May Meets Mark

May I Mark Your Heart?

I kissed my mom and hugged my dad goodbye for the time being. My mom prepared her fabric basket for her little, worn-down shop as my dad placed on his hat about to go to the chicken factory. I was on my way to my new job at Pro-Design Corporation. My degree in design was finally going to be useful after all. I will now have 'interior designer' attached to my name, May Wan. 

 

I was clad in a black knee-high dress with a pair of simple black heels and a diamond necklace in a shape of a heart. With my hand bag around my wrist and a white folder in hand, I entered the glass-like building, checking in at the administration desk.

"Good morning, I am May Wan, the new interior designer here." I greeted the front desk lady.

"Oh, hello there miss. Follow me right this way to the CEO's office."

My heels clicked right behind hers. She knocked before entering and I followed closely behind. In the room, there was a long, big table with about 25 chairs, probably where most meetings were held. In the corner was where the CEO's desk was.

"Hello, Miss Wan. I am happy to have you work with Pro-Design."

I was greeted and given a tour. Lastly, I ended up at my own little cubicle that will be used at my work space. It wasn't too spacious, but perfect for me.

"If you have any questions, feel free to contact Mr. Tuan who's our chairman. His office is straight ahead." The CEO directed me with his hand. He soon left back to his office.

The workers on the second floor was welcoming, greeting my existence. I felt great already. I knew I was going to love this place.

"It's your first day, so don't stress." A lean, pretty face woman approached my desk. "Would you like to file some papers with me?" Her smile was kind.

"Yes, of course." There wasn't much to do so I tagged along with her to a room filled with cabinets. I figured her name was Tina after we properly introduced ourselves. She even told me about her husband and 2 year old son. Tina made me feel comfortable. After piles of papers were sorted into their rightful place, I went to sit back down.

I tidied up my desk that wasn't much of a mess. I then heard Tina come around again to notify me that the chairman wanted to meet me. Knowing my way to his office, I walked there. I knocked politely before I entered.

"Come on in."

"Good morning, Mr. Tuan." I reached my hand to shake his and he met mines halfway.

"Call me, Mark. Mr. Tuan sounds better addressing my father." He grinned.

I nodded. "Nice to meet you, Mr.—Mark." I accidentally messed up my words. "My name is May Wan."

"I thought it'd be best to not remain strangers when we're working in the same department, so I only called you in to greet you. You may return." 

That was it? Okay, good. I thought the chairman would be aggressive in his work and intimidating, but he was none of that. He was decent looking. Handsome, but not attractive.


I walked out of the office and it looked to be that the workers on the floor stopped in motion once I exited the office. As I stepped out the door, they slowly began to move again. I was a bit lost at that rate.

"May." I hear a whisper. It was Tina calling my name from her cubicle, gesturing me to walk over to her which I did. "What do you think of chairman?"

"Mark?"

"Yes, him."

"He's not intimidating at all. He seems nice." I shrugged.

She gave me a seductive look and winked, "Okay."

"Okay?" I walked back to my desk.

----

Once May entered the floor, some of the single men fainted inside their little hearts. Some had called Mark directly to notify him about the new talk of the department since they were all great friends. Calls wouldn't end unless Mark meets the new interior designer, so he did it as a bet amongst the guys.

After seeing her, he admitted she had flawless beauty just like most of the women in the department, but he wasn't swoon over.

 

----

The next couple days turned into weeks. I was loving work so far. The people were great and my workload was doable. I was chosen by Mark to work alongside him on a project for a remodel of the city's museum. I had to come up with designs adjusting them to Mark's ideas. We have 3 months to work on a proposal of it before our presentation to the board members to either pass or veto it.

 

After a long night of figuring out designs to map out, I  made an appointment to meet with Mark to discuss the endless possibilities. It was the hour after work when we met in his office to go over our plans.

"How would you like it if I add ageometric arc here at the front entrance of the two double doors?" I pointed out my drawing for Mark.

"That's fine. It is a museum so I think it'd be fine to go a bit crazy with the design." He agreed with his pen resting behind his ear as his palms rubbed his cheeks.

"Exactly, since the museum should resemble art itself." I laughed at the intelligent thought.

Mark looked at me with eyes of wonder. "You perfectly fit this role of an interior designer."

I shook my head and began adding what ever structure that came into my imagination. It was quiet after some time since I was so engrossed into my own illustrating and erasing. When I finished, I lifted my paper into the light, proud at my little artwork. "So what do you think, Mark?" There was no sound. "Mark—" I looked at him beside me and his head had fallen into his open planner. His light snore was barely audible. I laughed silentl as I placed my fingers on my lips to hide away my chuckle. I packed up and decided to not wake him up to let him sleep. If I was to leave without him knowing, it'd be rude so I left a brief note.

 

We'll meet again some other time to go over the project . -M.W.

 

---- 

Mark woke up 20 minutes after May had left. He looked around to only see himself. His neck hurt a bit  so he stretched it out. He looked over his planner and found a sticky note that was initialed by May.

Mark sighed, "And she didn't even bother to wake me up."  Instead of throwing it away, without thinking, he opened his desk drawer and stuck it in there somewhere.