Resignation

May I Mark Your Heart?

Yep, this was it. The end.

 
I came into Pro-Designs Corporation with confidence that I was going to finally make a stable living, but here I was, with a sealed envelope that held my resignation letter. I had to do this. There wasn't room for a relationship and thinking that Mark had the power to almost take that place was too bizarre. He was the chairman of the company with a wealthy family background and for either of us to fall for each other was too mind-blowing. I didn't want to go through the heartache and heartbreak, though I've already dug myself halfway there. It was better to cut it all now.
 
"Tina, can you please give this to Mr. Tuan once he's in?" Tina was a well-trusted worker so I had given her the job to deliver it to Mark. Mr. Chang already knew of my leave since I had discussed it with him beforehand. He worked closely with Mark's father who was the man behind the scenes.
 
"You mean your boyfriend?"
 
I darted my eyes at her, "Please, don't say such false things."
 
She shrugged. "Sure. What is it?" Tina sipped on her coffee as she held the envelope in her free hand.
 
"My resignation."
 
She almost spit the warm liquid at me. "Your resignation—!"
 
"Shhhhh!" I hushed her quickly, thankfully there weren't many workers in yet. "It's private matters that no one needs to know."
 
"But they'll eventually know." She argued.
 
"I rather have them know after I leave than now and get questioned or assumed." I reasoned.
 
"So, you're leaving today and Mr. Tuan doesn't even know?"
 
I bit the corner of my upper lip and gave her a nervous smile as I shook my head. "No."
 
"What?! May Wan?! Are you FREAKEN out of your damn mind?! He's going to flip!"
 
"At least I won't be here to hear him, right?" I nervously chuckle knowing it wouldn't be good either way, but this was the best choice than face him full on with the situation especially since we haven't talked in weeks after the incident in front of my doorstep. "Look, please just help me out here. We aren't on good terms."
 
"Are you perhaps.....mixing work with your personal feelings?" She carefully asked. "I don't care if there's anything between you and Mark, really...but don't put it out on work." She sounded awfully sad. "You are one of the best secretaries Mark has ever had and I'm not surprised to say if he ever found you likable. You stuck around even after meeting Kimberly. That's some sort of victory, I'd tell you."
 
I felt a bit lighter to hear that, but the decision I made was already given. "Thank you for always looking out for me, Tina. Unfortunately, this is best. I hate to say that I'm leaving the good people like you behind when all I want is to just leave the bad ones."
 
 
I went over to my desk and cleared my pens, folders, and paper holders. I fumbled through the drawers and found the stack of notes stored far in the left corner. I flipped through them and a hint of bitter happiness flowed through my fingers. As I was about to send them into the trash bin, I held back. I decided to write my last note and attach it to all of his that I kept. Together, I snuck them into the envelope on Tina's desk. It was only right that I return them all to the writer.
 
Author's Note: I finally found time to squeeze in an update! It's a short chapter, but the next chapter, which could possibly be the last, will be longer with full details. Please anticipate it! Thank you for standing by me all this time my 70V3LY readers! Much love. <3