Overwhelmed

May I Mark Your Heart?

It was the hour after work and mostly everyone was already clearing their way out. Mark was known to clock out of work early for a meeting, but a shadow could be seen in his office. May was one of the last ones to go home, but she took notice of the disguised body structure. She thought it was Mark who probably came back for something he forgot, so she let him be.

----

"Hey May, by any chance, did you see Kimberly here?" I met with Mark in the parking lot.

"Wait, weren't you just up there—" I tried to recall if I was hallucinating earlier or not.

"No, I just came back from my meeting." His brows furrowed at my saying. "Did you see Kim though?"

"Uh, no. I didn't." I peeked at my watch, "Well, see you tomorrow."

----

The setting at work was constant with nothing very new. Days flow by and workers do their job. Mark, on the other hand, fumbled around his desk area. He rummaged through the drawers, frantically looking for something specific. With his tie a bit loose and dress shirt out of place, he ran his hands through his hair.

"What the heck happened to them? I put them here somewhere." He spoke to himself, tracing his every move once again.

 

 

While Mark was stressing himself, May saw her desk a bit out of place. She has a distinguishable way of organizing her area, but something felt odd. Her desk seemed to have been touched by other hands that weren't her own. Maybe it was just the evening janitor that came around to clean, or so she thought.

"May, can I see you for a bit." Mark's statement was more of a demand.

----

We were in his office. This time, I didn't have a clue why. "Yes?"

He looked flustered and out of place. "Look, this might sound ridiculous but....I lost your notes. I don't know where they are."

A sly smile eased its way to my lips and I totally disregarded his sentence. "You kept my notes?" Realizing my reaction, I wiped off my smile, still smiling inside.

"Y—yeah. I mean I keep notes." He tried to not sound like it was so wrong. "Anyways, I need help finding them."

"This has nothing to do with work so I'm leaving. You can look for them yourself. If you really need my help, wait till the after hour or something." I was strict when it came to work. I didn't want to be sidetracked.

"Please." He gripped my wrist and my hip nudged into the corner of his desk and I whimpered.

"Ow." I grumbled.

"Are you okay?!" His free hand held onto my injured hip as the other still locked itself around my wrist. We were too close to the point that if anyone barged in right now, it'll totally be interpreted badly. 


I rested my hand that was out of his grasp upon his veiny, mascular one that didn't let go of my side, pushing it away. "Mark, I'm fine. Let go."


Just then, the doorknob turned. Mark didn't obey my request and once the door propped open, the person at the door froze a bit, but didn't look bothered. It was Kimberly. It was as if she was waiting for this moment to happen to catch me red-handed and add more to whatever story she was desiring to narrate. 

"Hopefully, I didn't bother you two." She folder her arm across her chest and made her comfortable on a nearly chair.

Mark removed his contact and I could see that he rolled his eyes.

"Excuse me." I paced out rather quickly.

----

Mark's messy look and the state Kimberly caught May and him in just made her furious inside. Plus, it'd make a great story as well. It seems that the truth of them seeing each other was revealing rather smoothly in her mind.

After seeing Mark for whatever reason, she stopped by May like all the other times just to say some more offending words.

"Looks like I don't have to make up a story after all. It seems I only need to add to one."

"There's nothing between us." May lowly said. She was a bit taken aback to hear herself finally answer Kimberly.

"Whatever." She smirked. She bent lower to May's ear. "I got my hands on the notes already....just incase you're wondering." She winked.

---- 

I couldn't breathe after hearing that. I wanted to tell Mark immediately, but I know I couldn't or shouldn't. This whole thing would blow and cause a scene about such a dumb, childish purpose. Though that was the case, I had to at least hint something to Mark. I met him in his office.

"Mark, stop looking for the notes." It was obvious he still looked for them.

"You know something about them, don't you?" His quick question was astonishing.

"No." I shook my head. "But I know there's no use in looking. They're gone."

Suddenly, it triggered my mind. What about his notes that I also kept?! Oh no! Maybe that's why my desk looked off. Kimberly went through my stuff. I sprinted back to my cubicle and I knew I left Mark in an uneasy state because I felt his footsteps behind mine. Luckily it was lunch break and the rest had gone out or else they'd question us.

As I made it to my desk, I plopped done in my rolling chair and pulled at every drawer. "Oh sh—"

"What's wrong? Why'd you run out?" Mark was trying to steady his breathing.

If he was going to ask me again, I'd burst into a cry because I was already tilting my head back trying to not let my tears be seen. We were going to face the consequences if Kimberly really turns us in. I was crying because I didn't want anything horrible to happen. I didn't want to lose my job and I didn't want Mark to either. I was just overwhelmed by the junk Kimberly was piling on me. I've done nothing against her to deserve her ridiculous treatment. As much as I was upset, I was mad. I'm not typically one to dislike or show anger, but Kimberly was really pushing my limit.

"Nothing...it's nothing..." I tried to remain calm. I didn't want him to know that I also kept his notes. Even worse, I didn't want him to have the idea that I also lost them.

It was too late. Mark was too critically smart. "Did you keep my notes...too?"

I couldn't lie. He knew too well. I didn't say a word. I kept quiet, hoping he knew my answer without me having to say it.

His next question, "Did they disappear...too?" His hands were on both my arms.

I still didn't say anything and it was then confirmed that what he said was true. It grew more suspicious.

"She's out to get us." I whispered and raindrops came down my cheeks, painting trails.

It was as if Mark knew who, but he didn't want to put blame just yet.