Death in the Hospital

Crack the Case

Minseul patiently waited for the manager to wake up. And she was alone. She told the others to investigate the scene, specifically speaking Minseok. She told Chanyeol to gather information about the manager’s family. And she told Luhan to collect information about the dead victim himself.

“I have no clue what kind of poison could have that quick of an effect,” Minseul muttered to herself. “It would surely be expensive for someone to buy that poison just to kill one person. The murderer must’ve have a lot in stock,” she added, resting her back on the chair. She opened a bag of potato chips and shot one into .

“I hope Chanyeol and Mr. Lu can do their jobs faster. I know collecting information about complete strangers would be hard but still…” She bit her lower lip. She remembered how a lot of people had suspicions that she may be the killer. That’s one of the reasons why she was willing to return to Korea. And when Chanyeol worked with her, the suspicions turned to him.

But Minseul wasn’t the killer. She knew that in her heart. She can’t kill. She may harm killers and she may despise them because of what happened in the past but she can’t kill. That was her only weakness as a detective. She should be ready for anything and she should be ready to do anything if she came face-to-face with a murderer… a psycho.

“Minseul-ah!” Chanyeol practically slammed the door open. Minseul glared at him first, gesturing to the sleeping manager. “Mian,” he suddenly smiled before silently closing the door and creeping towards Minseul’s side. “You’ve done what I told you?” Minseul asked. Chanyeol nodded, handing a brown folder to his partner. “It was easy when his wife was willing to cooperate. We just have to fill in the blanks when we get Luhan-hyung’s information,” Chanyeol told her.

“And when did you start calling him your… hyung?” Minseul looked at him. “Oh, he doesn’t like formalities as much as you do, love,” Chanyeol said in a British accent that made Minseul want to vomit. “We are in Korea, idiot. Speak Korean,” Minseul hissed. “Mian, mian,” Chanyeol chuckled. Minseul snapped her head back to the folder and opened it up.

There were typewriting papers filling up the folder. There were some documents and some with Chanyeol’s ugly handwriting according to Minseul. There were even pictures of the manager’s family. “Leeteuk?” Minseul asked. “He was a singer before in hotels. He took on the stage name Leeteuk,” Chanyeol gladly explained it to her.

“Is that so? Hmm…” Minseul scanned the information more. “Information about that brother of his is so limited,” she complained after shuffling through the papers. “You only told me to collect information about him, Minnie. And not about Jae-sang,” Chanyeol answered. “Oh darn it. We really need Mr. Lu’s compilation then. Once you go out, tell Mr. Kim to have a meeting tomorrow,” Minseul said.

“You’re not coming with me?” Chanyeol pouted. Minseul rolled her eyes at the childish action. “You’re a grown man. Seriously, you can handle yourself, Chanyeol. I’ll be taking watch of the manager. I need to ask him some questions when he wakes up,” she told him. “Give me a kiss first,” Chanyeol insisted. “Close your eyes then,” Minseul said. Chanyeol smiled victoriously and closed his eyes. Minseul stood up and…

She practically shoved the empty bag of potato chips into his mouth. Chanyeol’s eyes quickly opened and he looked disappointed. “Stop flirting with me, idiot. Now, go,” Minseul pointed at the door. “You know, Minseul, even if you keep pushing me away like this. I won’t stop pursuing you,” Chanyeol winked and headed to the door.

Minseul furrowed her eyebrows. “That guy is really weird,” she shook her head before slumping on her seat again. “I hate men. Doesn’t he understand that? I don’t want to go through all that kind of trouble again,” she muttered. And soon after, she fell asleep which was a huge mistake.

“Miss! Miss! Wake up!” The nurse shook the sleeping Minseul. Her eyes fluttered open and she wiped her eyes. “Mwoya?” She asked before covering because of a yawn. “The patient is slowly dying!” The nurse said. “WHAT?!” She immediately stood up. She turned her head to the manager who had a pained expression on his face as if he was fighting for his life.

“No, this cannot happen. He knows something!”

“What is taking her so long?” Minseok complained. “I see big brother is impatient,” Luhan said before chuckling. “Shut it, Luhan. And that Chanyeol person isn’t here too,” Minseok bit his lower lip. “Minseok, you don’t know if they’re just pulling strings together about this case. You know the killer weaved a complicated cloth for us to figure out,” Luhan said. “That was really deep and meaningful, Lu,” Minseok said, sounding impressed. “Is it? I read it in one of the mystery novels I saw,” Luhan said. Minseok frowned again.

Chanyeol went into the room with a coffee cup in his hand but Minseok knew better than to assume Chanyeol was drinking coffee. “Sorry for being late,” he bowed for a moment and then looked around the room. “She’s still not here?” Chanyeol looked at the two officers. Minseok nodded. “We thought she was with you,” Luhan said.

“She left herself behind before I went here last night. I can’t believe she could be late for a meeting. Maybe something happened,” Chanyeol set the cup on the table before sitting. He pulled his hair back and put his cap back on his head. “Don’t tell me she could’ve got hurt,” Minseok said, concern filling his voice more than authority. Chanyeol shook his head. “Impossible, hyung. She’s strong plus the security in the hospital we brought the manager in is good,” he gave a thumbs up.

Suddenly, Luhan’s phone rang. He was surprised to see he never saved the number before. “Hello?” He said. “Who is it?” Minseok asked. Luhan made a gesture for Minseok to shut up. “Detective Kang? That’s horrible. How can you find a way to have him alive then? You’re just human. Don’t be illogical!” Luhan shook his head in dismay.

“Okay, I understand. I’ll see you in Café la Vie. Bring the folder Chanyeol gave you so we can talk about it. Alright, I understand. I won’t bring your brother. Okay, he’s not your brother. I won’t bring Minseok,” Luhan then hung up.

“Chanyeol, Minseok, I have a solo mission now with the detective,” he chimed with an annoying smile on his face.