Figuring It Out

May I Mark Your Heart?

Today, the co-workers decided to have an evening out by the lake for a barbecue. The weather was cool with te perfect temperature to be out. It was a relaxing break to have us all out of the offices and simply enjoy the simple things witohut worrying over papers and meetings. I arrived at the right call time, but only a few were there, even Mark wasn't there yet. Everyone seemed to have taken their time since it wasn't work. There was no rush. The spare time I had, I thought about the talks Mark and I shared the other day. I felt uneased with some of the things I said. As much as I wanted to be honest with him on somethings, I wasn't. As long as he doesn't know, he'll never know. I just hope that some of the things I said won't turn back on me. It's difficult to pour out all the truth to someone I've only known for a while. Pushing it all aside, I heard Mark's voice.

"You're here quite early." He handed me a fruit juice that was held in a glass bottle. He also had one for himself.

I reached for the offered drink and took a sip. "Too early that you're late."

He sat with me on the wooden table as we watched into the distance seeing some of our co-workers taking on boat rides. Most had left us to watch the meat that were still grilling. I didn't mind staying behind. It was better to just be alone for a day off today. Mark was awkwardly quiet today and I can't pinpoint why. It wasn't like we did anything wrong. It could be he only has a lot on mind about work. Being one of the big figures in the workplace isn't easy sometimes.

"Would you relax? Stop thinking about work." I chimed into his thought as if I knew what he was thinking when really I didn't.

His eyes wondered to me. "I'm not."

That was literally the shortest answer I've ever received from him ever since we met. Something was definitely up. "Then if you don;t mind sharing, what are you thinking so hard about?"

"You won't get it."

"Okay, Tuan. I won't push it."

"Tuan?" He finally revealed a grin. "Is that like my pet name now?"

"No, it's not. It's your last name." I played it off cooly. It slipped out unknowingly.

And then again, he zoned back into whatever thought he was weaving inside that brain of his. I want to know, but he's so stubborn to tell. I thought we had a strong enough friendship to express ourselves, but I guess I thought too much into it. I became silent too and when back to thinking about some of the lies I had told him the other evening. Guilt craweled up my spine, pinching me. I was flipping the patties placed on my grill and suddenly I heard a yelp from beside me. My thought was lost and all I could focus on was Mark who stood next to me with his right hand curled up against his chest.

"Mark, what's wrong?!"

"I burned myself." He groaned in pain.

"Let me see." I took his hand in mine to examine it closely. "How did this happen?"

"I wasn't paying attention and my palm rested against the grill," he explained.

The bottom part of his palm was red and beginning to look irritated. His eyes winced, his ears a shade of pink at the hot contact. Holding his hand, I led him to where I had placed my bag. He looked confused, but followed along.

"Open your palm," I ordered.

I took out my first-aid kit bag and opened the burn ointment I had. I spread some across his burn and blew on it after seeing his eyes squint from the sting. After letting it dry a bit, I wrapped his hand with the gauze that I had. Pinning it place, I let go of his hand, putting back my belongings in their rightful place.

----

Mark watched the girl aid him. It was so attractive in his eyes. A girl who could grill and then save him was like a superwoman. He couldn't help but stare at her every move. She knew what she was doing at that was indeed, intriguing to watch. His observant led him to forget about the burn the girl was treating. His heart did a couple jumps, pumping blood to his cheeks and ears.

"Nurse, will I live?" He teased, earning rolled eyes by May.

"You have time to joke about this? It could've been worse if you didn't move your hand fast enough." May pouted.

Mark smiled sincerely at the caring person May was. "But, i did. Plus, I have you to help."

"And what if I wasn't here to help, Tuan? You'd probably forget your hand is burning."

"But you are here," Mark winked.

No matter how hard May was trying to make him understand that the situation could've been worse, he just didn't grasp it. "I'm saying, 'what if'."

Mark held onto her hand that was on his, "There is no 'what if' in my book if it didn't happen."

May shrugged in defeat, losing to get her point across to Mark. He understood what she was implying, but he wanted to get under her skin to see how irritating he could be to her. It was somewhat fun to fool her. She got up to return to the grill, but she didn't make it quite far until Mark pulled her to him, face to face. He understood that he had pulled her a bit too close, closer than he had intended. He whispered, "Thank you."

----

Mark inched closer to me whispering his thankful mood. I nodded, not being able to say a word because he had knocked the air out of my lungs with his distance. "It's fine, Mark."

 

Then, it happened. I felt his lips touch mine meekly. After determining that I hadn't parted from him, he placed on more pressure.I was still as a stick, trying to progress what he just did and why I didn't move away. Did I want it too or was I just too lost to act? I couldn't find my reason. I saw that his eyes had closed in the process and I decided to close mine too. Maybe I'd feel the magic. Maybe this will confirm if I had feelings for him. It was as if I've forgotten to breathe until I heard whistles and cheers. We had pulled apart to see some of the workers lifting their drinks, waving at us. This was unplanned for. I hid my face to wipe away the smile that was fighting to show. Mark on the other hand, was as red as ever. He bit his lips with the way he always did. I found my heart increasing its pace and that's when I knew...I like him.

 

 

 

Everything went back to normal soon after. Mark had gone off somewhere and I was left alone sitting at the table since all the meat were cooked by now. I couldn't stop thinking about earlier. The way he leaned in so naturally, so boldly. He just invaded my lips and personal space as if it all belonged to him.

"May, I'm sorry for...um....earlier." He had come back after walking off.

"I take it as your unique way of saying thank you, but you know Mark, you can't go kissing every girl when they do something nice for you." I attempted removing the awkwardness that I still felt.

He didn't answer me. Instead, I found myself being dragged by Mark to where the cars were parked, his car to be exact. He rested my back against his driver side door with both arms locking beside me. His eyes examined our coast to make sure it was clear. Once it was, he removed his arms from trapping me and stuck both hands into his pocket.

"May, it wasn't a way of saying thank you. It was a way of saying... I like you."

I was so happy to hear him say that. My heart nearly popped out of my chest. I combed the falling strands of my hair behind my ear. The only think I uttered was his name. Though he had confessed, I still felt the guilt I've been feeling for not telling him the full truth of my life, my family. Because of that, I couldn't directly mention to him that I also liked him.

----

The words he's been wanting to say finally came out. It took a lot from Mark to admit, but he couldn't help himself. Saying he liked her was like the light at the end of the tunnel. He was about to kiss her again, but this time he asked, "May I kiss you?"

"Tuan, that makes a very good pun." May pointed out. Mark bit is bottom lip ever so attractively like always. "Yes, Tuan. You may kiss me. Thank you for asking."

With that, Mark took on the move. Everything on both their minds were washed away as they connected their lips. This time, there were no confusing sparks in between them.

 

 

 

----

The thick, awkward air was no longer present between Mark and I ever since our confession. I've never told him that I liked him, but I hope he figured that my permission for him to kiss me at the lake was the sign that I do. It was strange to think that he had confessed, but hasn't asked me to actually claim the name of his girlfriend when I actually thought I was since he confessed. That was the only confusion in the midst of it all. I exclude that thought out most of the time it crept in, but during my free time, I find myself wondering who I really was to him. Sitting in my own world, I find Kimberly interrupting me.

"Mark is only playing with you." She folded her arms as if she was mocking me.

"What?"

"I saw the kiss and heard the confession." She twirled a strand of hair with her finger, snapping her gum. "That's exactly what he did to his ex."

"Who's...who's his ex?" I regretted asking Kimberly, the person I least trust about Mark's past when I could just ask him myself.

"That's not the problem, but you better be careful with Mark. He appears professional and sweet, but he's like a leech that everything out of you until you have nothing left then leaves you." She puffed with hatred.

"Whatever it is, if Mark finds it important to tell me, he will himself," I spoke calmly.

"He'll never tell you anything he doesn't want you to know. Plus, he hasn't even given you the proper claim as his girlfriend; therefore, you are pretty much nothing to him."

That saying really hit me in the throat. What Kimberly had to say was true. Why was I so trusting of Mark when all he said was that he liked me. He didn't even ask me to be his girlfriend so as of now, I'm only the girl he likes and nothing more or less. Though everyone seems to think we are already a couple, between Mark and I, we aren't. There was no official ask or confirmation. We were still acting in front of others.

Author's Note: Here's an update after the wait! Summer is here, so I'm ready to work hard and update as much as possible. Now, finally Mark has confessed, but of course it isn't 'happily ever after' yet, so continue to read the upcoming chapters as well. At least you all know now that they at least like each other. That's a step to somewhere, but not the end. Enjoy and write down your thoughts below, please! Thank you! <3