Notes

May I Mark Your Heart?

It wasn't until after a week that I began to take notice that Mark now arrives to work around the same time as me. He also parks close by now. If he didn't park next to me, he at least parked two cars down only.

"May, good morning." We walked side by side.

"Morning." I sauntered at a faster speed just to be stopped by Mark. He didn't grab my wrist, but his fingers did graze upon it.

"Is there something wrong? Why are you so in a rush?"

My hair had fallen a bit towards my face and I pushed it back. "I have a meeting to get to and I don't want to be late."

He laughed at me. Something about his laugh made me smile along with it confusingly. "Have you forgotten who manages the meeting?" He points to himself. "I'll make sure you'll get there on time. With me, you'll always be on time." 

Mark surely takes advantage of him being the chairman. He was right though, but still. I didn't want to seem like I could just come in late to work or a meeting whenever I wanted if I was with Mark. It'd be unfair to the rest.

----

Whenever at work or in a one-on-one work with Mark, May finds herself being cautious now. Mark was being too nice to the point that she felt awkward at times. It was another day after work that May stayed back to sketch the museum project with Mark.

"I like the pillar to be here instead." Mark pouted with disapproval.

"It wouldn't look symmetrical though. There has to be a pillar here to balance out."

They fussed over a couple things here and there, but managed to get through. Mark usually got his way though.

"Change this. Change that too. I don't like it. It has to be like this." The man was just being too picky that it sent May over the edge. She just wanted to throw the drawings all away.

May heaved, trying to hide away her irritation and annoyance. She began erasing, but then his hand stopped her.

"Are you mad at me?" The body that sat next to May's questioned somewhat sincerely.

"I'm not." She cooly answered without an expression at him.

----

Who would've thought Mark would be this annoying. Seriously, I just wanted to go home and sleep. He had stopped my hand from erasing to question my mood. Of course I denied my madness because I wasn't really mad. I was just irritated by him. Each time I scribbled or erased, my hair would find their way to glue onto my face. It was such a big distraction that it added to my irritation. I attempted to not show too much of this side to Mark since he was still the chairman, but I couldn't help it. I would sweep up my hair just for it to fall back into a mess.

The next thing that happened sent shivers down my spine, but not enough to make me blush out of affection but more of confusion. His hand now brushed my hair back and I immediately looked at him for doing such an action. It was silent though and I could tell he jolted slightly, almost as if he was shocked himself for doing so. Mark sat next to me and looking at him, I just realized we were a bit too close, but since I have no feelings for him, I looked past the awkwardness.

"Sorry I—"

"It's fine. It was probably bothering you too." I responded as I reached into my purse to grab my hair clip. In the process, it slipped through my fingers. I was about to bend down to retrieve it, but Mark had bent down before to get it. I bumped into his head as he rolled his chair back. It was a fail and I winced at the impact.  In that timing, I heard a series of cracks from below. I examined to see what it was. It turned out Mark's chair had accidentally rolled over my hair clip. Great.

"I'm so sorry, May—"

I waved my hand up to stop him from speaking. "It's fine. Let's just finish this up." I scooted back near the table to the papers and pencil. 

"No, it's not fine. I've been a hard-headed jerk."

Thank you for admitting. "It's not that. You're just suggestive and demanding, but I can work with that." I erased and drew without sparing him a glance.

"Sorry."

"Please." I dropped the pencil down. "Stop saying that. Save that for your girlfriend of something. I know how to forgive, you know?" I chirped a sarcastic, one syllable laugh.

----

Two hours passed and Mark excused himself to go to the staff lounge to grab two cups of coffee. May had stopped her work and her head began nodding with her eyes closed and soon enough, she was out like a dead lightbulb. She was drained to her limit.

"I have your coffee—" Mark sees May's head lean gracefully on her folded arms that rested on the table. "I guess it's now your turn to sleep." He whispered to himself.

Placing the coffees on the table, he started to slip in the papers into her folder. While placing them neatly in, he finds a note that May had written on a piece of sticky note.

I want to love a man who I cannot put into words how much I love him. I want to love him today, tomorrow, and every single day after that, endlessly beyond our lives and into the next, until forever can not define itself.

Mark finds himself smiling at the slip. He leers at May's peaceful face and wonders about the countless thought that her beautiful mind weaves. He wants to know more about this girl. He wants to know everything inside the outlines of this woman who was sleeping in his office. After a long stare, he snuck in a couple words on a notecard too.

"May, wake up. Let's call it a day."

----

I got home to find my parents eating some Chinese take-out. I greeted them and went straight to my room to relax in a pair of comfortable clothes. I took out my work to find if everything was there since I didn't quite trust Mark since he could be a bit disorganize. Hence, that's why he has a secretary. As I checked everything, I found a note that I surely didn't write. Mine was gone, but the one that now took its place read:

I want to love a woman so much that I would not know how to tell her without it sounding inconsequential compared to how I really feel. I want to love her to the point that everything would be pointless if she is not part of me.


I bit my bottom lip at how romantic that sounded. Goodness. I believe I just died.