Reminiscing the Past

Crack the Case

Minseok stretched his arms before settling them on his desk. He was getting bored. Not that his father’s case was boring for him, it’s that Minseul hasn’t contacted him for a while. He’s been staying with Luhan these days since his father’s death and he doesn’t know if Minseul was visiting the crime scene. He was already finished interviewing the possible suspects. And profiling wasn’t one of his specialties sadly.

Minseok then decided to go out of the office, alone. Luhan was bound to be under his paperwork plus he was assigned to monitor the streets for driving violations. Sehun must’ve been assisting other cops. Tao is surely on patrol for any 911 calls. Minseok didn’t have any choice but to go alone.

He decided to go to the crime scene to investigate. He was sure no one touched the evidences, especially there are other cops on patrol there. He was right when he arrived. He saw the heavy security around the area but it was heavier than what he orders. “Why are there so many cops around?” Minseok asked KyungSoo who was looking around.

“Orders from the detective,” KyungSoo answered. “Sorry for not updating you about this, hyung,” he bit his lower lip. Minseok lightly smiled at him before ruffling his hair. “It’s fine. Is she there?” Minseok asked. KyungSoo nodded. “And she has some company with her. I don’t know who he is though,” KyungSoo said. Automatically, Minseok became the protective older brother he should’ve been back then.

Minseok hurried into the house and went in the living room. He saw Minseul crouching down and touching the blood stains with a serious expression on her face. Just behind her was a tall man taking notes of what Minseul was saying. “The murderer must’ve hit his head before proceeding to mutilate him further. Brutal, really brutal, inhumane…” Minseul shook her head.

“Maybe so, but murderers back in America get more brutal than that. You should get used to our work, Minseul,” the man said, lowering the notepad and spotting Minseok by the door. “And who is this?” He raised an eyebrow at the officer. Minseul raised her head and frowned. “Were you going to investigate?” She stood up and dusted off her coat. “Just on time too. I have to be somewhere else with my partner,” she said, gesturing to the man with her and she headed towards the door, to pass by Minseok.

“Wait,” Minseok held on her arm. “Bwoya?” Minseul asked in a cold tone. “I’m sorry,” he mumbled. “Sorry for what? Kicking me out of the house I grew up in? Sorry won’t cut it, Mr. Kim and I have to go. I have people waiting for me. This case isn’t the only one I’m solving while I’m in Korea,” she said, pulling her arm away and following the man who accompanied her.

“Who is that man?” he mumbled under his breath. He proceeded on going to his former room on the second floor of the house. It was clean, very spic-and-span. He never wanted to litter in his room even if he’s rarely there. He suddenly felt the cold air. Did his father feel lonely whenever he left for work? Maybe so, Minseok grew up with his father being one of the best police officers after all. He worked with the FBI once to catch a world renowned serial killer/.

Minseok really missed his father. He missed how the old man would scold him. He missed how the old man would be so proud of him. He jumped into his bed and relived his memories as a child and as a teenager. He was popular with the girls weirdly, which earned Minseul’s jealousy as a sister and an attention seeker. Every time he goes home, he’ll find cookies baked by his mother.

“If only I could go back in time,” he mumbled into the pillow. He used to share this room with Minseul. She was really noisy before going to sleep. She would talk to Minseok about her day and sometimes ask for advice about boys since she has a lot of sasaeng fans. He admitted it back then he thinks his sister is cute but can become annoying most of the time.

He knows he should be concentrating on the case right now but seeing his sister after who knows how long impacted him so much. He remembered his regrets. He realized how much memories he could’ve made with her and his father. He realized how much his father might’ve missed her and wanted to spend time with her. She returned because of their father’s case maybe. She still loves her family, he hoped.

He soon found himself in deep slumber. And his dream only made him feel more nostalgic than ever.

Minseok was only 10 back then. Minseul was 9. They were playing in their home and were running around when Minseul tripped. Minseok almost cried but he decided to keep his tears in and carry Minseul on his back. “Oppa, no, I’m too heavy!” She cried. “Yah, keep quiet, you’re making me deaf,” he said as he ran up the stairs and settled Minseul on her bed.

Her knee was bleeding, making Minseok panic more than he already was. “Call umma! Umma will know what to do!” Minseul told him. Minseok nodded lightly before running off to find their mother. Minseul was holding on the area around her knee, sniffing a bit. “It hurts…” She mumbled. “But I’m a big girl, shouldn’t cry,” she added.

After a few minutes, Minseok arrived, dragging their mother by her wrist. “Umma, Minseul was so stupid she tripped!” Minseok said when he stopped. He panted a bit. His mother was heavy. “Aiya, don’t call your sister stupid, Minseok. I’ll treat it. Don’t worry, Minseul,” their mother patted Minseul’s head before going out to get their First Aid Kit.

“You were about to cry, oppa,” Minseul teased with a pained smile on her face. “Paboya! You look stupid when you were going to cry and you were even nagging me about it!” Minseok told her. Minseul stuck her tongue out and winked at him. “Oppa loves me so much!” She told him. “Bwo?! I do—“ But he was caught off guard when Minseul told him.

“And I love oppa very much. Saranghaeyo, oppa!”

Minseok woke up around 5 PM already. He panicked because he needs to report back to the station. He quickly went down but he paused for a bit when he passed by the living room. He eyed on the couch and muttered to himself

” Whoever did the crime must pay.”