Act

May I Mark Your Heart?

The lie stuck on us. Mark didn't want to end the idea of us dating whereas I did, but I didn't know how. The dating scene looked real through the observing eyes around us. I felt miserable to suddenly be claimed as someone's and not my own. Hence, I've never dated so go figure why I feel so strange with this new title as Mark's girlfriend. Some were impressed, others were shocked. Work carried on even though Mark would appear to be much closer and friendlier to me than ever. He was caring, too caring. He began to talk to me as if I was his pet.

"Hey sweetie, hurry with your work so we can go for lunch." Mark marched to my desk and sat by the empty chair close by. He promped his hand under his chin and lazily stared.

"Mark, will you stop? No one's around to care about your act." I purred as I examined the coast.

I caught his godly smile as he came in closer. "It's kind of fun to play this."

"So, dating is a game to you? I see, player."

One of Mark's eyebrows narrowed up. "Are you suggesting us to officially date?"

I smirked as I moved in closer to him. His face was priceless, as if he was buying into my seductive action. "In your dreams." I whispered pushing him to bring him out of his daze.

 

 

 

 

Clocking out of work, we headed down to the main lobby just in time to face Kimberly, the girl behind all my misfortune. Mark saw her too and avoided actually looking at her. I did the same. Mark and I was already faking this relationship and I felt I was going to have to fake liking Kimberly too. She was just too much and never in my life had I met someone so troublesome in my life. We were about to make it safe, passing by her, but she had to open to speak. We could've made it seem like we didn't hear her, but Mark had to answer back.

 

"So, you two are really dating. Hard to believe." That little sarcastic and annoying tone of hers vibrated.

Just as we were going to pass by, Mark stopped and pulled me towards him. "Yes, we are." Not only did he answered with words, he naturally laced his masculine fingers through my womanly ones. "Believe it." He raised our interlocked hands to show her as if holding wasn't enough as proof, he had to lift them into the air for display.

As much as I wanted to remove them, I didn't want to break the scene or else I'll forsure hear an earfull from Mark once we exit the building.

Kimberly secretly rolled her eyes, but I caught it. "Well...good luck with that..."

Wow, she seriously just called me that as if I wasn't human.

 

 

 

Though I was more than furious inside, I was never one who showed it in my outer layer. I kept it all within myself and let it fade after I feel that I've dwelled enough upon it. I was brought out of my trance when I felt Mark's palm wiggle against mine. Our hands were still intacked after alread fleeing the workplace. My hand was loose in his embrace, but he kept them in place. I couldn't understand why he just wouldn't let go.

"Why are you thinking so hard?"

He questioned me as if he knew what I was thinking. Being a little stubborn, I disregarded his wonder. "Let go of my hand, would you? I feel violated."

"The warmth of your hands make me feel safe. I want to hold them, cling onto them like dear life."

His poetic tone and words were beyond my expectation. I would've never expected him to speak them so openly let alone, did he actually mean that? I shrugged away my hand as I began to feel the awkwardness crawl in.

"You're good with words, I'll give you that but the only man who'll every hold my hand is the man who'll hold my heart first." I reasoned.

"I still don't see why I can't hold your hand. At least let me hold your hand if I can't hold your heart." He twisted my words then let out a light, friendly chuckle. Mark can be so loving with words and the minute I sense as if his sweet words were actual truth, he laughs and a piece of my heart drops. I don't know why my heart would take a dip, possibly because I selfishly wanted him to mean them, but why would I? They were like mix signals.

I frowned. "It doesn't work thay way."

"You're so serious. A relationship must mean so much to you."

"Of course. It's no joke when commiting yourself to someone."

"I like your way of thinking." A crease in his eyes could be scene and his deadly smile was visible. My heart took another dip and I couldn't brng myself to answer his comment. "Yours hands are comfortable though." He added.

I gave him a weird look, not knowing what he meant by that. I shook my head at his weirdness. "Friends don't hold hands, so we shouldn't."

He raised his perfect brows at me as if he was going to prove me wrong with his statement. "You're being too shallow about this, mixing friendship and relationship. Friends are able to hold hands, but I don't know why the world neglects it and view it so badly. Kids hold hands on the playground. Little innocent boys and girls hold hands all the time when they engage in friendly interactions. When you choose to view it too deeply, it becomes a problem."

I thought about what he said. What if it becomes a problem for us? What if it becomes a problem for our hearts?  "Mark, we're not kids. That's a horrible comparison."

 

 

It was then I realized we've been walking this neighorhood pavement that led us to some little shops. We've forgotten about lunch. I was no longer hungry anyways. The fresh air had filled up my empty spaces. Like kids, we've wondered off a bit too far, but it feels refreshing and nice to just be away yet we don't even know where our feet were dragging us. I was no longer hungry anyways.

----

Mark began feeling a comforting feel whenever he was with May. She illuminated him every time and it made him want to just be with her whenever he had the chance and this time, he was really going to take advantage of it. What May didn't know was that he had called off work for the rest of the day for them two. He just wanted to have the whole evening off to spend time getting to know her. He smiled to himself that the girl had forgotten about returning to work. She seemed so at ease that she clearly forgot all the things before their walk and talk. They've made a stop in front of a water fountain and sat on the cemented bench across from it.

"Let's play 20 questions. We ask 20 questions about each other and we have to answer honestly." Mark suggested and May agreed.

Questions after questions, they got to know each other's favorite hobby, color, clothing store, and the bits in between.

"What do your parents do?" May asked recalling how well-known Mark's parents were that night they attended a family business function together.

"My father retired from his position as CEO of Generation 2.0 Electronics. My mother was always a stay-home mom since my father was able to provide enough. They both now just invest in big cooperations."

Mark not only looked wealthy, he was really wealthy just by the way he explained his lifestyle with gardners and servers around his house, which is his parent's house since he moved out some years ago.

"What about your parents?"

May hestitated, but successfully hid it. "M-my father...he's an entrepreneur so he's always gone for work. My mother, uh-she....owns a clothing shop and a fashion designer." She cleared a throat as if that was the hardest thing to say.

It was May's turn to ask and she brought up Mark's past. "Have you ever dated seriously with someone who you thought meant the world to you?"

Mark arranged his response properly. "I'm not quite sure. How about you?"

"I've never been in a relationship and if I was to be in one, I'd rather be with someone with no experience like me so we can both work our way through it together."

Mark sighed and rubbed his palms together, "In that case...I-I've never been in a relationship either......but, if I say I have, what would you think of me?"

"You're a guy, it's expected for you to already be experienced. I wouldn't be surprised." May honestly stated.

The conversation elevated and it was again May's turn to ask something of her favor. She randomly asked if Mark had ever brought a girl home ever since he moved out of his parent's place. Hesitantly, Mark said no not wanting to disappoint the girl he felt his heart tugging towards. He was enjoying his time. They've both lost themselves in interest.

 

On and on, they got to know each other and at some point, they've both lied about something. Some answers were lies covered with honest faces.

 

Author's Note: I couldn't help it, so I took a break from studying to write. Alright, no more updating until school is out. I will write soon. Love you all. <3