Welcome Back

Crack the Case

Minseok stared at the paper in front of him. “This is just too…” He shook his head. “Is that person even human?” He scanned the information. Apparently, his father received a blow on the head by a hammer and with the same hammer, the killer hit his father’s face until it wasn’t at all recognizable and his feet were crushed along with his arms. It was so violent.

“Minseok,” Luhan entered the room with a phone in his hand. “Bwo?” Minseok glared at him. He shouldn’t be interrupted when he’s thinking about this certain case. “The director just told me that you can’t solve this case alone,” Luhan answered. “I have you with me,” Minseok told him. “Uh, it seems like he doesn’t think I can help you in any way,” Luhan said. Minseok rolled his eyes.

“And?” He asked. “He found a detective from Europe that can help you,” Luhan continued. “A foreigner? We can’t communicate if he doesn’t know Korean,” Minseok said. “It’s a she and she was born as a Korean apparently,” Luhan said. Minseok sighed. “I don’t need a detective. I have you,” he groaned. “I am touched because of what you said but man, we can’t contradict his decisions and that detective is coming soon,” Luhan reminded him.

“What if she gets her period and I’ll be the one punished?” Minseok complained. Luhan laughed. “But the director said she’s good. Best in Europe if I remember right. Apparently, she likes working alone too and it’s the first time she volunteered for a case outside Europe so be honored,” Luhan told him. “Yeah, yeah,” Minseok said sarcastically. Luhan pouted for a moment.

“Any plans tonight?” Minseok asked. Luhan thought for a moment and shook his head. “Maybe just finishing my report for director,” he answered. “Okay, that’s important. As long as you’ll be with me when I meet this detective, arasseo?” Minseok said. Luhan nodded. “Okay, boss,” Luhan teased before going out of the office.

“Best in Europe huh,” Minseok muttered. “And a girl! Ha, I think the director only found her cute,” he told himself. “Let’s just see how much of a detective she is,” he smirked.

“Okay, Luhan-hyung was right, this was done by a serial killer,” Yixing said when they had a meeting. Yixing was the one in charge of scanning for similarities between the murders. He was also a good spokesperson when Luhan wasn’t around. He was chosen to explain the case to the detective who was coming to their meeting soon.

“Just a few minutes,” Minseok muttered when he looked at his watch. Just then a woman in a European-like coat entered the room. She had her hands in her pockets of the coat and looked like the stereotypical detective the men see in movies. Minseok suspected her to have a gun under that coat. And she looked awfully familiar to him.

“Detectivenim, this is Kim Minseok, our head in investigations,” Yixing gestured to Minseok and he did as expected, he stood up and bowed. “I know him very well, Mr. Zhang,” she said that made all the officers confused. “Moving on, this is Lu Han and he always assists Minseok-hyung in his cases,” Yixing continued and Luhan did the same as Minseok. “Why can all your police officers pass as idols?” She looked upset and shook her head. “Never mind. Anyways, explain the case to me plus show the evidences,” she said before sitting down.

Luhan explained everything to her and showed the autopsy reports and Joonmyeon’s testimony. There was even an interview with Minseok. “Ah… I see,” She nodded lightly. “Wait for a moment. You never introduced yourself to us, detectivenim,” Luhan pointed out. “How can we trust someone whose name we don’t even know?” Minseok said.

The woman rolled her eyes before standing up. “I’m Kang Minseul, formerly Kim Minseul. I was illegally Mr. Kim’s younger sister and now, if you excuse me,” Minseul said, taking the copies of the reports in her arms. “I have to bring this to a friend of mine to help me,” she said.

“Wait,” Minseok said when he recovered from shock. “Do you expect me to call you oppa again, Mr. Kim?” Minseul turned her head. Minseok bit his lower lip. It was obvious Minseul was mad at him. She has anger in her eyes, something he never saw Minseul have when they were kids. “The director said we’ll only work with you. The information shouldn’t spread,” Minseok answered.

“I trust this person. He’s been with me since I started being a detective. If that’s all, I have to go,” Minseul said before going out of the room. Minseok then slumped on his seat and thought about what just happened. He just saw his sister after all these years. She grew into a beautiful lady. She grew into a detective, not really different from her dream when they were kids.

“Can you fill me up here? She’s your long lost sister?” Luhan approached Minseok. The older nodded. “You never told us much about her. You never told me she was cute. Can I flirt with her?” Luhan asked. Minseok hit his arm. “Pabo,” he said as he glared at the deer. Luhan laughed. “I was just joking,” he said. “But she’s cute. And what does she mean illegally?” Yixing said. “My father never adopted her legally,” Minseok answered lifelessly.

“Oh? Since when were you siblings?” Luhan asked. Minseok shot him the look. “No more questions please. I have to find out how she lived her life and I have to earn her forgiveness and find out who is this friend she’s pertaining to,” Minseok said before standing up. “Tell her I’m single!” Luhan chimed. Minseok sighed. “Andwae,” he said before exiting the room.

He went to his office and found a letter on his desk. He remembered Minseul’s handwriting. Her hangul was always squished together and he was lucky to understand it. The note also had her number on it.

Text me so I’ll know your number. I’ll tell you if I have any leads on who killed appa.

But there was nothing sweet on it like she usually writes with. Back then, she always puts Saranghae or Fighting or Take Care but now, it was really short and direct to the point. He bit his lower lip, remembering the feeling of regret he felt back then. He sat down again and opened the drawer where the reports about previous murders were found a paper flew from there and he read:

Also, I know I’m adopted. Kang Myungsoo is my father, an officer and appa’s co-worker. I’m also here to investigate his and my mother’s case. As a favor, try to find anything connected to that case. Jebal.