside from that, she was thinking deeply. She was thinking of all the possibilities to who might be the suspect.

And so, Minseok had the chance to study her closely. She had pearly white skin. There wasn’t no blemish in sight. Her eyes were slanted but not too much. Her black and slightly curly hair was tied in a neat bun so her sight won’t be bothered. The only thing missing from her was her smile.

“It’s alright if you don’t call me oppa,” Minseok calmly said. Minseul glanced at him with an eyebrow cocking up. “What did you say?” She asked. “I don’t expect anything sweet from you. I admit my faults,” he calmly said. “Good,” was the only word that exited before her gaze belonged to the civilians again.

“But at least cooperate with Luhan and I. I know how hard it is to work with me but let’s be professional,” Minseok added. “I am being professional,” Minseul countered but she didn’t raise her voice. Minseok sighed. He knew how stubborn she was. “Sure, you are but in a low level. Minseul, your hatred of men won’t get you anywhere,” he said. Minseul turned to the police and laughed sarcastically.

“You’re talking to one of the greatest detectives in Europe, officer.”