Feather Pen

Crack the Case

Minseok has been reading the information collected by Chanyeol and Luhan. Even if a great profiler like Chanyeol and a great detective like Minseul can’t accurately guess who the mastermind is, he can at least try to achieve what they can’t. It’s been two days since the manager died and two days since Minseul had contact with him.

But the officer tried not remembering that.

Of course, Minseul would avoid him. In contrast, her partner goes to Minseok’s station regularly to check on their progress and if there are cases he can help in solving. That boy usually chats with Minseok and he’s really talkative and easygoing. The down side was whenever Luhan was around, Chanyeol’s mood would go to an opposite direction, maybe seeing the older as a love rival.

Minseok doubts Luhan having feelings for his sister though.

“I scheduled an interview with Jeong-su’s family,” Yixing shared during their break time that day. “They might help us shed some light on some matters,” he added, getting a bite off his sandwich. “Or they might be clueless of what that psycho does,” Luhan said as he reclined his back on the chair.

Minseok shrugged. “It’s already scheduled anyways and it won’t hurt to talk to them,” he reasoned, making Yixing nod in the process. “By the way, have any of you talked to my sister—I mean Minseul recently?” Minseok asked. Luhan snickered as the slip of tongue done by the older and then shook his head. On the other hand, Yixing nodded.

“She regularly visits in the morning, before you’re able to reach the station,” he explained. Minseok groaned, remembering his shift starts about 2 hours after Yixing’s. Since Luhan said that he wasn’t able to see Minseul recently and his shift starts about an hour after Yixing’s, it’s safe to conclude Minseul’s visits were probably within Yixing’s first hour.

“Will she come with you?” Luhan asked as he raised his eyebrow. “To- you know- Mrs. Park?” he added. “It was actually her idea to go to Mrs. Park. And if I’m right, she won’t think of bringing Chanyeol along,” Yixing answered. Minseok’s head perked up. “What time?” he asked.

Yixing shook his head before putting a finger to his lips. “She told me not to tell you or anyone from the team. I already told you too much. I just wanted to inform you in case someone from a higher position tries to find me,” he said, an apology following afterwards.

“I understand,” Minseok sighed. “Just tell her I have to talk to her soon, arasseo?” He looked into the eyes of the younger. “Ne, hyung,” Yixing nodded with a smile exposing his dimple. “And tell her my number too,” Luhan slyly butted in as he winked at Yixing but the smirk from his face disappeared when Minseok hit his head.

“Get away from my sister, Lu Han.”

“Understood, Minseul,” Chanyeol nodded, not really wanting to part with the girl but privacy is privacy. Aside from that, Minseul never wanted anyone to meddle in her affairs, especially this one. He looked like he was already sulking but Minseul still looked at him with blank and cold eyes.

“And no, I won’t be with Mr. Lu, Chanyeol. Can’t you understand that? I’ll be going with Mr. Zhang,” Minseul repeated for the nth time since Chanyeol was really jealous of how comfortable Minseul seemed with Luhan but the girl was really clueless of what Chanyeol was seeing.

“Now, I have to go. We’ve talked about meeting each other at 2 PM and it’s already ten minutes before 2,” Minseul said before hurriedly getting her folder and bidding the poor boy goodbye. She then took a cab and went to the park where she was supposed to meet with Yixing.

There, she found Yixing by his car. He was still in his police uniform and seemed like he was in a daze. She immediately entered the passenger seat and snapped her fingers in front of him. “Let’s go. You know where she lives right?” Minseul said when Yixing was starting the engine. The older nodded. “I got it from the hospital records. Luckily, I have connections,” he explained.

Minseul was relieved she found a sane person from that police station. It’s not like Luhan and Minseok are useless, it’s just that Luhan kept on flirting with her and Minseok, well, she hates Minseok’s guts. Soon, they arrived in front of a normal looking home and they saw a middle aged woman by the entrance to that house.

“Annyeong,” Minseul bowed her head at the woman. “Mrs. Park, right?” she asked and the woman nodded. “Come in,” she said as she entered the home, Minseul and Yixing trailing behind her. “The kids are out so we can talk until I have to fetch them from school,” Mrs. Park said with a sad smile.

“Are you emotionally stable to answer our questions, Ma’am?” Yixing asked, preparing his pen and paper. Mrs. Park nodded. “I’m ready,” she breathed in. Yixing nodded at Minseul and she began to ask all kinds of questions like what kind of life Jeong-su lived before working as a manager and what kind of relationship did he have with his brother.

After about an hour, Mrs. Park told the two that she has to fetch her children from school and that ended the interview. But before they left, Mrs. Park handed them a feather pen which led to the confusion of the pair. “Why?” Minseul asked, furrowing her eyebrows. “Jeong-su always hid that from me and I think his brother also has something like this. I think this’ll help you,” she said with a bitter smile.

“I know that Jae-sang might’ve deserved this kind of death but I still hope you find whoever made him go further than he usually does. Every killer will have his own limelight after all and I think that’s what they want, isn’t it?”

Minseul was shocked to hear this from Mrs. Park’s mouth, seeing her gentle character. “I was a psychologist before marrying Jeong-su, don’t get shocked. If you want any help or if you have any clues to who killed my husband, I’ll be staying here,” she said urgently and Yixing nodded. “Glad we could have you, Mrs. Park,” he said.

After saying their goodbyes, Yixing and Minseul decided to discuss matters with each other in the library where Yixing usually makes his presentations. “What do you think?” Yixing asked. Minseul bit her lower lip. “Then we’re sure about it,” she said, closing her eyes for a moment.

“Jae-sang killed Mr. Kim’s father, along with other seniors and es. Go further, by what Mrs. Park said, Jae-sang used to kill only es. That’s also according to Jeong-su’s story. He lures victims into that motel and kill them,” she explained, forming a thin line. “And recently, he has also been killing seniors, people who are the complete opposites of his main targets,” she continued.

“Take note of everything I’ll say, Mr. Zhang, and report this to Mr. Kim.”

Chanyeol figured he could visit an old friend of his. Since Chanyeol went to the western part of the world, he hasn’t made contact with this person. He heard he became a therapist to the people who experienced traumas, especially ually related and violence related traumas.

He found himself outside of his clinic and a client just went out of his office. As he peeped into the window on the door, he could see his friend in his white lab gown. It only exposed how dark he is though. He was writing something on the paper that was on his lap as he crossed his legs. He was also wearing glasses, unlike how Chanyeol last saw him.

Chanyeol knocked the door thrice before opening the door, exposing his presence. “Jong-in? Remember me?” He said with a wide grin. Jong-in slowly lifted his head and then smiled when he recognized the familiar face. “Ah, hyung, long time no see,” he greeted, gesturing to the sofa where his clients usually sit on.

“I was hoping if you can help me with this certain female I’m working with. She hates men and it’s not because she was harassed or anything. So, can you help an old buddy?”