Like a Friend

May I Mark Your Heart?

My first paycheck, I gave to my parents to pay for the bills. As the only child, I wanted to be as helpful as I can and I thought giving away my first check would be quite special. Another morning came which meant another day at work.

I was getting on the elevator to go up and through the closing crack, I saw a female speeding to get through, I pressed the open button fast so that she could possibly make it inside. With her heels, she stumbled in messily.

"Are you alright?" I questioned. I haven't seen her ever, so I assumed she was new.

"I'm fine, thank you." 

She patted her blouse and skirt down, standing tall in her cute wedges. She was gorgeous like a model. Her pale, acne-free skin looked well with her natural rosy cheeks. Her lips were thin, but plump enough to display the lipgloss on it. Her brown eyes were big and beautiful with long lashes that complimented them. Slim and tall, she wouldn't just stop men in their tracks, but women as well in a way of admiration.

We both got off the elevator together. I let her exit first. We seem to be going the same way as well, but as I turned into my area, she kept walking straight to Mark's destination. The workers smiled and bowed to her from wherever distance they were. She must be a goddess or something, I thought.

Minutes after, I logged onto my computer to reply to emails and examine other paperwork. Typing away, I saw a figure standing in my peripheral vision. It was Mark who came by.

"May, may I see you in the office for a bit?"

I puffed out my cheeks, "Sure."

 

The door closed behind me and Mark made his way forward. We weren't alone though. The woman earlier in the elevator was in there too, standing next to him with her tablet.

"May, I'd like you to meet Kimberly. She's my secretary. Kimberly, this is May, our new interior designer." Mark introduced us casually.

"Nice to meet you, Kimberly." I gleamed at the young woman.

"My pleasure. I heard you're in charge with Mark about the upcoming assignment." Her thin, plump lips grinned at me.

"Yes, I promise to do my best."

Mark leaned on his desk, "I would've introduced you to Kimberly sooner, but she was on vacation." He definitely answered my inner question to why I haven't seen her around ever.

"Can I see how the planning is coming along?" Kimberly asked.

"Yes, of course. I'll go fetch it right now." I paced back out to retrieve the folder.

----
"What do you think of her?" Mark blankly asked Kimberly.

"She's okay. I still need to get to know her." She twirled her pen in her hand.

"Promise me you won't be too harsh on her. Our other designers left because you were just too much to handle."

"I was only being too much cause they all seemed to only want to handle you and not their job." Kimberly glared at Mark then rolled her eyes.

Mark was a bit irritated, "They were married for God's sake."

Kimberly scoffed, "And is this May girl married?"

"No."

"Exactly why I need to be more harsh on her." A little evil laugh escaped from her."

Then the door slowly opened.

----

I slowly crept in with the folder in my hand and both Mark and Kimberly looked flustered. Well, mostly Mark. It's as if they stopped chatting in the middle of a conversation. I made my way over and handed the folder for Kimberly to look through. She had a lot of questions that I weren't expecting to answer, but to my opinion, I answered well. It seems that every time her questions flew out, Mark wanted to answer but whenever he tried, it looked like Kimberly shot glares at him. This was part of his work too so I couldn't understand why he didn't jump into the conversation once.

Kimberly's hand phone rang. Was it wrong to be thankful? I was just drained from the nonstop talking. Since I didn't have breakfast either, that fed to my weary soul. She left he room to take the call. I could hear Mark take a breath as if he no longer suffocated. He looked to his phone after pressing the side bottom. I see him glance at the time. Just then, my stomach rumbled and I couldn't hide away the embarrassment.

"I will go now—" I tried to excuse myself.

"Let's grab lunch together. I am pretty hungry too and 11:30 seems about right for lunch."

"11:30 already?" 

Mark gave me a 'I know right?' look.

"Did we talk that long?" I whispered under my breath referring to Kimberly and I.

Again, I think I embarrassed myself because Mark let out hiccups of a soft, short laughter. He wasn't suppose to hear that either.

"I almost fell asleep while she kept talking. Good thing I didn't or else I'll wake up to one of your notes again." 

That instant, I knew what he was talking about. It was my note I left him last time when he fell asleep while working on the project.

He stood up and slipped in his phone, wallet, and keys. "Let's hurry before she comes back."

It was a bit questioning how Mark wanted to avoid Kimberly. I mean, don't they work together everyday?
There's no point or way to escape each other.

----

Mark and May were in the parking garage of the building. Mark offered to be the driver since they were off to the same place, but May refused kindly, stating that she had to make a stop at home after. Truthfully though, she wanted to stay away from being seen negatively by workers or people that knew them. Things can go wrong in many ways.

----

A little sandwich shop was where we met. It was a place for something light and satisfying. Mark and I engaged in conversations that were a bit odd, but interesting. I totally saw a different side of Mark. He wasn't the chairman Mark. He was just Mark.

"What'd you think if the sky was pink instead?" Mark asked.

I thought about it logically. "It would be normal and we would ask what we'd think if the sky was blue instead."

He presented another random topic. "I wish I was a rock sometimes."

"Whys that?"

"Because they don't age."

"Actually, they do. I remember learning that rocks have layers and each layer represents a year." I took a bite into my sandwich afterwards.

Mark shushed and I looked at him to only find him looking at me. I shifted my head from side to side to see if he would remove his gaze, but my movement didn't make him budge. He stared blankly at me, still blinking. On his face a corner smile could be visible through a magnifier. He then peered down to his sandwich and ate too.

----

To Mark, he was just so intrigued with May's answers to his random questions. She had the right words to say and each of them actually made sense to him. Through their little conversation, he knew he liked her, not as someone to date or marry, but as a person, a friend. Her character made him feel safe, like a friend would make him feel.