A New Case

Crack the Case

“The body was found 2 AM by the victim’s child. From autopsy, it seems the suspect stabbed the victim two times before slitting ,” Minseok nodded as he listened to Luhan’s report. “Are there any witnesses?” Minseok asked as he looked up at him. Luhan shook his head. “None, it was an inside job surely. The place of the crime was in the victim’s room so the others suspect the husband,” he continued. Minseok tapped his pen on the table, thinking about the possibilities.

“Tell Sehun to ask the child about any of his mother’s enemies or anyone with a connection with the victim. Ask about the husband’s whereabouts also. He’s our prime suspect,” Minseok advised him. Luhan nodded before exiting Minseok’s office.

After a lot of hardships, Minseok managed to get a job as a police in Seoul and he was the head of the investigative unit. After his mother died and his sister’s leave also, Minseok did his best as a student and took the course of criminology. He was the top student. He was the brains of the unit. He has been friends with Luhan since college too. Luhan is usually his partner in solving crimes.

He massaged his temples as he sighed. “Aish… another case and another headache… Chincha…” He muttered to himself. He looked to the corner of his desk and stared at the last family portrait they had when they were complete. He wondered how Minseul was doing. Was she even alive? People these days shouldn’t be trusted. Did she reach her dream of being a police like him?

If anything bad happened to his adoptive sister, he will surely blame himself.

Ever since Minseul left, he was always scolded by his father. She left without any trace of her belongings. Her notebooks, her books, her pictures, even her posters were gone! He was also wondering who she stayed with all this time.

Minseok closed his eyes for a moment. He imagined how his life would be if his feelings didn’t take over him. Minseul would be taking care of his father and she could’ve reached her dream along with him. “I hate to admit it sometimes but I really miss her,” Minseok muttered to himself.

After that, he continued looking through the reports the other members submitted to him. It was hard for him. He was only a 26 year old male but he felt like he was as old as his father already. It was around 6 PM already, just an hour after his shift finishes. “I wonder what appa does all day,” Minseok asked himself.

His phone then rang and a panicked voice answered his “Hello?” “Slow down, slow down, Joonmyeon. So what happened to appa?” Minseok asked his neighbor, Kim Joonmyeon who he told to check on his father occasionally. “Ahjussi is dead!” Joonmyeon shouted over the phone. “BWO?!” Minseok stood up from his seat. “When I was going to give ahjussi some beef for him to cook, I found him dead in your living room!” Joonmyeon further shared.

“Wait for me there. I’ll come immediately!” Minseok said before hanging up and taking his coat and going out from his office. A lot of thoughts were going on his head. How did his father die? Who would do such a thing? Why would that killer kill his father? And etc.

Once he arrived, there was already an ambulance and police cars all over the place. “Hyung, finally!” Tao said as he flailed his arms in the air. He was a fellow officer and one of the fastest people to respond on a case. He was a newbie though. “So what was the condition of the corpse?” Minseok asked, going ahead of Tao and going into the crime scene.

“We found the corpse on the couch and it seemed the victim was sleeping before he was murdered,” Tao said. Minseok almost wanted to find the suspect immediately. “Why are you panicking, hyung?” Tao blinked innocently. Oh right, Tao doesn’t know his father. Minseok bit his lower lip and tried to cool down. “Nothing,” he shook his head. He wore a jumpsuit and gloves so that he couldn’t contaminate the crime scene.

He looked around. It was a gory scene. The couch and the carpet were full of blood. “Tell the medical crew to bring the body to the morgue for autopsy,” Minseok told Tao and the younger nodded before doing what he was told. “Aish…” Minseok covered his face. He was relieved there weren’t any other officers there. He wanted to cry.

His heart was torn into pieces. His father was the only person he had since his mother’s death. Whoever done this, that killer should just be executed immediately. He clutched his cheeks and wanted to let it all out but he can’t. He should stay strong. He was the head of the unit. He shouldn’t let this shake him.

He stood up and went out. Joonmyeon rushed to him. “Why do they keep making me wear this blanket? Anyways, Minseok,” Joonmyeon looked at him and Minseok sensed sadness in his eyes also. “It’s for shock. You saw a corpse after all,” Minseok said lifelessly. “I am so sorry for what happened, I should’ve come sooner,” Joonmyeon said. Minseok shook your head. “You don’t have anything to do with this. Don’t worry. I’ll have the killer die,” he said.

Minseok knew now he shouldn’t blame anyone. He can’t even blame himself. He can only blame the killer. He had a bad experience on blaming someone. He blamed Minseul for his mother’s death after all. Minseul didn’t have anything to do with it. It was his mother’s decision to protect her after all. And Minseul was injured too. She put herself in danger by trying to escape.

“Hyung?” Joonmyeon called for his attention. “Kwaenchana?” he asked the older. Minseok shook his head and showed a painful smile. “I’m… fine,” he said. “Anyways, I’ll be going. I’ll see the results of the autopsy soon and see if it’s connected to any murders before since we may be dealing with a serial killer. If not then, the person still needs to rot in hell,” Minseok said bitterly. “Good luck, officer,” Joonmyeon patted his back before handing him the blanket and going to the other officers to answer questions.

Minseok spent most of his shift investigating about this case. This is the most important case to solve for him. He hopes to solve this soon and have the killer in his mercy. His heart suffered so much after all.

What Minseok has yet to know is that this will be the start of the hardest case for him to solve alone.