Moving Forward

Crack the Case

Minseok was slightly taken back when he saw Minseul in his office once he returned to the station. Her male companion wasn’t with her this time. She had a long folder with her and she was sitting behind Minseok’s desk. “I see you couldn’t get over my leave,” she coldly said, not looking at him who was still by the door. “Anyways, I’m here to drop off some notes. This serial killer we’re dealing here is not alone. Psychotic murderers tend to work alone but this one was manipulated,” she said as she gestured at the chair in front of the desk.

“Take a seat, Mr. Kim. I’ll explain what we had formulated,” Minseul said. Minseok slowly nodded after hesitating to follow her order and sat down at the indicated seat. “What do you mean we?” Minseok asked as he raised an eyebrow. “Of course you saw me with my partner. The only thing I’ll say about him is that he worked as a skilled criminal profiler with the FBI when he was in California. He dealt with many cases like this in America so I can trust his skills,” Minseul answered before pushing the folder towards Minseok.

“I took some notes. And if you question how I knew this killer was manipulated, it’s because the signature is too identical to be done by someone who doesn’t know the mastermind. I have encountered his or her accomplices in Europe and caught them successfully but the murders pursued. This mastermind seems to love playing mind games with me,” Minseul elaborated. “Anyways, the signature was how the killer mutilated the victim’s head. He left his mark but went too far in murdering the victim this time. Psychos usually do that, sometimes even the victim’s dead body or before even killing the person but that’s not our case now. This murderer is sadistic. He may be juvenile to these types of acts, seeing he attacked when the victim was asleep and the time of death was, we guessed, when only a few people were outside so the murderer felt confident to enter the house without any seeing him.”

She pointed at a picture of the front door of Minseok’s home and told him to observe it. “Notice anything?” She asked. Minseok furrowed his eyebrows. “I never knew you could be this stupid,” Minseul insulted him, earning a glare from the officer. “Anyways, there isn’t any damage on the door or any other ways of entries in the home so the murderer might’ve had a copy of your keys or he was skilled with breaking and entering. Or, another hypothesis by my partner, is that the victim let him in which is really a possibility,” she went on.

Minseul’s phone suddenly rang and she muttered an apology. She cussed when she saw the caller ID. Much to Minseok’s luck, he didn’t see who called her. “What? I’m doing pretty important right now, stupid. I am explaining the evidences we found to Mr. Kim! What do you mean which Mr. Kim? I know there are a lot of Kims in Korea but please try to use your brain this time. Sheesh. Yeah, I accept your apology. Just tell me what you found later on when I come back to our flat,” and then she hung up with a frown on her face.

“You share a flat with him?!” Minseok reacted. Minseul rolled her eyes and then shot him a glare. “And so? We’ve been sharing a flat for a while now. We always get to work together since he went to London,” Minseul told him. “You share a flat with a guy! You don’t know what he might do to you, Minseul!” Minseok said.”Yah, why do you care and who gave you the right to call me by my given name?” Minseul said as she raised an eyebrow. “I am your oppa, Minseul and that won’t change even if a thousand years pass,” Minseok reasoned. “You know, whatever you say, you are still not related to me by blood. I just grew up with you until my teenage years!” Minseul almost shouted.

“Whatever,” she stood up and closed the folder. “I’ll be going. I have some other calls to make and from now on, call me either Detective Kang or Ms. Kang, arasseo?” Minseul said before quickly leaving the room. Minseok cursed his bad behavior. He can’t control his mouth. His sister was living with some guy that might end up as a without her knowing. Minseul might be murdered by that partner. Call him crazy and prejudice but any man can be a wolf.

“But that was still inappropriate… You made her madder, Minseok,” he said, covering his face with his hands. Luhan went in the room after he bumped into Minseul on her way out of the building. “What happened here?” He asked as he sat across Minseok. “I acted like a brother,” Minseok muttered. “Paboya!” Luhan hit his head. “Bwoya?!” Minseok reacted, glaring at his best friend. “That was stupid! Even if you never tried telling me anything, I know that cute sister of yours is mad at you and you acting like an older brother to her at this time isn’t the best thing to do,” Luhan told him. “You sometimes look stupid but you analyze the atmosphere better than Yixing,” Minseok complimented him. “Thanks, I’ll take that as a compliment. Anyways, what do you plan to do with her? How will you earn her forgiveness?” Luhan asked.

Minseok shrugged. “I don’t know. I never expected to see her return here and I didn’t even know how she earned the money to go to Europe,” he said. “Maybe she sold her body. That’s a fast way to get money,” Luhan suggested, getting a hit on the head from Minseok. “I was just joking!” Luhan nervously laughed. “She doesn’t seem to be the kind to you know, be a e,” he added, rubbing his head. “Maybe she took on a scholarship? That’s pretty common,” he said to redeem himself. “Yeah, maybe,” Minseok lightly nodded.

“Anyways, why was she here?” Luhan asked. “She explained what she discovered so far and apparently, her companion is a criminal profiler,” Minseok answered. Luhan pouted. “Aw, she might be taken. What if her companion was her boyfriend? Plus criminal profilers are smart. I have no chance,” he muttered. “Don’t tell me you have some kind of interest in my sister,” Minseok said in disbelief. “Bwo? She’s cute,” Luhan reasoned. “Yah, get away from my sister! She’s a precious jewel!” Minseok told Luhan. “Don’t worry. I won’t force myself on her,” Luhan chuckled.

“But don’t you think fate gave you a chance to get her back as your sister?” Luhan looked directly into Minseok’s eyes. “She’s stubborn. That part of her hasn’t changed over the years. She’ll forgive me but it would take as long as we were apart,” Minseok said. “Then good luck, Minnie. Fighting!” Luhan said as he pretended to be a teenage girl. “It weirdly fits you, Lulu,” Minseok laughed. “Geez, even Sehun says that. I don’t look that feminine, do I?” Luhan frowned. “You’re just baby faced, don’t worry,” Minseok reassured him. “Xie xie,” Luhan said and then he realize he spoke in Chinese.

“I should stop doing that,” Luhan scolded himself. “You can’t surpress your inner Chinese, Luhan,” Minseok reminded him. “Bao zi, I can!” Luhan squirmed. “Yeah, you can,” Minseok said sarcastically.