Fear Begins

Crack the Case

Minseul fiddled with her fingers as she read about this case connected to her current one. There was another murder. The victim was found in a school’s auditorium, hanging on the wall with arrows stuck on every part of her body. Yes, the victim was a girl, a young student of the school.

She bit her lower lip as she looked over the victim’s profile. Kang Seul Gi was her name and she wasn’t all innocent as how people pictured her to be. Everyone who saw her on the news pitied the girl. Minseul, seeing the story on both sides, thought the girl might’ve deserved it. Seulgi killed a few more people expected from a high school student after all.

Seulgi’s face was ripped apart until unrecognizable. If there weren’t a roll call, no one knew the girl on the wall was Seulgi. This was the same as what happened to Mr. Kim. Minseul flinched at the memory. She shouldn’t be sentimental right now.

Seulgi had a total of 5 victims within this year. She was a serial killer in the making if she wasn’t killed recently. Minseul scanned the evidences presented to her by Yixing. There were the arrows tainted by Seulgi’s dry blood, her scrunchie, a rosary and her black coat which was found on the floor, absorbing the blood that was dripping when the body was found.

“A woman…” She whispered. “Worse, a girl, a high school girl. She was surely innocent, no, she took someone else’s life. She can’t be innocent,” she shook her head as she lifted the documents. “Within a week, two deaths,” she muttered. “Mr. Kim assigned to the other one and I got this,” she added before relaxing her back on the chair.

She closed her eyes for a moment and then, went back to the papers. She needed to find a missing link. She had a feeling this was connected with the other murders with killers as victims. She had to find it or the jury won’t believe her.

Meanwhile…

 A man was in his suit, already ready for the meeting he was attending. He lifted up an eyebrow as his ‘client’ entered the room. “Good morning, King,” he greeted. The client was in casual clothing, a t-shirt and jeans. “And what do you need, Rook?” The king asked as he raised an eyebrow.

“They killed another pawn of ours, King. They killed Seulgi,” the rook said in a calm tone. “I’ve heard from the bishop,” the king said as he crossed his arms, eyeing the chair so the rook could sit. The rook gladly did so and looked up to his king. “What should we do?” He almost said in a panicked voice.

The king calmly went behind him and held his shoulders. “If you panic, you’ll be noticed. Be careful. A king needs his rook. Now, we also killed another pawn of theirs,” a smile slowly crept on the king’s face. “I’m sure you know who Kim Namjoon is,” he continued. “One knight managed to finish him off,” he laughed a bit.

“Which?” The rook furrowed his eyebrows. “Oh, you know, Gunshot,” at the mention of the name, the rook cringed. “Don’t worry. You told him where that pawn was after all. Pitiful pawns, they don’t know what they’re getting into,” the king clasped his hands, rubbing them against each other. “But those pawns do know the pleasure of killing, King,” the rook smiled a bit.

“Oh yes, the pleasure of doing so.”

Back to the detective…

“Did you go to Jong-in already?” Chanyeol asked as he lifted his head from the newspaper. Minseul frowned a bit. “I don’t plan on going to that therapist. I don’t need professional help, Chanyeol. You see I can comfortably talk to you,” she hissed.

“But you can’t work with me comfortably, Minseul,” Chanyeol’s smile slowly faded. “Minseul, I know you are a tough woman but face it, you can’t get anything done if you don’t solve that problem of yours. It’s hard having you telling me how far I should be,” he massaged his temples after letting his newspaper down on his lap.

Minseul paused when she was sorting the papers. She knew that. She knew she kept telling Chanyeol to stand about a certain distance from her. She told Chanyeol to work in a separate room. She was afraid to trust Chanyeol even if they were partners for so long and even if she lives in the same place as he is.

“If that’ll help you shut up, okay,” she sighed. Chanyeol’s smile returned and he happily stood up, grabbing his coat which was beside him. “Then let’s go!” He cheered. Minseul felt annoyed but she knew Chanyeol wouldn’t stop. Chanyeol was stubborn.

He hurriedly grabbed Minseul’s coat from the hanger and wrapped it around her. He held her hand and dragged her towards the car. Chanyeol was actually very happy having her hand in his. It was one of the rare physical contacts they had. And he really loves her after all. But Minseul just rejects him every time.

“You’ve been working with Luhan-hyung a lot,” Chanyeol said as he concentrated on the road.

“Yes, I have.”

“And what do you talk about?”

“Work.”

“Be more specific.”

“Murders.”

“I know that! I mean, when you take a break.”

“Why are you so curious?” Minseul gritted her teeth. “You know it’s in my nature,” Chanyeol smiled brighter. “Every time, if it’s about that Mr. Lu, you get overprotective and ask all these questions,” Minseul said. “It’s normal. If Minseok-hyung can’t be your oppa, I have to protect you. Even if you’re strong and all that, you’re still a woman,” Chanyeol snapped.

“A woman is not always weak. Unlike you men, our lower region doesn’t hurt when you kick it,” Minseul said as she looked out the window. Chanyeol kept quiet. She was right. Not all women are weak. But Chanyeol wanted to protect her. He always did. But she always makes him look like the one being protected because this girl knows martial arts.

They finally arrived in Jong-in’s office. “Hyung,” Jong-in nodded a bit at his senior. “Nice to meet you,” the younger turned to Minseul and offered his hand. Minseul only nodded for a bit and Jong-in knew she wasn’t going to shake his hand.

“Kim Jong-in imnida,” Jong-in bowed. “Kang Minseul,” she timidly said. “Please sit down,” he gestured to the sofa. “Should I…?” Chanyeol pointed at the door. “You can watch. You can aid me,” Jong-in faced his patient.

“Now, when did this fear begin?”