False Statement

May I Mark Your Heart?

As we continued to meet for the project, I told him we couldn't meet alone anymore. It wouldn't look right. It took a couple persuasions, but in the end, I won.

"By any chance, are you courting or talking to anyone right now?" Mark interrupted my train of thought while filing papers.

I shook my head. "Nope. Not interested."

"Well, I am."

"In what?"

Mark boldly replied, "You."

It came out so quick and smooth that I almost didn't catch it. Was he admitting his interest in me? 

"Me, what?" I stopped with the papers.

"You're interesting and I'm interested.......in getting to know you better, that is." He clarified.

Well, he came at the confession differently than the cliche way. I couldn't formulate any words. I looked at him then back to the white stack.

"Let's have dinner with my parents tonight." Mark suggested.

"That's too sudden." I finally said. "I didn't even say if I was interested either."

Mark smirked, "I don't think there's a problem in getting to know one another beyond work, is there?"

He had a reason. "I suppose not, but don't have your hopes up." 

"So then we can hang out outside of work?"

"Hangout with friends, yes. If you're referring to only us, I'll have to think about it." I wanted to play it safe.

Mark may have the slightest feelings for me, but I wasn't ready for any relationship so I guarded my heart. Mark wasn't going to buzz into my personal life that quick just yet. He's going to have to work his way in. I'm not an easy girl whatsoever.

"Would it count if it's just us but we are out in public?"

"You never stop suggesting until you get your way, am I right?"

He nodded with a shy smile, "Partially. Mostly. I don't like giving up."

It then occurred to me that this wasn't a great plan after all. I mean, Kimberly would nail us to the ground once she finds out about this whole 'interest' deal. I had to mention it and when I did, Mark gave me an annoyed look. It wasn't towards me, but the fact of Kimberly.

"Why'd you have to kill the mood with bringing her up?"

I shrugged, "It's true. Let's be safe than sorry."

----

May doesn't have any feeling towards Mark whatsoever. She was too intertwine with work and the fear of Mark's secretary. In the beginning, she did fall for Mark's swaying poetic words, but it wasn't powerful enough to sweep her off her feet. May believes in patience and the need to not involve herself with any man until it feels right and worthwhile. Mark was just some chairman who she worked with.


Mark wouldn't claim to have fallen head over heels for May, but his heart tugged a bit each time around her. There was this glow to her that was impossible not to see. He could see she's not one to easily please or shake and that added to his interest. Unsure if she's someone to really invest in fully, but he knew he had secrets if it came down to moving forward with this acquaintance friendship of theirs.

 

Additionally to Kimberly's plan, she was about ready to unleash her revenge. She held something strongly against Mark, but didn't want to really hurt him directly; therefore, her first aim is May. Ready or not, she was about to reveal and ugly lie.

----

"Mr. Chang, I have to talk to you about something important." Kimberly sat across of the CEO's desk.

"Yes, Kimberly. What is it?"

"This can be a really bad reputation for the corporation if you don't take action quick." She addressed. "The chairman and the interior designer are both secretly meeting."

Mr. Chang's eyes literally came out of their sockets, picturing the worst. "You mean Mark and May.....?"

 Kimberly knew exactly what was on his mind. "Sir, they are secretly seeing one another and it's unhealthy for the work environment."

"Miss Kimberly, this is part of their private life." He kindly reasoned.

They young lady wasn't about to give up. She wanted to get her point across. "You must address this matter with them. It leaves me uncomfortable. They even sneak in these notes to one another. It's disgusting and ridiculous. I even walked in on them kissing." She spoke all in one go. "Sir, they've involved their personal life in work and it's very unprofessional."

She placed the note cards on his desk to testify her proof. Mr. Chang looked through each one, a bit alarmed that what Kimberly said was true.

"I understand. I will talk with them as soon as I can."

"Thank you." As soon as she turned her back, that little devil inside of her cracked a smile.


----

Recalling the last time Mr. Chang called me in regarding my raise, he had called me in to meet again. This time though, I wasn't alone. He had called in Mark too. I was nervous, but I doubted that Kimberly had said a thing. I only took her words lightly since the last time she spat her words at me. Lately, nothing has happened so I kind of had the assumption that maybe this little war was over. Still, I was nervous going in to see the CEO with Mark.

I fumbled my thumbs in the elevator.

"Why are you so anxious? Calm down, would you?" He read me so well.

"I don't know. It's not a good feeling."

"We'll be fine." His hand naturally slid into mine and it threw me off the track. What in the world? He gave my hand a squeeze.

I looked down to our hands and took back mine. I can't lie, I felt a twist in my stomach. Mark was so initiative nowadays that it was all just too much.

 

 

"Hello there. Mark. May." Mr. Change stood from his seat as he spun the mini-globe next to his laptop.

Mark greeted and so did I. He glanced at us suspiciously.

"How's the project coming along?" He asked openly.

"Great." I hear Mark say. "May's been working hard on it."

Inwardly, I thanked Mark for such a compliment. Mr. Chang shifted to me as if he was waiting for my input. "We're almost done. The partnership is going well."

"Good," was all he said. I felt relieved knowing it was only about the assignment. I felt a wave of happiness shoot fireworks inside of me.


His next words were, "So can either of you, or even better, the both of you explain to me about these?" His right hand slipped into his pocket to identify the colorful notecards that look all too familiar to Mark and I. I cursed at the scene. To my own conscious, of course.

I couldn't answer him. I felt like I was going to turn into a crybaby at any moment right now. Mark was also quiet and I looked to him for guidance to see if he had any say in this. He stared at the stack of notes then back to his feet. "Sir, those are our notes......"

"Of course they are that's why I called you guys in to clarify and justify." He paced the office casually. "Tell me how long has this been going on?"

"A month or two ago." Mark said.

"It's a big misunderstanding, sir." I nervously trembled. "Mark and I only share those words as a way of expression."

"Towards one another?" He pushed another question.

"No—" I paused after hearing Mark.

"Yes. We like one another." There was a break. "We hope you would support and approve of us as well." Shut the front door on Mark. What was this guy thinking?! We were already sitting in the hot lot, bowling to death and he's over here admitting like it was the truth. I was ready to lash out on him. I swear, the minute we leave this office, he's going to hear from me.

Mr. Chang's eyes polished over our figures. "Alright. That's all I wanted. Honesty. Now you two, don't let things entangle with work. It'll give not only you both, but the whole corporation a bad name, you hear?"

I didn't nod, but Mark did and that seemed to be enough satisfaction to the CEO.

----

Mark walked out freely and carelessly, but May was heaving with fire.

"What the hell, Mark?!" She grumbled at him in the elevator.

"What?" He acted cooly and it ticked may off even more.

"Why did you admit it back there?! Goodness, I hate you so much." She threw her hands up furiously.

"He would continue questioning us if we kept denying so you should thank me for saving our butts." Mark retorted in a manner as if he was the hero.

"I don't care. I rather have him know the truth!"

"Too late now." He walked out like it was no big deal.

----

Mark Tuan is going to get so much crap from me now on. It's as if the CEO announced our so called 'relationship' to the whole department cause everyone whistled and winked at me whenever  I was present. It's been a week since we talked with Mr. Chang. I really hate Mark. So much.

"This is all your fault. Eyes are on me 24/7." I spoke through my teeth as I pressed the pencil in my hand to outline the drawings of the project.

"You should take pride in having me." He teased so annoying.

"Don't kid yourself. I don't even want you."

"Yet, but you will." His arm crept over my shoulder and I shrugged away.

"Mark Tuan, keep a distance from me or else I'll end up chopping your arm off. Don't underestimate me."

----

Mark didn't have a regret in admitting May is his although it's totally not official between them. He was a bit happy to actually hear that people took notice of them as if they were a real couple on the rise. Knowing in other peoples' minds they were official, was good enough for the time being. He realizes that this is the happiest he's been in a long while since his last relationship.


In May's situation, she's never dated so this was all too new and surreal. Though she really isn't in any way, shape or form, in a relationship with Mark, the looks and whispers by everyone reminded her why she never dated in the first place. She disliked being in the center of attention and hearing her name be passed around even if it's with positive intentions. May isn't use to this kind of thing.

----

Apparently, Mark and I are dating. Everyone thinks so and even Mark acts like we are. I'm here burning in hot water, praying this'll end soon.

----

 

 

The way things turned out made Kimberly blow up. She didn't know everyone would be so supportive of
Mark and May. Her goal was to knock them down, but instead, she seemed to have only uplifted the situation positively.