Truth

May I Mark Your Heart?

After the surprise meet the other day, Mark couldn't comprehend how the man is May's father. He thought she told him before that her father was a business entrepreneur. Why is the man working at a chicken factory? Apparently, Mark wasn't important to know the truth. Half upset and half mad, he wanted to talk to May this instant. Walking out of his office, he stopped by at May's desk.


"May, come see me in my office."

May glared at him and turned back to typing on the computer.

"Follow me now." His voice got demanding and May didn't want to create an unwanted scene so she got up and went after him.


Around them was thick air full of awkwardness. They haven't talked for some weeks now and it was a bit strange.

Mark sat in his chair, "It seems I'm not the only liar."

May didn't say anything. She obviously doesn't know his reference.

"You lied to me, May."

"About?"

"Your family...more specifically, your father."

May doesn't remember what it was about that she lied.

"He's not an entrepreneur after all, is he?"

It suddenly struck May, "W-what?"

"I met him. He doesn't seem to be working as a business person. Are you sure you've been truthful to me all along?"

May was about to rush out, but Mark's aggressive voice stopped her. "Why are you trying to run away from this? All you need to do is clarify it."

"Good for you Mark. I'm glad you figured I was lying to you. I guess two can play the game." She retorted with a smart mouth though deep inside she wanted to escape.

"Why?" His voice was now sad and disappointed. "Why did you lie?"

"It felt right at the time. I didn't think we'd come this far." May honestly fought back.

"This is a huge lie. Do you know that?!" He raised his voice.

She commented back, "I know! I guess I should also tell you that I lied about my mother too before you go digging around for truth." She sneered at him with attitude. "My mother isn't a famous fashion designer. She's just a woman who owns an old sewing shop. Are you happy to know about the low social status of my family?"

Mark felt like he was just stomped over with lies after lies. He just couldn't believe she also had stuff that she hid about. He knew that to his parents, family pride is a big thing and hearing this from the woman who has captured his heart made his stressed. 

"Why are you so ashamed of your family?" He asked.

"I am not ashamed of my family. I'm ashamed of you."

"Of me?"

"Can't you see you're like a trophy? You are Mark Tuan, the successful chairman of Pro-Design. Your family's name is on the top charts. You probably wouldn't mind if your life was taken today because you've lived a good one. It's shameful for you to stick so closely with someone so worthless."

"I would mind if I die today because that means I wouldn't be able to live my life with you. To describe you as worth is too low. That's like naming you as a thing and you're most certainly not a thing. You're someone special to me."

 

----

Mark was too affectionate with his words. It was the least I wanted him to do.  We were still in the midst of talking about 'us' when I brokedown.

"Mark, we know your parents won't accept this after knowing where I come from."

"They will learn to understand if this is what we really want."

I didn't want to be put through the whole persuading or proving to his family that I was worthy of their lifestyle because I wasn't. To cut the talk short, I just nodded. I still had work to do so I didn't want to be too distracted by Mark and my situation.

"Hey," he caught my hands. "Let's move slow. Let's start with me calling you my girlfriend, officially."

That sounded nice in my ears and had its way of easing the tension. I once again just nodded and he simply smiled.

 

----

The two dangled their feet into the stream that ran in between a neighborhood park that they decided to stop at during the evening for a mini date. Mark went alng describing his day and so forth as May did the same. In this moment, it felt as if their lies were all washed away. The cool wind initiated Mark to give away his sweater to his girlfriend as she leaned into his chest. Something in him told him to kiss her. He moved down to face her and hopefully catch her lips. Just as he did so, May slipped her fingers in between them.

"So, did you guys kiss?" Mark knew full well that May was mention about Kimberly and him in the past.

Suddenly, Mark's mood downcasted. "I don't want to talk about it."

"So you guys did?" Her insecurities were creeping onto her.

"It doesn't matter."

"It matters....to me. Was she your first kiss? Your first everything?"

May wanted to convey her reason that it was a big deal to her because she wants the moment to be significant for the both of them fully, not half-heartedly. If they were to kiss now, it'd be an official kiss although he already stold her first at the park scene with the co-workers.

Makr breathed, "Yes, but it was nothing. She was my first nothing."

Somehow, May found it offensive. "Will I be yout second nothing too if we don't last?"

"Don't say that."

"It's true. The first will always be remembered like a bad memory."

He fought back, "But the last engraves deeper."

May pushed herself away from Mark's chest which was just her pillow seconds ago. She also handed him back his sweater that served as her blanket. "You're my first, Mark. The way I remember you will not be the same way you remember me."

 

Suddenly, May regretted ruining the peaceful and loving mood they were just in, but she's been having those words and questions in mind that she couldn't hold back.